Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Natural

Reaction score
Nope, gotta do what you gotta do. I fully support him vocalizing that he will sit out, however (and I could be very wrong) I think he loves football too much to do so for an extended time. We've had hall of famers come through here that I don't believe had half the love of football and pride in this franchise that Dez has. Unfortunately the Jones boys probably think this too and that's why Stephen feels so comfortable doing his best Patriots impression. Hopefully their arses get stung

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
If Bryant follows through on his threat to hold out if no long term deal is reached, would that change your opinion of him

Not 1 iota! The team Gambled on Dez passion for football thinking he would cave. Dez showed up to otas with no signed contract because he loves the cowboys. He gives his all just like Wit and Tony. No reason he should not have a long term deal.

And if Denver and Dallas really were in cahoots i applaud him.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
Obviously you're emotionally invested and can't bring anything to the table.

Right. That's what it is. OK.

But here's what I originally said:

That's because deals usually get done before the deadline for players of Dez's caliber. Most GMs aren't this clueless.
Anthony Spencer is no Dez Bryant.

Does anyone really want to argue that point? Or am I just being "emotionally invested"?

Last edited:

Frozen700

Reaction score
If Bryant follows through on his threat to hold out if no long term deal is reached, would that change your opinion of him

Let's keep it real. People on here will say anything. Then when the time comes and he plays even after missing games they will be back on his wagon.

Whether we like it or not he will get paid. Regardless if he misses games, dudes on here will still celebrate once he scores, and start a bunch of Dez threads.

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
My opinion would be exactly what has always been. He is still maturing but has not arrived. He has more missteps in his future and holding out would be one. If he cared about his financial future, he would prepare his body and also get reps by being with his team as they get ready for a new season. He can be mad at the org. but he is cutting his nose off to spite his face if he misses games and practices.

Brooksey

Reaction score

Yes, Dez should be at camp and sign the tag, if not he's an idiot. He's not worth that much money to us. 5 Years 60 Million, guarantee 3 years or bye bye.

NE and Sea didn't need a 100 million dollar WR. They did it with Julian Edleman.

Our line is good enough where we can win without him.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
12.8 million guaranteed money is unfair to you....please!

It IS unfair if Mike Wallace is getting $12M and $30M guaranteed and the 'Boys haven't come close to offering that type of guaranteed $$$$$. He is absolutely RIGHT for seeing past contracts given to lesser players being bigger than what he's being offered. My opinion has changed - for the better.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
No. I generally side with the player over the owner. Unless Dez is asking for a ridiculous amount that is not feasible (and I don't think he is), then I don't see why the Cowboys cannot get him a long term contract.

Jerry Jones and his entire family tree will never have to worry about going bankrupt. While a lot of NFL players have thrown away their fortune on silly stuff, the fact is that a high percentage of them have gone broke and the fact is that Jerry Jones and his family tree could spend more money on sillier stuff and they will never go broke.

The player has to get what they can. And the only things you deserve in life are the things you earn. And Dez has earned a new contract as far as I'm concerned. He might not deserve Calvin Johnson money, but I have no problem giving him the #2 WR in the league money.

The other issue is that it is a long standing, unwritten rule in the NFL that when a player has outplayed their contract that the team will make a good faith effort to get them a new contract that fits their performance. This is because the team should 'do right by the player' as they can cut the player virtually at any time and save themselves a lot of money.

Again...if they have unreasonable demands I can always understand the team's point of view. Otherwise, I side with the player.

YR

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Yes, Dez should be at camp and sign the tag, if not he's an idiot. He's not worth that much money to us. 5 Years 60 Million, guarantee 3 years or bye bye.

NE and Sea didn't need a 100 million dollar WR. They did it with Julian Edleman.

Our line is good enough where we can win without him.

So, you're saying Dez should NOT receive more than Mike Wallace got based of what Seattle (whom Dallas beat) and NE did? Ok.....................

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My understanding is that there is a long way to go for the Cowboys and Dez Bryant to actually strike a long-term deal," Rapoport said, "Now, these are active negotiations and both sides are going to keep at it tonight and into tomorrow before the 4 p.m. deadline. As far as what the Cowboys have put on the table, from what I'm being told, the average per year is more than the $12.8 million franchise tag, which means the Cowboys have come up significantly from their offer last August, which averaged $10 million over the first six years."
Rapoport noted that "there is a lot of ground to make up" as Bryant still seeks a pact in the neighborhood of Calvin Johnson's annual $16 million price tag.

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/if-b...nion-of-him-change.325581/page-5#post-6178568

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
12.8 million guaranteed money is unfair to you....please!

It takes away all leverage for a player and puts them at risk for a long term deal. If a player is good enough for a tag, that means the market values them for a lot more than that guarantee. The tag is used to create leverage for ownership.

Full stop.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Yes and no

As a player on my team I will be disappointed as a fan that he chose this road to gain more dollars when reports out there imply that he was given a pretty fair offer. For him to hold out after today has absolutely no positive effect on his negotiations because a new deal can't be signed after today until next year. So in essence he is hurting his teammates and fans, not Cowboy ownership.

As far as thinking less of him as a person if he holds out ? No... I don't know him , never met him, don't have a high personal opinion of him now so this threat has no effect on my personal opinion of him

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

No.

Why would it?

He has the right to fight for the value he believes he has.

Did you feel differently about Emmitt Smith when he held out?

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Painting Bryant as some victim is bizarre. It's his own issues off the field and decisions he's made, that has made Dallas draw a line in the sand. It's Bryant's own actions that makes Dallas apparently want to put clauses in a contract that would allow them to recoup some guaranteed money if Bryant steps out of line off the field.

Don't blame the system. Or the owners. Or football. You knew the system going in. This is how it works. You knew your past issues would be a problem. You knew that your continued immaturity and irresponsibility would be an issue. You can't cry now that a team who is about to spend $40MM or more on you wants some protections against you slipping back into old habits.

Please name those decisions........................

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
I'm sick of hearing about the business side of football. I miss the time when it was just a game without all the money and commercials and glitz and lawsuits and PR. I don't think the game is more exciting though the athletes are certainly more talented. So when Dez or JJ say that it is a business, I'm just sad because I remember when it was a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.