Dez Bryant *shows up late* The Ben and Skin Show...Post #27

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3991958 said:
Cynicism is not a virtue. You wringing your hands over this is not a virtue and accomplishes nothing. Taking a stance of apathy or even support does nothing to enable a person you do not even know.

Add blind-faith, being glib, and overly optimistic as things that aren't virtues either.

Apathy and support doesn't enable a person and neither does criticism and questioning hinder a person from maturing.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CowboysFaninDC;3991850 said:
your attitude carries over to everything. he may be able to use his natural skills and be good. but to be really good in the NFL, its the film study, practive habits, and all the little stuff that makes the difference.

those irresponsible acts carry over to his football as well.

so the thing to do is not committ yourself. not make yourself available. but when you do, with it comes expectations. and the second thing is to communicate if you change your mind. he doesn't do that either. it shows a lack of respect for people and authority.

He may have come to some money and feeling good. but he is costing himself a lot of money. reputation and how you act will go a long way towards all the sponsorship money he can make away from football.

by all accounts last year he has a mike irvin attitude to practice, and for sure he emabarrassed his teammates throughout the year by being the ONLY guy who consistently gave 100% and didnt quit.

Yeah he sure has a bad attitude to his profession.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Failing to honor agreements and obligations does not bode well for one's character regardless of whether or not it trickles down into his practice habits and on-field performance.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3991958 said:
Cynicism is not a virtue. You wringing your hands over this is not a virtue and accomplishes nothing. Taking a stance of apathy or even support does nothing to enable a person you do not even know.

If it ever comes to me scheduling an appointment with Dez then i will care. Until then I won't unless it shows up on the football field. What i remember showing up was spectacular plays and TDs. When that changes let me know.

Maybe the people that don't know Dez can look him up on Google? I mean, that is if Dez does not have his drivers license....you can verify that it's him by looking him up on google.

:laugh2:

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
ukinto8;3991983 said:
by all accounts last year he has a mike irvin attitude to practice, and for sure he emabarrassed his teammates throughout the year by being the ONLY guy who consistently gave 100% and didnt quit.

And how exactly did you determine that Dez was the only player that "gave 100% and didn't quit?"

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3991974 said:

I listened to the interview and Dez is just as advertised.

He sounds like a sincere kid that has puncuality problems. That was a well-known issue at OSU, it was reported that he was often late to team/position meetings last year in Dallas, and it looks like it's the same issue in his private life.

He's a 22-year old kid. Couple that with the fact that he didn't have the luxury of growing up with two responsible parent figures, and not to mention that he's lived the life of a talented athlete as a young adult in Texas (high school) where kids are well known for being coddled and swept through school. Are any of those things excuses. No, but they are relevant background information.

I know the fact my dad was in the military for 20+ years made me especially aware of being punctual and on-time (meaning being there 15 minutes ahead of time, lol).

My internal meter tends to point to the pessimistic side on most things, but I'm optimistic that he'll figure it out as time goes on.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Question?

Does the fact that Dez has had ZERO run ins with the law or any incidents of being drunk or unruly have any bearing on how we should judge him?

Or does getting accosted my mall security and not paying bills trump all of that.

If he was the idiot thug that people make him out to be I think he would have had a drunk driving or disturbing the peace type of incident by this point don't you think?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
JIGGYFLY;3992013 said:
Question?

Does the fact that Dez has had ZERO run ins with the law or any incidents of being drunk or unruly have any bearing on how we should judge him?

Or does getting accosted my mall security and not paying bills trump all of that.

If he was the idiot thug that people make him out to be I think he would have had a drunk driving or disturbing the peace type of incident by this point don't you think?

There is nothing wrong with Dez, IMO...

When you get thrust into being a millionaire from living in relatively poverty, it takes time to grow into it.

A friend of mine will not play the lottery because he says if he won, the headaches of the drastic change would be to hard for him to handle.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Something something, responsibility, something something, immature, something something, grow up.

About the gist?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dodger;3992017 said:
This thread reminds me so much of this thread that it's funny.

No doubt there's an overreaction in both threads, but there's a real difference between an announced absence from an informal practice session and an unannounced no-show for a media event.

No bones about it, it was another bone-headed thing to do. Far from the end of the world, and not one where it's possible to read into it anything about Dez's upcoming performance on the field. But it's still boneheaded, and still annoying that a grown man can't manage his time better than Dez does. I can understand the fans' annoyance.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Idgit;3992037 said:
No doubt there's an overreaction in both threads, but there's a real difference between an announced absence from an informal practice session and an unannounced no-show for a media event.

No bones about it, it was another bone-headed thing to do. Far from the end of the world, and not one where it's possible to read into it anything about Dez's upcoming performance on the field. But it's still boneheaded, and still annoying that a grown man can't manage his time better than Dez does. I can understand the fans' annoyance.
And I see the difference, but still...it's just not something that I would get that worked up about. First of all, he did call in and not entirely blow them off. Second, right away Dez is apologetic and tells them why he was late, that he was sleeping after his run.

Sure, we can criticize him for it, but remember that he's still just a kid, after all, and some kids have those issues. I was late for everything at that age, yet I managed to grow out of it and get through grad school. Give the guy a little more time to grow up. I don't think he'll disappoint us.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Idgit;3992037 said:

How is it a bone-headed thing to do, if there's no bones about it?

I'll be here all night. :trollface:

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
viman96;3991640 said:
Stop looking at this in a vacuum. This is not a single instance of him blowing off a commitment. There is a pattern developing here that many do not like.

Honestly, who cares?

Charles Haley was hated by many in the media for being absolutely insane, but was a baller on the field.

If he doesn't pay his bills and gets himself in trouble for not showing up to radio shows and autograph events, that has NO ramifications on how he acts as a player.

As long as he isn't out calling himself a "slave" or getting in actual legal trouble, the rest of it are just minor inconveniences.

He isn't speaking and making us as fans or the team look like fools. He isn't going to clubs and getting arrested. All of the "Personal life" things that are going on really aren't our business. That is the huge difference in football now compared to the 70's,80's,90's. There are crazy stories about John Riggins and a lot of other athletes but they were reported after the fact. We live in the tabloid era that over blows every situation to get ratings and reports on non-sports issue all of the time like it's TMZ instead of ESPN or DMN.

Just my thoughts.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Muhast;3992054 said:
Honestly, who cares?

Charles Haley was hated by many in the media for being absolutely insane, but was a baller on the field.

If he doesn't pay his bills and gets himself in trouble for not showing up to radio shows and autograph events, that has NO ramifications on how he acts as a player.

As long as he isn't out calling himself a "slave" or getting in actual legal trouble, the rest of it are just minor inconveniences.

He isn't speaking and making us as fans or the team look like fools. He isn't going to clubs and getting arrested. All of the "Personal life" things that are going on really aren't our business. That is the huge difference in football now compared to the 70's,80's,90's. There are crazy stories about John Riggins and a lot of other athletes but they were reported after the fact. We live in the tabloid era that over blows every situation to get ratings and reports on non-sports issue all of the time like it's TMZ instead of ESPN or DMN.

Just my thoughts.

This is a real good post...and I agree with what you said.

:bow:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Muhast;3992054 said:
Honestly, who cares?

Just my thoughts.
I totally agree with you.

treykin32

Reaction score
ukinto8;3991983 said:

:signmast: This right here..