Dez criticism on NFL network

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im going to have to disagree with you on this one. Dez is NOT a top 10 receiver in my opinion. And is grossly overpaid. He has basically 3-5 routes he does and rarely gets separation. Cant get deep and is actually slow after the catch. I cant even remember the last time he caught a long TD.

Oh, I'm not saying he is, I'm saying that his defenders will still claim that he is. Trust me, I've been attacked on this subject plenty of times to know the deal at this point. His fans will always claim that the poor results are the result of something other than him.

He's getting paid top 5 money and is barely giving top 30 results. I've done the research.

If you really want a kick in the pills, look for his last 100-yard game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have seen no one say he is a god.

But if anyone thinks swapping Dez with any other receiver in the league in this offense would matter to the extent of winning a game we lost, you would be dissappointed.

I would keep Beasley, the rest I would hit the reset button. Dez is overpaid and over the hill and Williams just isnt very good. I would go out and get guys with speed that can stretch the D and beat single coverage. Guys that can settle into the zones or catch crossing patterns and get YAC. We have Zeke to get it in the endzone when we are in the redzone and Dak to run it in. Dak prefers quick guys that get open over the middle. We are a running team first and we need play action big play guys that can stretch the Defense for Zeke.

That is the EXACT opposite of what we have in Dallas. I have mentioned Martavius Bryant because I think he is a very good speed receiver that we could get for cheap in the offseason in a trade. Id put him at the #2 and then sign another quality veteran on the other side after I cut Dez and Wililams and possibly draft a young kid this year.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
It was hyperbole to prove a point. Some people around here struggle to lay any real blame on Dez, still believing he's an elite WR.
Well its not proving the right point.

Everyone bags on Dez's routes, but have you looked at 90% of the routes we run? Hell Beasley is abojt 80% on 5 yard outs-higher in the slot.

Im not a Def Cord, but you can watch 3 straight games of Dallas and pick up a ton of tendencies of this passing game.

Then go watch NE, NO, Sea, Pitt, etc and see if there is a difference

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not saying he is, I'm saying that his defenders will still claim that he is. Trust me, I've been attacked on this subject plenty of times to know the deal at this point. His fans will always claim that the poor results are the result of something other than him.

He's getting paid top 5 money and is barely giving top 30 results. I've done the research.

If you really want a kick in the pills, look for his last 100-yard game.

Ok I got ya. Yah, Dez to me is done. But this is where Jerry fails as a GM. He is too in love with HIS guys and will most likely keep Dez and Williams.

Truth is this team needs a complete overhaul in coaching and offensive and defensive systems.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
to me to plain and simple... he doesnt have romo passing to him anymore.

Even when Romo was passing to him those last year or two he didnt do much. He would disappear for entire halves of football games. How quickly we forget.

Sydla

Reaction score

Everyone bags on Dez's routes, but have you looked at 90% of the routes we run? Hell Beasley is abojt 80% on 5 yard outs-higher in the slot.

Im not a Def Cord, but you can watch 3 straight games of Dallas and pick up a ton of tendencies of this passing game.

Actually, yes, it's the right point.

Dez is a problem. Dak is a problem. The coach is a problem.

Trying to absolve Dez of any real blame here is misguided.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I would keep Beasley, the rest I would hit the reset button. Dez is overpaid and over the hill and Williams just isnt very good. I would go out and get guys with speed that can stretch the D and beat single coverage. Guys that can settle into the zones or catch crossing patterns and get YAC. We have Zeke to get it in the endzone when we are in the redzone and Dak to run it in. Dak prefers quick guys that get open over the middle. We are a running team first and we need play action big play guys that can stretch the Defense for Zeke.

That is the EXACT opposite of what we have in Dallas. I have mentioned Martavius Bryant because I think he is a very good speed receiver that we could get for cheap in the offseason in a trade. Id put him at the #2 and then sign another quality veteran on the other side after I cut Dez and Wililams and possibly draft a young kid this year.

DAK really doesnt prefer the middle. He likes safe out throws. Throw charts have shown where most go

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I got ya. Yah, Dez to me is done. But this is where Jerry fails as a GM. He is too in love with HIS guys and will most likely keep Dez and Williams.

Truth is this team needs a complete overhaul in coaching and offensive and defensive systems.

Preaching to the choir on that!

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I’m actually a little stunned, as I posted earlier, that there are large groups of people that believe he is the same but it’s a QB issue. There was a significant drop in his physical ability since injuries. Even losing one step allows DBs to play you differently. I also agree with the earlier coaching comment. Why not get him some quicker throws in space over the LBs and let him use his upper body. He’s not a guy beating people on posts

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I mean Wow!!! Watching Seattle the other night was just numbing. All these great little plays, screens, guys wide open ect...ect... Now Wilson is top 5, but they have a bad Oline and no run game to speak of with the backs. That is all wilson and scheme.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Actually, yes, it's the right point.

Dez is a problem. Dak is a problem. The coach is a problem.

Trying to absolve Dez of any real blame here is misguided.
Well no one did that. He has faults for sure, but the majority is losing technique once Jimmy Robinson left

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I mean Wow!!! Watching Seattle the other night was just numbing. All these great little plays, screens, guys wide open ect...ect... Now Wilson is top 5, but they have a bad Oline and no run game to speak of with the backs. That is all wilson and scheme.
Amazing how that works.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I'm not absolving Dak, he has to share the blame but Dez has had problems running routes, knowing where to line up etc even when Romo was here

Back in 2010-2012. Then that all went away and Dez was beasting. Now that has all returned? I don't think so.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Amazing how that works.

There is no "system" in Dallas. No great "scheme". "next man up" doest work here because the system is a joke. When the high level talent goes out, the team cant function and coaches cant coach. In other places like Philly, Seattle, Patriots, guys go out and the ship keeps sailing straight. Because there is a good system in place. The schemes are quality.

triplets92

Reaction score
when u start losing every body starts taking their shots but dez is just a average receiver any more he don't scare any defenses

I agree with you to an extent but I will add that Dak isn't doing him any favors. ***THIS IS NOT A BASH DAK STATEMENT *** With Tony at Qb Dez was at his best for 2 reasons. 1. Ball placement was better and 2. Tony trusted Dez more in 1 on 1 coverage. those two things combined allowed Dez to be confident and physical at the point of attack. Dak either forces it too him or doesn't give him a lot of accurate balls. at least this season it looks that way.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well no one did that. He has faults for sure, but the majority is losing technique once Jimmy Robinson left

Actually some have done that...........

And FWIW, I am in no way suggesting we need to dump Dez or anything like that. But let's call a spade a spade........... he shouldn't be free from heavy criticism here just like Dak and the coaching staff.

Frankly, this is why I am bullish on blowing this thing up from a coaching perspective. I don't want to waste another year of Dak development and another year of Dez still having some talent on this mediocre coaching staff.

dfense

Reaction score
Maybe just maybe the passes are hitting his ankles or sailing over his head because he's running the wrong route or at the wrong depth?
You're probably right.
Well was the defender right on his hip? If so then where are you going to throw the ball? You have to throw it where the defender isnt or cant get it. Brady does it all the time and the receiver has to adjust to get it. Now certainly there are some balls too far off, but thats the gist of it.
Every pass they showed was bad.
The only decent pass they showed was a drop.
If they were trying to rip on Dez, they could have ran more clips of his dtops. I'm sure not every pass from Dak was bad. But thats the impression they were giving.