Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
My opinion of Emmitt changed when he held out. It will with Dez also.

maybe it's me but i just dont get that wrapped up in the business side of things. i can understand the pressures both sides are under and both want to maximize value. period.

getting mad at one side or the other to me is a waste of time. while i may not agree with dez on holding out, im not the one with millions on the line that can go POOF in a tragic 4th of july accident to lose your career. get what you can while you can. if he feels he can get more that's what he's doing. jones won't sign him for more than he's willing to risk. both sides are putting MILLIONS on the line and that's more than im likely to make in my own lifetime.

heh, the difference between what is offered and what is demanded could feed a small country for a long long long long time...just the difference.

in any event, no my mind won't change because this is just another facet of the game. if he's there for opening day or when he comes back, he will. i just think something will be done today and all the hand wringers will move onto something else to wring 'em over.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are 100 percent wrong. Holding out will be using his leverage to get a one year deal with a clause saying he cant be re tagged next season. And get paid for the games he missed. He can benefit him more then us.

And you think the Cowboys will then bow to him? Good luck with that. If he sits out, I suspect the Cowboys will just let him sit there. And if the Cowboys get off to a decent start, Bryant is then cooked.

Jenky

Reaction score
After 3 pl CST today, there's nothing that can be agreed too, He either plays for the 12.8, doesn't play which means NO MONEY or signs a long term deal......Dez holding out 10 games accomplishes what, that's 10 game checks he never gets back so he's not going to hold out,,and he'd only get paid for the 6 games he played....

They can't conjure a multiyear deal. They can put together a 1 year deal with clauses.

Sydla

Reaction score
No they can't but taking a vacation in the middle of negotiations is just blatant stupidity. So is risking the season predicated on the notion he loves football and won't be able to stay away

So let me understand this. You admit that they can't give Bryant whatever he wants but then still blame them even though Bryant apparently has a ridiculous number in mind (more than CJ).

Huh?

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
not really

he can play, dont get me wrong...but his attitude has always made me hesitant to trust him...his fb/twitter/instagram pictures add to that.

dont really put him much above randle as far as the "between the ears" goes.

the thought of buying a dez jersey has never crossed my mind once.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can answer that question. Not one person on the board has any idea what has been offered to Dez and what Dez is asking for. You can assume and listen to the BS insiders and sources but we have no freaking clue.

The answer is yes if Dez is asking for some unreasonable payday. No if the Jones are trying to lowball him.

Reactions: BAZ

Rogah

Reaction score
They did decide to just go on vacation for almost a week during negotiations. Thats just ridiculous.
How so? Should they have been at their desks, wringing their hands, waiting for the phone to ring?

I am betting both Jerruh and Steven had computers and phones with them on vacation.

BluMen

Reaction score
After 3 pl CST today, there's nothing that can be agreed too, He either plays for the 12.8, doesn't play which means NO MONEY or signs a long term deal......Dez holding out 10 games accomplishes what, that's 10 game checks he never gets back so he's not going to hold out,,and he'd only get paid for the 6 games he played....

What he will get paid for the six games is more than he has made in a single season under his old contract. I think it would be about 5 million. Its funny how teams rarely redo the contract for guy's who are under paid but when the player finally has the opportunity to get their value then the player is wrong for wanting to be paid what they a worth.

John813

Reaction score
So Jerry and Stephen should have given in to Bryant's demands to be paid more than Calvin Johnson?

Well, it would give ammo to posters who need something else to complain about in the future.
Couple years down the road
"thanks Jerry for overpaying Dez and etc... now we can't re-sign/sign ______!"

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
No. He is a great receiver under or not under contract.

He is playing hardball to maximize any contract he can ultimately receive. The front office is looking short-term and long-term to maximize the salary cap. I don't blame either party.

I do blame the hard salary cap structure of the NFL and have done so for over twenty years. A soft salary cap would have generated a contract agreement much sooner in my opinion. Jones would have given him close or exactly what Bryant wanted if there were no salary cap at all. The NFL salary cap is a parity driven, restrictive piece of hey family forum.

That is one great response there. I wish I know how to give you a clapping emoticon.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's because deals usually get done before the deadline for players of Dez's caliber. Most GMs aren't this clueless.

Actually they don't. For example, 6 guys were tagged this year - Bryant, Thomas, Houston, JPP, Gostowski and Clay. Clay was transition and Gostowski is a K. So throw them out. So that leaves 4 high profile players that were tagged this offseason. Guess how many signed long term deals?

Zero.

In 2014, Greg Hardy, Jimmy Graham, Brian Orakapo, Nick Folk, Alex Mack, Jason Worilds were tagged. Throw out Folk he's a kicker and Mack was a transition tag. Of the 4 remaining players, guess how many signed long term deals before the tag drop date? Only one - Graham.

So in two years, 8 guys were truly franchised. Only one signed before the tag deadline.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
So Jerry and Stephen should have given in to Bryant's demands to be paid more than Calvin Johnson?

Not necessarily, but they could have continued speaking at least. It seems that the Jones' assumed they had all the leverage...they didn't need to do a thing because Dez needed the money and loves football so much he would come crawling back by now. That was stupid (and an insulting thing to say publicly.)

Sydla

Reaction score
It would absolutely change my opinion about him. And it might cause the owners and players to re-visit how this should be used. Anthony Spencer is EXACTLY the type of situation this was created for. Dez Bryant. A top 2 or 3 player at his position. Who has been underpaid for years. And the owners had EVERY opportunity to walk up to him and give him a raise....like they walk up to players that are under performing and ask them to take a paycut or get cut. They chose not to do that. Dez never complained. And now when it is time to make it right....they can't make it right. This is not how this is supposed to work. He is hurt and confused.

This young man has experienced disappointment after disappointment. From his less than ideal upbringing, to the issues with his mom's incarceration, to all the leeches in college who caused him to lose his eligibility, to dropping in the draft, to being asked is his mom is a prostitute, AND....to some of his OWN doing. Then making it to the pros....and BALLING out. Being UNDERPAID. Trying so desperate to distance himself from his past...he offered to work for Jordan Brand for FREE. He was simply trying to distance himself from his past. To making the play of the year in the playoffs....then having it STOLEN from him. This young man has been driven to finally get his chance at redemption. And the organization....whom not he thought would help him make it right. Showed him once again...what this is REALLY all about. And if they do not get him signed....and he sits....he once again...will realize that in this LIFE...you better trust yourself and look out for number 1 first....because that is what everyone else does!

His loyalty is being tested. And he is lashing out like a wounded animal. And if this continues to go the way it is going....this will be life changing for him. He will seriously question if they passion he has...towards football...is misplaced

Fans want the players to do it for the love. Owners....10 times out of 10. Do this FIRST and FOREMOST....for the money!

Painting Bryant as some victim is bizarre. It's his own issues off the field and decisions he's made, that has made Dallas draw a line in the sand. It's Bryant's own actions that makes Dallas apparently want to put clauses in a contract that would allow them to recoup some guaranteed money if Bryant steps out of line off the field.

Don't blame the system. Or the owners. Or football. You knew the system going in. This is how it works. You knew your past issues would be a problem. You knew that your continued immaturity and irresponsibility would be an issue. You can't cry now that a team who is about to spend $40MM or more on you wants some protections against you slipping back into old habits.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Actually they don't. For example, 6 guys were tagged this year - Bryant, Thomas, Houston, JPP, Gostowski and Clay. Clay was transition and Gostowski is a K. So throw them out. So that leaves 4 high profile players that were tagged this offseason. Guess how many signed long term deals?

Zero.

In 2014, Greg Hardy, Jimmy Graham, Brian Orakapo, Nick Folk, Alex Mack, Jason Worilds were tagged. Throw out Folk he's a kicker and Mack was a transition tag. Of the 4 remaining players, guess how many signed long term deals before the tag drop date? Only one - Graham.

So in two years, 8 guys were truly franchised. Only one signed before the tag deadline.

Pretty good info. I don't like the odds of anything getting done by 3pm today, so I suspect the drama will continue to play out with more specifics on what Dez would agree to on a one year deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
There a few:

1) They can agree to a 1 year deal for X amount that includes a no franchise tag clause next year.

2) He can stay true to his word, hold out 10 games play the last 6, and if Dallas tries to franchise tag him again next year, they have a few choices to make cause he obviously wouldn't be bluffing again.

And they'll likely draft a WR, maybe get a 2nd tier WR in free agency and then say, have fun Dez, missing out on another $10MM or more in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.