Dez heads to VR to Possibly Sign Deal **merged**

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
You are 100 percent wrong. Holding out will be using his leverage to get a one year deal with a clause saying he cant be re tagged next season. And get paid for the games he missed. He can benefit him more then us.

I would bet my house that the Cowboys would let him sit before giving that 1-year clause. I don't even know why that is even brought up. So let me get this straight, give in to him and then allow him to walk after this year with NO compensation. Yah right that's going to happen.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not necessarily, but they could have continued speaking at least. It seems that the Jones' assumed they had all the leverage...they didn't need to do a thing because Dez needed the money and loves football so much he would come crawling back by now. That was stupid (and an insulting thing to say publicly.)

How do you know that it's the Jones' who have cut off speaking?

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
Actually they don't. For example, 6 guys were tagged this year - Bryant, Thomas, Houston, JPP, Gostowski and Clay. Clay was transition and Gostowski is a K. So throw them out. So that leaves 4 high profile players that were tagged this offseason. Guess how many signed long term deals?

Zero.

In 2014, Greg Hardy, Jimmy Graham, Brian Orakapo Nick Folk, Alex Mack, Jason Worilds were tagged. Throw out Folk he's a kicker and Mack was a transition tag. Of the 4 remaining players, guess how many signed long term deals before the tag drop date? Only one - Graham.

So in two years, 8 guys were truly franchised. Only one signed before the tag deadline.

Thanks for making my point. Hardy, Graham, and Orakpo are no longer with the teams that franchised them. Bye-bye, Dez.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would bet my house that the Cowboys would let him sit before giving that 1-year clause. I don't even know why that is even brought up. So let me get this straight, give in to him and then allow him to walk after this year with NO compensation. Yah right that's going to happen.

People use Greg Hardy getting that clause in his contract but that's two totally different situations. Hardy was a free agent and it was used as an incentive to come here.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
How do you know that it's the Jones' who have cut off speaking?

I don't. But if what I heard in the media is correct, the Jones' thought they were in a great position...they had leverage on their side. That's where my comment stems from. They thought Dez would have to blink first.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thanks for making my point. Hardy, Graham, and Orakpo are no longer with the teams that franchised them. Bye-bye, Dez.

You said smart teams don't let their players play under the tag. But teams do. All the time. And the three above don't prove your point. All three played under the tag. Hardy would still be a Panther if not for his domestic violence case. Their owner came out and said that's why they let him go. Graham was traded. Plus Graham is the ONE EXAMPLE of a guy not playing under the tag. He signed a deal before his tag deadline. So how does that prove your point?

And Orakpo played under the tag and then the Commanders chose not to tag him the 2nd year or resign him to a bigger contract.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score

1. Hardy... well we know what happened with him, legal issues.
2. Graham was traded in a big deal due to all the big cap hits the Saints had.
3. Orakpo, he isn't on the same level as those other players.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't. But if what I heard in the media is correct, the Jones' thought they were in a great position...they had leverage on their side. That's where my comment stems from. They thought Dez would have to blink first.

Reality is they do have more leverage.

snapper

Reaction score
No. It's a business. I'm don't expect the guy to solve the world's problems, I expect him to catch the football and make plays.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
It would get lower and it's pretty low now. Dragging this though social media is not the mark of intelligence. Dez has always been his own worse enemy.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
What he will get paid for the six games is more than he has made in a single season under his old contract. I think it would be about 5 million. Its funny how teams rarely redo the contract for guy's who are under paid but when the player finally has the opportunity to get their value then the player is wrong for wanting to be paid what they a worth.

and that's 8 million he wouldn't get paid that is lost forever if he held out 10 games.........Dez is playing under the rules the Owners and the NFLPA agreed too with regards to contracts......and Dez dropped in the draft losing out on millions because of his own actions while in college, lying to investigators and suspended for his last year while in college, that's on him, not the owners....and clearly there's still some issues going on that you and I don't know about that is keeping Jerry from handing out a huge contract with a guy that's had some issues off the field....and like with Murray, you don't overpay for a position that hampers you from retaining other key parts of your team and over the last few years, receivers are becoming less of a value for the position since there's plenty of receivers coming out of college and having great years so there's no need to overpay for Dez....Receivers are a dime a dozen, Laurant Robinson came in here a few years ago and had a career year costing nothing, Dez isn't the end all be all...

Iago33

Reaction score
I'd be done with him. And I think he would destroy any chances of being here for the long term. Time to move on.

Rogah

Reaction score
Not necessarily, but they could have continued speaking at least.
What does that even mean? What, do you think these guys are on the phone with Bryant's representatives 8 hours a day, 5 days a week?

I have zero doubt whatsoever that each party was accessible to the other party at all times (24/7) over the past month.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Reality is they do have more leverage.

I think a lot of this has to do with that leverage and how it could be shifted more to all players' advantage. From an agent, player, even NFLPA perspective, they would all love to see one player do what Dez is threatening to do, just to see if they can get an owner to blink and possibly budge on rescinding that tag for the second year. It would set a huge precedent for players going forward because they could all point to Dez getting what he wanted. Condon would look like a genius and players would gain another huge bargaining chip.

I think Dez's threat is very real and he has an insane amount of people in his ear egging him on to do it because of what it could mean to them going forward. If Jerry and Stephen cave on this with Dez, then we can expect this to become very common in future years.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
I've honestly never liked him...

I don't know why, but to me, he's been the least likeable, yet successful player that we've had in a while.

U just dont like a productive, hardworking, extremely gifted player for no reason?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My view of him will not change, I like Dez and I think he is a good guy. I think he is being given bad advice from his agent and I have concerns over how much influence Rock Nation has over him. Dez is not a business man, he is a football player and I think he has put his trust in the wrong people.

Status
Not open for further replies.