Dez lost his job after the Seattle game

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Calling someone dumb is a helluva thing to say in a debate.

You need to reassess.

Fact is Dez is gone as his production did not equate to his salary.

And he is still a free agent after 3 months. Your reasoning for that is simply, oh no one knows. Well guess, what, I know. And 31 other teams agree with me.

Yeah, and now Dez is gone. Who cares? Good riddance.

Yet the guy who played poorly in 2017 and impacted ALL of our WRs is still here. That's more of an issue than a guy who guy us nearly 900 yards when a QB was playing like a poor man's Alex Smith down the stretch.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
It hit Bryant in the hands. Seems Bryant was only "elite" if Tony Romo was around to throw him a perfect pass every time.
This. Deandre Hopkins has had nothing but trash QBs and he still produced at an elite level. Dez as the "veteran leader" should have been able to step up.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This. Deandre Hopkins has had nothing but trash QBs and he still produced at an elite level. Dez as the "veteran leader" should have been able to step up.

You are underestimating how bad Dak was playing down the stretch. Did you see the numbers I posted?

And Dez certainly isn't on Hopkins level at this point, I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. however, mediocre players have also produced with poor QB performance

The issue here is, every WR and their production dropped either somewhat or drastically. There is obviously a bigger problem than just Dez...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yes, and then in 2017 he had one of his worst seasons as a starting slot receiver. The point being here is, it's not like it was only Dez who wasn't contributing.

Williams didn't have a single TD catch last year and had less yard on more catches
Beasley went from having 75 catches to 36 and only had over 300 yards receiving
Dez had his lowest total catches, yards receiving, and TDs in 16 games in his entire career
Jason Witten also slipped a bit, though he wasn't dominating in 2016 either

So every WRs production went down, Beasley was dramatic - across the board everyone was playing bad. It's kinda like, when a QB plays poorly, it can have an impact on your WRs. I'm not even claiming Dez was playing great or even good, but Dak is still on our team, Dez is not. One is still our problem and looks to be the bigger problem.
I didn't really care about what point you were mercurially trying to make (not to trivialize it, but I'm being honest), but you posed a question and I posed one right back, since it seemed a WR did peak under Dak.
I mean, you did ask that right? That's it.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I didn't really care about what point you were mercurially trying to make (not to trivialize it, but I'm being honest), but you posed a question and I posed one right back, since it seemed a WR did peak under Dak.
I mean, you did ask that right? That's it.

Actually, if you followed the conversation, I was referencing the 2017 season. We all know the offense was doing well in 2017, and outside of injury, even Dez played well and had a great performance in the playoffs.

J12B

Reaction score
Yeah, and now Dez is gone. Who cares? Good riddance.

Yet the guy who played poorly in 2017 and impacted ALL of our WRs is still here. That's more of an issue than a guy who guy us nearly 900 yards when a QB was playing like a poor man's Alex Smith down the stretch.

Yeah, the guy who is getting paid 750k to play at the most important position in football. It's not fair to Dak to compare him to other elite or top tier QBs.

If Dallas extends him and he is paid like a top QB then you can expect that from him. Until then, players being paid 3 to 11 times his salary should be held more accountable for their performance. Veteran players like Dez, especially.

And you can't argue that Dez played at a high level last season. He had 10 dropped passes last season. Tied for 1st in the league. Or second in the league with 9, according to Pro Football Focus Analytics.

Again, you need to reassess.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Actually, if you followed the conversation, I was referencing the 2017 season. We all know the offense was doing well in 2017, and outside of injury, even Dez played well and had a great performance in the playoffs.
I didn't follow the convo. I just saw a question and posed one back. I'm making this obvious here.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yeah, the guy who is getting paid 750k to play at the most important position in football. It's not fair to Dak to compare him to other elite or top tier QBs.

If Dallas extends him and he is paid like a top QB then you can expect that from him. Until then, players being paid 3 to 11 times his salary should be held more accountable for their performance. Veteran players like Dez, especially.

And you can't argue that Dez played at a high level last season. He had 10 dropped passes last season. Tied for 1st in the league. Or second in the league with 9, according to Pro Football Focus Analytics.

Again, you need to reassess.

> It's not fair to Dak to compare him to other elite or top tier QBs

....it's not fair to compare a starting QB to other starting QBs? It's not fair to want a starting QB to play competent football and not play like a bum off the street? You keep those low expectations to not be disappointed. You're bad at this.

> If Dallas extends him

Criticism doesn't start once a big contract is put in place, dummy.

> you can't argue that Dez played at a high level last season

...I never claimed that he did. I'm referring to 2016 (look at my response to Corso), when he had 1 drop.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

Also looks like Dez in 2017 had 6 drops and the PFF one isn't set in stone and wasn't the leader on their chart either (it was Amari Cooper)

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

Either way, let's stop pretending this is a consensus across the board. But it's certainly something to look into.

Anything else?

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I didn't follow the convo. I just saw a question and posed one back. I'm making this obvious here.

Yes, you are - so next time, maybe follow along so we can get the obvious out of the way to begin with.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
When your #1 WR sits like this on the sideline, in a still winnable game, you know it's time to cut bait.
Dez_Dont_Care.jpg

So when he’s quiet like a good young lad this is bad.

But when he’s pacing back and forth and getting fired up this is also bad.

What exactly is the posture Dez should have while on the sidelines.

Roy L. Williams would come back to the sideline laughing it up with folks after getting torched for a 76 yard TD back in 2007. People gave him flack for this. But if he acted like Dez then that’d be a problem too?

Some folks are just hard to please

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Also the topics that garner the most attention around here revolve around a player that hasn’t been with the Team since April.

And people think Dez’s release won’t have an impact on Jerry’s wallet especially should we start 1-5

J12B

Reaction score

....it's not fair to compare a starting QB to other starting QBs? It's not fair to want a starting QB to play competent football and not play like a bum off the street? You keep those low expectations to not be disappointed. You're bad at this.

> If Dallas extends him

...I never claimed that he did. I'm referring to 2016 (look at my response to Corso), when he had 1 drop.

Also looks like Dez in 2017 had 6 drops and the PFF one isn't set in stone and wasn't the leader on their chart either (it was Amari Cooper)

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

Either way, let's stop pretending this is a consensus across the board. But it's certainly something to look into.

Anything else?

> If Dallas extends him

Anything else?

*Low expectations to keep from being disappointed

No. I realize Dak is a developing QB who has the ability to play with the best. Dak has a much higher ceiling than Dez does. In fact, Dez already reached his and is tumbling down. Hence, why he was cut and the front office is committing to Dez.

*You're original argument on how Dez shouldn't be the only one to blame for the Seattle loss is ridiculous.

What do you propose? According to your argument nothing should have changed or the QB and entire receiving unit shouldve been released.

That's not how it works. The team identified a player who was not performing at the level he is being compensated for. Dak did last year whether you can see it or not. You expect a 650k player to yield the same results as a 23 million per year QB, which is exactly what Dak did his entire rookie season and part of last season. Dez underperformed the entire 2015, 2016, and 2017 seasons based on his salary cap hit.

Does that make sense?

Also, that's the second dummy reference. You are low class individual. Do you know what being civil is?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
*Low expectations to keep from being disappointed

No. I realize Dak is a developing QB who has the ability to play with the best. Dak has a much higher ceiling than Dez does. In fact, Dez already reached his and is tumbling down. Hence, why he was cut and the front office is committing to Dez.

*You're original argument on how Dez shouldn't be the only one to blame for the Seattle loss is ridiculous.

What do you propose? According to your argument nothing should have changed or the QB and entire receiving unit shouldve been released.

That's not how it works. The team identified a player who was not performing at the level he is being compensated for. Dak did last year whether you can see it or not. You expect a 650k player to yield the same results as a 23 million per year QB, which is exactly what Dak did his entire rookie season and part of last season. Dez underperformed the entire 2015, 2016, and 2017 seasons based on his salary cap hit.

Does that make sense?

Also, that's the second dummy reference. You are low class individual. Do you know what being civil is?

When a QB is developing, I often like to see some progress. Instead, Dak regressed. Even mentioning that his mind and feet aren't often going well together. These are things that should have been improved upon, they got WORSE in year 2.

I accurately labeled you what you are, you're just dumb. Don't feel bad, you're not the only one who gets that label here. Again, if we were on a board discussing something far more deep than football, I would understand someone struggling. But we're not, we're discussing people who throw around and catch a football with basic *** stats - and yet here are, I get bad citations or citations that lack context so people can use those to fit their narrative.

And your argument that Dak Prescott should not be criticized heavily because of his salary is ridiculous - the guy is a starting QB in the NFL and will be judged as one. What they get paid, you can take that crap up with Jerry Jones. I'm talking productivity - and when you are named the starter, I expect a player to play at a competent level.

One player was released, and you can bring up how he played poorly. Again, I don't care - as long as you're consistent and point out that someone else on the team was arguably WORSE than the player you're happy is gone.

Anything else?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So when he’s quiet like a good young lad this is bad.

But when he’s pacing back and forth and getting fired up this is also bad.

What exactly is the posture Dez should have while on the sidelines.

Roy L. Williams would come back to the sideline laughing it up with folks after getting torched for a 76 yard TD back in 2007. People gave him flack for this. But if he acted like Dez then that’d be a problem too?

Some folks are just hard to please

Dez and Garrett right now are scapegoats for ALL problems - and while they certainly deserve criticism, a lot of this is just to cloak that we may have made a mistake with thinking Dak is our franchise QB.

Give it a year, another player will be what Dez is this offseason. I'm suspecting it will be Tyron Smith.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Dez and Garrett right now are scapegoats for ALL problems - and while they certainly deserve criticism, a lot of this is just to cloak that we may have made a mistake with thinking Dak is our franchise QB.

Give it a year, another player will be what Dez is this offseason. I'm suspecting it will be Tyron Smith.

I’m actually thinking Zeke. Our WR’s aren’t anything to write home about and with Dak’s lack of accuracy I could see Zeke not performing as well due to defenses focusing in on him. He seems to have a poor attitude when things aren’t going well but it’ll get blown up to where he’s the reason for the unsuccessful season.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The week against Oakland came down to a play by Jeff Heath.

In that game, Dez had 2 catches for 59 yards against one of the worst secondaries in the league.
Who mad the clutch reception to put us in scoring position to take the lead??

Ill wait

J12B

Reaction score
When a QB is developing, I often like to see some progress. Instead, Dak regressed. Even mentioning that his mind and feet aren't often going well together. These are things that should have been improved upon, they got WORSE in year 2.

I accurately labeled you what you are, you're just dumb. Don't feel bad, you're not the only one who gets that label here. Again, if we were on a board discussing something far more deep than football, I would understand someone struggling. But we're not, we're discussing people who throw around and catch a football with basic *** stats - and yet here are, I get bad citations or citations that lack context so people can use those to fit their narrative.

And your argument that Dak Prescott should not be criticized heavily because of his salary is ridiculous - the guy is a starting QB in the NFL and will be judged as one. What they get paid, you can take that crap up with Jerry Jones. I'm talking productivity - and when you are named the starter, I expect a player to play at a competent level.

One player was released, and you can bring up how he played poorly. Again, I don't care - as long as you're consistent and point out that someone else on the team was arguably WORSE than the player you're happy is gone.

Anything else?

You're a moron.

And you're response to why Dez is still a free agent, proves it. And you saying that everyone played poorly against Seattle and that Dez shouldn't be solely to blame proves it. He had a costly fumble fighting for an extra 2 yards and a tipped pass that shouldve been caught turn into an interception.

Again, you are a moron.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You're a moron.

And you're response to why Dez is still a free agent, proves it. And you saying that everyone played like poorly against Seattle and that Dez shouldn't be solely to blame proves it. He had a costly fumble fighting for an extra 2 yards and a tipped pass that shouldve been caught turn into an interception.

Again, you are a moron.

A "moron" with better arguments. It's why you left out context earlier on the Dez drops and how it's not an across the board thing that every site agrees on.

You're biased towards Dez. I don't care about Dez, he's gone and off the team and there are good reasons. I'm now focusing on players who still has a star on their helmet, you know, because they are actually going to impact what happens on the field in 2018.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question, after watching All or Nothing this morning. Dez lost his job after that Seattle game last year. Jerry just sat in the booth and made his choice right there.
I think you can point to several things in regards to his demise.

His fits and critical comments back when they franchised him before the big contract didn't set well with Stephen Jones. SJ wanted to keep him on the franchise tag for a full year anyway but Jerry panicked.

Now SJ is basically running the football operations.

Antics like the Seattle game just made it easier for Stephen to keep Jerry from casting his veto when SJ decided to cut Dez.