Dez criticism on NFL network

dfense

Reaction score
Anybody catch the piece they did criticizing Dez? Reggie Wayne was talking about how Dez really doesn't do anything really good. Routes, speed, getting open, etc.

What was funny though, is the whole time he's talking, they're running clips of Dez with passes hitting his ankles, two feet behind him, or sailing over his head. One clip he jumps like three feet higher than anyone around him but the ball is still sails six feet over his head. Only one clip had him actually dropping a pass.

I thought it was funny. None of the other talking heads said anything about the passes.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, most of the time when you're having problems with routes, speed, and getting open (which can be all related), the ball isn't coming your way so it's hard to find examples.
look, the guy isn't the same guy he was even last year, time to move on.

I can think of 2 passes during the first game which Dez miss-timed his jump or they were easy completions.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Routes are an issue but the reality of this is the earlier foot injuries took their toll. Dez’s main “thing”, even in college, was the ability to just bully and out athlete DBs. He was a freight train that was hard to handle. The injuries took that speed/burst/brute force and now we are seeing a stripped down version. When you don’t have that “thing” then the things like routes and position become more important

Sydla

Reaction score
Our passing game problems are tied to Dak and Dez. That's just reality. As pointed out, his target numbers will seem high but how many are really high quality targets? But on the flipside, he's run some lazy routes at times, he's dropped catchable balls and he's done things like that alligator arms move on the sideline against the Eagles.

Sometimes, things just don't work for whatever reason. It's going to be interesting to see where this "relationship" goes. Dak and Dez can't continue to be on different pages going forward.

visionary

Reaction score
Anybody catch the piece they did criticizing Dez? Reggie Wayne was talking about how Dez really doesn't do anything really good. Routes, speed, getting open, etc.

What was funny though, is the whole time he's talking, they're running clips of Dez with passes hitting his ankles, two feet behind him, or sailing over his head. One clip he jumps like three feet higher than anyone around him but the ball is still sails six feet over his head. Only one clip had him actually dropping a pass.

I thought it was funny. None of the other talking heads said anything about the passes.

Maybe just maybe the passes are hitting his ankles or sailing over his head because he's running the wrong route or at the wrong depth?

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe just maybe the passes are hitting his ankles or sailing over his head because he's running the wrong route or at the wrong depth?

Maybe or maybe not. For example, Dak threw two screens to him at his ankles. All Dez has to do it stand there and wait for the pass and Dak nearly one hopped him twice in the Eagles game.

visionary

Reaction score
Maybe or maybe not. For example, Dak threw two screens to him at his ankles. All Dez has to do it stand there and wait for the pass and Dak nearly one hopped him twice in the Eagles game.

I'm not absolving Dak, he has to share the blame but Dez has had problems running routes, knowing where to line up etc even when Romo was here

The Natural

Reaction score
lol @ the mental gymnastics CZ posters go through. "The ball sailed over his head because he ran the wrong route! it's at his ankles because he wasn't at the right depth!" Next it's going to be the ball went out of bounds because Dez didn't use his go go gadget arms to stop it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
People love trashing Dez while ignoring the fact that none of the other receivers, including Witten, are doing a damn thing this season either.

Beasley hasn't had a single game this year with more than 35 yards receiving this year and is averaging 7.5 yards per reception – worse than his rookie year.

I guess he magically can't run routes anymore either?

Sydla

Reaction score
lol @ the mental gymnastics CZ posters go through. "The ball sailed over his head because he ran the wrong route! it's at his ankles because he wasn't at the right depth!" Next it's going to be the ball went out of bounds because Dez didn't use his go go gadget arms to stop it.

Yeah but the flipside to this is the Dez lovers who basically think he's a god out there.

He's not been the same since the leg injuries IMO (and the contract extension).

The Natural

Reaction score
People love trashing Dez while ignoring the fact that none of the other receivers, including Witten, are doing a damn thing this season either.

Beasley hasn't had a single game this year with more than 35 yards receiving this year and is averaging 7.5 yards per reception – worse than his rookie year.

Beasley isn't running the correct depth on his routes. Witten hasn't been doing it for years, maybe that's who Dez learned it from.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but the flipside to this is the Dez lovers who basically think he's a god out there.

Let them say he's a "top 10 receiver" and worth the top 5 money he's being paid. The only thing they succeed in doing is indicting their own credibility.

This has quickly moved into one of those "cap conversations" that needs to happen between player and management.

Given what an emotional guy Dez is, I can't help but wonder how that conversation will go. But it's obvious that it needs to happen after this season.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score

I have seen no one say he is a god.

But if anyone thinks swapping Dez with any other receiver in the league in this offense would matter to the extent of winning a game we lost, you would be dissappointed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Well was the defender right on his hip? If so then where are you going to throw the ball? You have to throw it where the defender isnt or cant get it. Brady does it all the time and the receiver has to adjust to get it. Now certainly there are some balls too far off, but thats the gist of it.

Jenky

Reaction score

Mentioned this too. All the receivers are suffering and there’s one common denominator.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Let them say he's a "top 10 receiver" and worth the top 5 money he's being paid. The only thing they succeed in doing is indicting their own credibility.

This has quickly moved into one of those "cap conversations" that needs to happen between player and management.

Given what an emotional guy Dez is, I can't help but wonder how that conversation will go. But it's obvious that it needs to happen after this season.

Im going to have to disagree with you on this one. Dez is NOT a top 10 receiver in my opinion. And is grossly overpaid. He has basically 3-5 routes he does and rarely gets separation. Cant get deep and is actually slow after the catch. I cant even remember the last time he caught a long TD.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have seen no one say he is a god.

But if anyone thinks swapping Dez with any other receiver in the league in this offense would matter to the extent of winning a game we lost, you would be dissappointed.

It was hyperbole to prove a point. Some people around here struggle to lay any real blame on Dez, still believing he's an elite WR.

It's impossible to project wins or losses if you start swapping players but yeah, I think there are better #1 WRs out there than Dez. A few years ago, I'd have said he was a Top 5 WR. He's no longer that. But that's also not to say I think he's a bum either.

And FWIW, to me there is a third layer here to the Dez/Dak problem........... the coaching staff. We don't seem to be nearly as creative at creating opportunities for Dez that you see other teams do with their top WRs.