Dez Bryant rookie season

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cobb had 55 for 828 and, if he didn't have all the drops, would have been over 1,000. 45 for 560 is too low of an expectation, since CeeDee is more polished.

I wouldn't ever expect a rookie WR to get 1,000 yards, but I would not at be at all surprised if CeeDee got to that.
They lost over 160 targets from last year. 80+ from both Cobb and Witten. Be interesting to how they spread that around. Jarwin's targets will go up, but I dont think you will see Elliott game planned in the passing game more than before. His production will probably stay at his 2019 level. Its also hard to imagine Gallups targets going up from 113

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Within a couple of years , Dez was one of the Top 5 best WR's in the NFL ; if Lamb comes anywhere near that it will be immensely impressive............

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb is coming into a similar situation as Bryant came into as rookie, that of being the the #3 WR. I wanted to take a look at Dez's production as a rookie as well as a comparison to his situation as opposed to Lambs.

In 12 games (2 starts), Dez had 45 catchs for 561 yards and 6 TDs. Calculated over 16 games he was on pace for 60 catches, 748 yards and 8 TD's.

2010 was a real show for Dallas. That was the year Wade was fired and Garrett took over. That was also Romo broke his collarbone.

Austin was the #1 WR that year and caught 69 passes. Down from 81 the year before?

Roy Williams was the #2 WR (lol). Bryant actually out produced him while playing 3 fewer games with 7 fewer starts.

Witten had one of his best statistical years that year with 94 catches and 9 TD's.

Overall as a team, we passed 576 times that season. 2019 we passed 597 times.

Overall, I think Bryant's rookie production is a good barometer of what to expect from Lamb this year. Austin/Cooper is probably a wash. Gallup is comically better than Williams. However I dont see Jarwin coming anywhere close to Wittens production.

Assuming he plays 16 games, I think 55-65 catchs amd 750-850 yards is a reasonable expectation for Lamb

IMO, it is an insult to CeeDee Lamb to compare him to Dez. On what basis do you think so little of Lamb.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They lost over 160 targets from last year. 80+ from both Cobb and Witten. Be interesting to how they spread that around. Jarwin's targets will go up, but I dont think you will see Elliott game planned in the passing game more than before. His production will probably stay at his 2019 level. Its also hard to imagine Gallups targets going up from 113
Yea, there's going to be more opportunities in the passing game than Dez ever had early in his career, I'd think.

CeeDee is also going to be able to slide into an increased role if Cooper or Gallup gets nicked up. That's a big difference from what Cobb and Beasley could do, and different from Dez in the sense that Dez was never a slot guy.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There really wasnt a consensus as to which was the better prospect between Lamd and Jeudy

Thomas was a a pure height/weight/speed guy. He had an insanely high upside. But as a pure WR at the time he was inferior to Bryant

After Megatron, GT seemed to really look for those big and fast guys. They had a couple WR's that were very raw but big and fast
I personally thought Jeudy had the lowest floor of all the WR in this class, but IIRC nearly everyone had Lamb ranked ahead of him in mocks.

Not during last season, but in the Feb-Apr range yes.

If your point is that they were closely ranked, yes they were.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There were serious questions about his maturity. I think the cleat incident was a big red flag for alot teams. If he doesnt have the maturity issues, he wouldnt have made it out of the top 10
One of the things I kept hearing was the whole "ate dinner with Deion" talk that followed him that draft process as well.

Maverick84

Reaction score
YE9X9lM.gif

miles-austin.jpg

the_h0wey

Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb is coming into a similar situation as Bryant came into as rookie, that of being the the #3 WR. I wanted to take a look at Dez's production as a rookie as well as a comparison to his situation as opposed to Lambs.

In 12 games (2 starts), Dez had 45 catchs for 561 yards and 6 TDs. Calculated over 16 games he was on pace for 60 catches, 748 yards and 8 TD's.

2010 was a real show for Dallas. That was the year Wade was fired and Garrett took over. That was also Romo broke his collarbone.

Austin was the #1 WR that year and caught 69 passes. Down from 81 the year before.

Roy Williams was the #2 WR (lol). Bryant actually out produced him while playing 3 fewer games with 7 fewer starts.

Witten had one of his best statistical years that year with 94 catches and 9 TD's.

Overall, I think Bryant's rookie production is a good barometer of what to expect from Lamb this year. Austin/Cooper is probably a wash. Gallup is comically better than Williams. However I dont see Jarwin coming anywhere close to Wittens production.

Assuming he plays 16 games, I think 55-65 catchs amd 750-850 yards is a reasonable expectation for Lamb

Well thought out. I award you 1 like

fivetwos

Reaction score
Very good point. Didn't even realize that. I guess its less egregious than what the Raiders did leaving both on the board maybe that's why I Forgot.
I don't know there.....Ruggs has a second gear I hadn't seen since Devin Hester, and Ruggs looks like a much more polished receiver.

Its obviously going to be an interesting watch as far as this years WR class and who ends up being what.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Austin was the #1 WR that year and caught 69 passes. Down from 81 the year before.

A little off topic, but thought I would share a short story.
My Father shared a rather special friendship with David Wells, that name might not be recognizable to some, but long story short, when Dez was drafted, he lived with Wells, under his wing.
My father went over to visit, and Dez signed his first jersey as a Cowboy, my father gave it to me right before he passed away.
I need to take a picture of the jersey sig and some how figure out how to post it, Im not so tech savy..lol
Dez should have just blew it up with the sharpie, just wreck that jersey and put your stamp on it, huge, no worries, the bigger the better.
I got the first Cowboys signed Dez Jersey, and the sig is the same size as a check endorsement....lol
Just thought I would share.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't know there.....Ruggs has a second gear I hadn't seen since Devin Hester, and Ruggs looks like a much more polished receiver.

Its obviously going to be an interesting watch as far as this years WR class and who ends up being what.
I'm not saying Ruggs won't be good. But it takes more than speed to be a good receiver in this league. We will see. I always felt Jeudy or Lamb were the best in this draft. Its a coin flip.