Reaction score
miles-austin.jpg

Straight out of a Hellraiser movie.

Yeeesh.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying Ruggs won't be good. But it takes more than speed to be a good receiver in this league. We will see. I always felt Jeudy or Lamb were the best in this draft. Its a coin flip.
I watched all 3 play a lot of games and the one thing I saw with Ruggs was he continued to improve and Lamb and Jeudy, while very good WR's, he passed them up, imo. I thought he was a one trick pony but as the year wore on, he showed much more depth and polish than I'd thought.

What I had thought was his one trick pony trait is really just an added bonus. His route running in as good as theirs but he adds that one element, Hill like speed. If he gets that one step up the field, gone, baby, gone. That is, if the QB can hit him.

I recall Aikman talking about when he first got Galloway, he could not outthrow him. Galloway would take off and Aikman would let it fly and Galloway would slow down to catch it. Now, the deep ball was the weak part of Aikman's game too, had the tendency to die on him like a wounded duck. I do not think Moss would have had close to that rookie season with Aikman as his QB.

I think we should be glad Ruggs didn't end up in SEA with the best deep ball thrower in the league.

glimmerman

Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb is coming into a similar situation as Bryant came into as rookie, that of being the the #3 WR. I wanted to take a look at Dez's production as a rookie as well as a comparison to his situation as opposed to Lambs.

In 12 games (2 starts), Dez had 45 catchs for 561 yards and 6 TDs. Calculated over 16 games he was on pace for 60 catches, 748 yards and 8 TD's.

2010 was a real show for Dallas. That was the year Wade was fired and Garrett took over. That was also Romo broke his collarbone.

Austin was the #1 WR that year and caught 69 passes. Down from 81 the year before.

Roy Williams was the #2 WR (lol). Bryant actually out produced him while playing 3 fewer games with 7 fewer starts.

Witten had one of his best statistical years that year with 94 catches and 9 TD's.

Overall as a team, we passed 576 times that season. 2019 we passed 597 times.

Overall, I think Bryant's rookie production is a good barometer of what to expect from Lamb this year. Austin/Cooper is probably a wash. Gallup is comically better than Williams. However I dont see Jarwin coming anywhere close to Wittens production.

Assuming he plays 16 games, I think 55-65 catchs amd 750-850 yards is a reasonable expectation for Lamb
I think Jarwin will surprise some people. Improve his blocking and he will get plenty of reps. I think MM likes using his TE as recievers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm not saying Ruggs won't be good. But it takes more than speed to be a good receiver in this league. We will see. I always felt Jeudy or Lamb were the best in this draft. Its a coin flip.
Yep, odds are one of them dont live up to billing anyway.

I always gave the slight nod to Jeudy since he was being mentioned at the top of the class going back before last season.

One of the later round guys is going to be better than at least one of the top three.

Ruggs jumped off the screen for me though like none of the rest. That next gear thing...that could very well be moot at the next level. I figured he wasnt all that polished of a WR since those 4.2 types usually arent. I didnt get that impression.

That all said, I'm more than happy with how things unfolded for us.

Someone raised a great point after the draft on if it were Ruggs there at 17 instead of Lamb, and if they would have gone Chiasson. We will never know, but heck of a question.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I always gave the slight nod to Jeudy since he was being mentioned at the top of the class going back before last season.

One of the later round guys is going to be better than at least one of the top three.

Ruggs jumped off the screen for me though like none of the rest. That next gear thing...that could very well be moot at the next level. I figured he wasnt all that polished of a WR since those 4.2 types usually arent. I didnt get that impression.

Someone raised a great point after the draft on if it were Ruggs there at 17 instead of Lamb, and if they would have gone Chiasson. We will never know, but heck of a question.
I agree. He unfairly got compared to John Ross and Tavon Austin....Ruggs looks far more ready than those guys when they came in.

You are right though. Someone is going to flop. I hope its not Lamb. Ruggs and Jeudy seem to be in worse situations. Though Jeudy and Sutton....nice young tandem.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dez’s Rookie season wasn’t that spectacular. IMO he was much more raw coming into the NFL than Ceedee Lamb. Dez’s talent was obvious immediately but many average guys like Terrence Williams had statistically better rookie seasons.

Dez was spectacular at times for his athleticism. 2 TDs on punt returns. But Dez being spectacular was on highlite reel film like that. In terms of play to play production, he wasn't that good.

Dez wasn't known for execution. CeeDee is. He should have a big year. CeeDee is also just coming onto a better offense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I watched all 3 play a lot of games and the one thing I saw with Ruggs was he continued to improve and Lamb and Jeudy, while very good WR's, he passed them up, imo. I thought he was a one trick pony but as the year wore on, he showed much more depth and polish than I'd thought.

What I had thought was his one trick pony trait is really just an added bonus. His route running in as good as theirs but he adds that one element, Hill like speed. If he gets that one step up the field, gone, baby, gone. That is, if the QB can hit him.

I recall Aikman talking about when he first got Galloway, he could not outthrow him. Galloway would take off and Aikman would let it fly and Galloway would slow down to catch it. Now, the deep ball was the weak part of Aikman's game too, had the tendency to die on him like a wounded duck. I do not think Moss would have had close to that rookie season with Aikman as his QB.

I think we should be glad Ruggs didn't end up in SEA with the best deep ball thrower in the league.

So you believe Ruggs will be a rich mans Tyreke Hill?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Ruggs is super smooth too. He is a legit WR. Better pure WR than Ross was coming out. Ross has actually been productive when healthy

blueblood70

Reaction score
IMO I agree it will be very similar , CEDDEE does remind me of a young DEZ maybe a bit better route running but they play with passion and all out and want the ball at all costs.. both return punts etc they have very similar physical traits and combine type numbers..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dez was spectacular at times for his athleticism. 2 TDs on punt returns. But Dez being spectacular was on highlite reel film like that. In terms of play to play production, he wasn't that good.

Dez wasn't known for execution. CeeDee is. He should have a big year. CeeDee is also just coming onto a better offense.
disagree if Dez wasn't forced to sit out his senior season , he would have been even better prospect coming-out..he was beat in college and put op one of the best 3 seasons stretched in nfl history..his TD production was through the roof and that what counts most, that execution to me.... .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You’re right, Jarwin’s not a quitter.
:huh: in 2010 witten quit...wow, ok, news to me. thanks....

and Folks, this is what haters do. they just finding something to hate....Witten, perhaps one of the top 10 if not top 5 TEs to ever play the game. gave us great many years. a sure fire future HOFer. a role model for all athletes...is now a "quitter" and being mocked.

what's wrong with you people...Dak, Cooper, Zeke, Witten, Gallup, Lawrence, etc.....
grow up...

DanA

Reaction score
disagree if Dez wasn't forced to sit out his senior season , he would have been even better prospect coming-out..he was beat in college and put op one of the best 3 seasons stretched in nfl history..his TD production was through the roof and that what counts most, that execution to me.... .

Don’t think anyone disagrees with how good Dez was. There was a period where he was the biggest RedZone weapon in the NFL. But we are talking rookie expectation only rather than potential as a draftee or future career. Dez getting 6 is good but not through the roof.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb is coming into a similar situation as Bryant came into as rookie, that of being the the #3 WR. I wanted to take a look at Dez's production as a rookie as well as a comparison to his situation as opposed to Lambs.

In 12 games (2 starts), Dez had 45 catchs for 561 yards and 6 TDs. Calculated over 16 games he was on pace for 60 catches, 748 yards and 8 TD's.

2010 was a real show for Dallas. That was the year Wade was fired and Garrett took over. That was also Romo broke his collarbone.

Austin was the #1 WR that year and caught 69 passes. Down from 81 the year before.

Roy Williams was the #2 WR (lol). Bryant actually out produced him while playing 3 fewer games with 7 fewer starts.

Witten had one of his best statistical years that year with 94 catches and 9 TD's.

Overall as a team, we passed 576 times that season. 2019 we passed 597 times.

Overall, I think Bryant's rookie production is a good barometer of what to expect from Lamb this year. Austin/Cooper is probably a wash. Gallup is comically better than Williams. However I dont see Jarwin coming anywhere close to Wittens production.

Assuming he plays 16 games, I think 55-65 catchs amd 750-850 yards is a reasonable expectation for Lamb

You can't project something that happened into something that might have happened. That is nothing but guessing and speculation. The facts are Bryant played in 12 games with 45 catches and 6 TD's and that's all you can say about his rookie season, not what he MIGHT have gotten. There are factors that may have led to what Bryant's rookie numbers were but both players have different teams, coaches offensive systems so at best we'll just have to wait and see what happens with Lamb.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Don’t think anyone disagrees with how good Dez was. There was a period where he was the biggest RedZone weapon in the NFL. But we are talking rookie expectation only rather than potential as a draftee or future career. Dez getting 6 is good but not through the roof.
he was top 5 all time in DC history in a short time in every category, not just redzone threats.. CeeDEe will be lucky to be as food as Dez, Dez was a weapon all over the filed and in the return game... stop projecting CEEDEE I mean thats what this thread is doing.. right now hes a rookie with zero stats and will have to fight AC, Zeke, Pollard, Jarwin, and Gallup for balls..i think Dez rookie year is a good start for the rook..

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
His measurables were as good as alot of first round WR's. Supposedly he ran a sub 4.3 at his pro day. He was just so raw

He was an elite athlete that grinded his way into being a good NFL WR...for about 2 years. But I do agree with your earlier post that his peak during that one season 2009 was a great one. More known for run-after-catch ability...very strong and fast.

DanA

Reaction score
he was top 5 all time in DC history in a short time in every category, not just redzone threats.. CeeDEe will be lucky to be as food as Dez, Dez was a weapon all over the filed and in the return game... stop projecting CEEDEE I mean thats what this thread is doing.. right now hes a rookie with zero stats and will have to fight AC, Zeke, Pollard, Jarwin, and Gallup for balls..i think Dez rookie year is a good start for the rook..

I never said Dez was just a RedZone threat and why exactly do I need to stop projecting? What I think has no bearing on anything of importance. It’s just talk in a forum.

As I said Dez’s rookie year was good but not through the roof. I think Ceedee can do better.