Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Dez is acting like a guy without a nickel in his pocket. He's got $30+ million in his future no matter what.

The way he's acting makes me less excited about him though. He's acting like a big baby right now.

He's going to get paid, one way or the other. So why is he freaking out? Thomas isn't freaking out.

His immaturity gives Dallas legitimate concerns when it comes to committing $40+ million here. They shouldn't do that.

Dez has a guaranteed 30m? Where?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The patriots won a superbowl last year with the deadly combination of Chandler Jones (6 sacks) and Rob Ninkovich (8 sacks) as the starting DE's. And they added depth in Jabaal Sheard and his 2 sacks in Cleveland last year.....

I believe the Patriots would love the opportunity to sign Dez. As would the Seahawks. They tried to create a WR in Percy Harvin, then traded for Graham from the saints to give Wilson some weapons.

I'm sure they'd love to have Dez too. But why would they pay him what he wants? They win without top WR's.

Rogah

Reaction score
Question here.....

Lets say that Dez does not get a deal and doesn't sign his tag. If he does indeed sit out a few games all the while Dallas flourishes on offense while not skipping a beat.

Can Dallas rescind the tag then or is permanent after July 15th?
I believe they can rescind it at any time they want if it is unsigned. If they do, he becomes an unrestricted free agent, which would likely make him very happy.

Once he has signed it, the money becomes fully guaranteed - assuming, of course, he actually shows up and plays. Also, as our good friend Jason Pierre-Paul recently found out, it is not guaranteed if you miss action due to a non-football injury.

Last edited:

Romonater

Reaction score
No, I think that's fair because it's the market being established.

I understand economics. You think money is a reward. It isn't. It's a reflection of value, and that value is being established in these negotiations.

What if Dallas signed him to $50 million guaranteed, and he gets a career-ending neck injury? Dallas is screwed for years to come. A receiver isn't worth that risk.

Again, he's just a receiver, not a quarterback.

Economics say you're wrong because of the Calvin Johnson deal. That is the new barometer for wide receivers, fair or not. I personally don't want to give him the Calvin Johnson deal. I would hate that like you, but somehow, some way, Dez is going to get a large amount of money. It's up to Dallas if it's going to come from them.

superonyx

Reaction score
It's not a compliment. It's just a rule, and helps football prevent what's happened to baseball, which is sinking in popularity like a rock.

Baseball losing fans is not due to them not having a franchise player tag.
Come on man. Baseball has much bigger problems than that.

The franchise tag is a weapon owners can use against players. Players hate it for a reason.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Dallas pulls the tag offer before Dez signs it he becomes a free agent.

Thank you....but can Dallas pull the tag at any point during the season while Dez is holding out?

For anyone confused, this is all applies to Dez not signing the tender!

Romonater

Reaction score
Dez has blown $11 million in five years. I don't think there is an amount of money to take care of him.

It's his money to make, and it's none of our damn business what he does with it. You brought up Michael Irvin earlier. What exactly do you think he was spending his money on, hmmm?

erod

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't think I'm a "damn idiot". You're just looking at it from the wrong perspective. Sure a middle class citizen can take care of themselves with 12 million dollars, but 50 million dollars is a lot more secure and it provides better opportunity. The cold, hard truth about this world is that it operates with benjamins than the brain.

Well, geez, let's just give him $500 million. I mean, he is a famous athlete, so there should be no limit.

Franchise him twice and draft another top college receiver if he won't accept $30 million guaranteed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You're all over the place with your discussion

First you say, NE, GB, Denver(LOL still laughing about this), and Baltimore are franchises we should mold ourselves after, but when in reality 3 of those 4 have top 10 all time great quarterbacks

Second, you try to act as though Dez is an ordinary talent and we shouldn't "overpay" him. If he's a top 3 WR, you're not overpaying him if continues to perform like he has been. YOu're just paying handsomely for that asset.

Finally, you're dispelling the idea that RBs and Murray are key compenents to winning a football game. Ask the 49ers who they would like to play? Jo Randle or Marshawn Lynch? Ask teams who they would like to face, Terrance WIlliams as the 1 or Dez Bryant as the number 1. You're right, they are not mandatory, but to imply that they don't win you football games is nonsense. YOu can win football games a multiitude of ways-defense, offensive line, great quarterback play, special teams. The passing game is another way.

I have this big problem where people want us to be like "This" team. How about we just find our own identity and stick to that, even if it implies the use of an oline, a great WR, and a good rb. It's a copy cat league, but sometimes, I feel we get too lost in that.

Which is fine but one thing does not change, bad teams make bad deal that cost them other talented players on the team. Player whom themselves will soon be FA. Great you have Dez signed to a big contract how many games do we win without other talent on the team? I think if you ask most here they want Dez to get a top contract, not that of CJ but still a deal that puts him in the top 5.

Your comment on how you win football you do it with a talented team as good as Dez maybe he is 1 player. Take away OL Dez impact is much less. Take away Romo, Dez impact is much less. Pay Dez a fair value but not at all cost.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's a tantrum in your eyes, but if a man does not want to expose himself to injury with a contract that doesn't quite maximize up to his talents, I can't fault the man for not wanting to play. You may not like it in the football side of things, but Dez is trying to ensure that he gets the most he can. This is Jerry Jones we are talking about here. He makes billions of dollars on these athletes. All the owners do. The athletes have every right to get the maximum they believe they are worth because it isn't the owners out there putting their body on the line.[/

Well, Dez has been offered a contract. Making 12.8 million this season might not be enough to keep his kids from eating bologna and beans, but I'm sure he can take them to McDonalds a time or two.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Well, I'd much rather be in the position the Cowboys are in with Dez than the position the Giants are in with JPP :)

No need to get all worked up about contract negotiations. It sounds like Dez is desperate for money, though. He's got $12.8M guaranteed for the year. Pretty nice, if you ask me. And most likely $15M guaranteed for next year. No need to negotiate in public. Why air your dirty laundry? It makes you sound stupid and ungrateful. Especially when Broncos' Thomas is in the same boat and is saying nothing. Quit crying.

If Dez decides to sit, then, so be it. Coaches will have to make adjustments and use the other talent as best as they can. And it will be a chance for Williams, Beasley, Street, Farmer, Goodley, etc to step up.

Rogah

Reaction score
Except throw sympathy out the window.
What I mean is he won't be getting any sympathy from the union if he contacts his union rep and says how unfair the CBA is which allows teams to "franchise tag" a play.

If the union wants to do away with the clause in the CBA that allows teams to "franchise tag" players, they will have to give something up in return. But the union is not going to give anything up in exchange for something that would only benefit fewer than one-half of 1% of their members per year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Lots of overreaction and consternation over something that will get done.

Lets save the panic for if a deal is not completed.

I agree in the end something will get done. I fully expect to see Dez week 1 of the season and frankly expect him to be in camp

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If he misses time he may never get a deal at least not with the Cowboys. If this gets ugly he could end up being traded.

superonyx

Reaction score
No, I think that's fair because it's the market being established.

I understand economics. You think money is a reward. It isn't. It's a reflection of value, and that value is being established in these negotiations.

What if Dallas signed him to $50 million guaranteed, and he gets a career-ending neck injury? Dallas is screwed for years to come. A receiver isn't worth that risk.

Again, he's just a receiver, not a quarterback.

A player's value is determined just like our value is. If you could get a bigger offer to switch jobs then you are worth more than you were previously.
The cowboys using a franchise tag is a weapon they have that avoids Dez getting what his real value would be on an open market.
His value isn't being set by these negotiations because we are negotiating against ourselves due to the FO having the dreaded Franchise Tag.

Release him to the open market and see what his value is.

erod

Reaction score
I agree in the end something will get done. I fully expect to see Dez week 1 of the season and frankly expect him to be in camp

Guarantee the average of the top five recievers for three years. That's $39 million. Add two years more at that rate as the team's option.

Done.

But his agent wants that crazy money like Calvin Johnson, which Detroit is regretting severely.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

Exactly. I think a deal will be completed before the deadline on Wednesday and he'll be in camp ready to go.

jwitten82

Reaction score
As I statedd in the thread the other day he has a 2 million dollar Bugatti in layaway right now. Hell of a WR l, but not too bright money wise.

Any truth to the Bugatti on layaway?

Romonater

Reaction score
I don't really participate with the discussions here. I like to observe, but I have to go now. Lol It was good discussion with you fellows. Let's hope this mess gets sorted out fairly for both parties by tomorrow. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.