Dez making his comeback. Still wants to play on Dallas as a possibility

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Benching Gallup at this stage of his career would not be wise.

Why would we bench Gallup?

Amari (1. outside/slot/redzone), Gallup (2, outside/red zone), Cobb (3. slot/outside) Austin (4. slot/gadget/returns), Bryant (red zone/misdirection/returns)

We are apparently going to be moving our WR's around and if we Dez was on this corps, BIG IF. This would be the order for the WR's and their uses. Not to mention, look at our ST's returns now. Field position and redzone is where Dez can help.

Lots of depth and every type of WR to do whatever we want offensively in the air.

I would save Allen Hurns salary. Everytime Noah Brown is on the play, there seems to be some mishap and if we were to keep 6 WR's it's a battle between Cedric Wilson or Devin Smith. Wilson could probably get stashed on the practice squad if he's the odd man out due to last years injury.

Not having Hurns on the books signs our rookie class + pays Dez at $ 1.25 million. Other than last year, who's scored more TD's and played in more games? Dez. Hurns was on about Linehan's play calling last year as much as anyone. But apparently Hurns is the model teammate. So that's what keeps him around and it's an admirable trait.

Dez should promise to follow suit and maybe could return and be of use if he's willing to tote the ball on returns with Austin. That to me would show team first and give him a productive role on this team.

If Garret and Dak are good with Dez here, I'm good with it. I doubt it happens after the "Snake Lee" comments and all of that Twitter garbage he was doing last season but it wouldn't be strange figuring he wouldn't be the big man on campus anymore with the "New Triplets" leading this team offensively.

Plus Dak would be able to straighten Dez out, Witten we know would and Tank and Lee on the defense would too. Amari wouldn't even sweat him the way he roles. Dez has no chance of being anymore louder than Allen Hurns was last year and if he's good on returns and gets some balls in the end zone to feel he's contributing this guy would be content while winning.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score

Amari (1. outside/slot/redzone), Gallup (2, outside/red zone), Cobb (3. slot/outside) Austin (4. slot/gadget/returns), Bryant (red zone/misdirection/returns)

We are apparently going to be moving our WR's around and if we Dez was on this corps, BIG IF. This would be the order for the WR's and their uses. Not to mention, look at our ST's returns now. Field position and redzone is where Dez can help.

Lots of depth and every type of WR to do whatever we want offensively in the air.

I would save Allen Hurns salary, Everytime Noah Brown is on the play there seems to be some mishap and if we were to keep 6 WR's It's a battle for Cedric Wilson or Devin Smith. Wilson could probably get stashed on the practice squad if he's te odd man out due to last years injury.

Not having Hurns on the books signs our rookie class + pays Dez at $ 1.25. Who's scored more TD's and other than last year played more games? Dez. Hurns was on about Linehan last year who is no longer here. But apparently Hurns is the model teammate. So that's what keeps him around and it's an admirable trait.

Dez should promise to follow suit and maybe could return and be of use if he's willing to tote the ball on returns with Austin. That to me would show team first and give him a productive role on this team.
You mean you think we should sign Dez to let him ride the pine? Yeah, that makes sense!!!!!!

aaev84

Reaction score

I would save Allen Hurns salary, Everytime Noah Brown is on the play there seems to be some mishap and if we were to keep 6 WR's It's a battle for Cedric Wilson or Devin Smith. Wilson could probably get stashed on the practice squad if he's te odd man out due to last years injury.

Not having Hurns on the books signs our rookie class + pays Dez at $ 1.25. Who's scored more TD's and other than last year played more games? Dez. Hurns was on about Linehan last year who is no longer here. But apparently Hurns is the model teammate. So that's what keeps him around and it's an admirable trait.

Dez in my opinion is a unique misunderstood case. He came from a hell of an upbringing. I'd imagine he took his release from the cowboys more personal than any other professional player would. Almost like family severing ties. I mean the staff and organization took him in and basically adopted him like a son. It's something else to come from where he came from and make a success out of it. The cowboys org had a big hand in that as did Dez by giving his own passion and commitment to the team for what he did. Having all the gifts in the world is great, but overcoming the mental hurdles he has overcome really says alot about his personal strength as a person. It would be nice for the fanbase to consider how far he came. Either way, hes had great success and hopefully he gets on with some team and still has some in the tank to do great things in the league.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bring up the stats of all those players while they were with dallas. Btw, where does Dez sit on the Team record board for td receptions? I'm also pretty sure he is better than top 5 in yards and receptions. It's simply personal bias on your part. The numbers and contributions speak for themselves. As far as his role if he came back. I would hope he is realistic about it... and if he felt he could be more at this stage then he should focus more on trying with another team.
They don't. Seriously, dude, comparing numbers from previous eras is extremely off. If anyone is personally biased, I'd say you are the guilty one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you said Dez and realistic in the same sentence!!! More bias!!

Notice how you changed the parameter to fit your spiel. The question was asked to provide 10 WR's who were better than Dez. I've done so. And you turn to stats? If you have to resort to incomparable stats just to have an argument, I'd say your argument was weak to begin w/!!!

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I am a fan of Dez Bryant. He gave me some great moments as a Cowboys fan. He caught the pass that was taken from him, and if the Cowboys had gotten the call and held the lead - the latter a big if - it would be recalled as one of the signature plays in franchise history.

No way I bring Dez back. Foot and leg injuries had already robbed him of his greatest weapon. Now he has another significant injury from which to recover.

He is an emotional player who often doesn't properly channel his emotions. He has questionable judgment. He is immature.

Dez would not be a special teams addition, and he would at best be deep on the WR depth chart. He might not make the team.

Enjoy Dez for the great contributions he made. Respect the thrills he gave us. But the Cowboys moved on, and it was the proper thing to do.

aaev84

Reaction score
They don't. Seriously, dude, comparing numbers from previous eras is extremely off. If anyone is personally biased, I'd say you are the guilty one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notice how you changed the parameter to fit your spiel. The question was asked to provide 10 WR's who were better than Dez. I've done so. And you turn to stats? If you have to resort to incomparable stats just to have an argument, I'd say your argument was weak to begin w/!!!
I guess if changing "the parameter" to something factual is biased then call me guilty. I wont get into a devolving argument with you. My grammar has already suffered enough at the hands of the internet.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

So what did you provide to prove those receivers you listed are better than Dez?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I would save Allen Hurns salary. Everytime Noah Brown is on the play, there seems to be some mishap and if we were to keep 6 WR's it's a battle between Cedric Wilson or Devin Smith. Wilson could probably get stashed on the practice squad if he's the odd man out due to last years injury.

Not having Hurns on the books signs our rookie class + pays Dez at $ 1.25 million. Other than last year, who's scored more TD's and played in more games? Dez. Hurns was on about Linehan's play calling last year as much as anyone. But apparently Hurns is the model teammate. So that's what keeps him around and it's an admirable trait.

If Garret and Dak are good with Dez here, I'm good with it. I doubt it happens after the "Snake Lee" comments and all of that Twitter garbage he was doing last season but it wouldn't be strange figuring he wouldn't be the big man on campus anymore with the "New Triplets" leading this team offensively.

Plus Dak would be able to straighten Dez out, Witten we know would and Tank and Lee on the defense would too. Amari wouldn't even sweat him the way he roles. Dez has no chance of being anymore louder than Allen Hurns was last year and if he's good on returns and gets some balls in the end zone to feel he's contributing this guy would be content while winning.
I buy.

If we shuffled the WRs as you suggest..

could you imagine the stress on the defense if we trot out Dez, Cooper, Gallop and Witten with Zeke out of the backfield on screens and swing passes?

We could save the draft pick on a WR as has been talked about and use that pick somewhere else.

As far as DAK and Dez are concerned..

DAK would have to buckup and solve the problems if they still exist.

We are getting ready to pay him upwards of $30 mil/yr. He better be able to execute with whomever is playing no excuses.

Just saying.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah i had to ask again. Seeing that yesterday was 4/20, i had to hear your stupidity once again.

Your post is up there with @rocyaice as the dumbest posts ive seen on this site.
Hey, ksk, look on the bright side, at least you're tied with someone.

Arguing with Dezzies is like pissing up a rope.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
All quality points.

Additionally..

In the past Dez got into an ego fight with Witten, Lee and Linehan and Stephen.

He sharply criticised Linehan for poor play calling and never varing the pass routes and running the same thing.

He turned out to be exactly right Linehan was fired 2 seasons later.

I do not put a lot of faith in whatever happened with Witten and Lee. If there remains a problem with them, they need to patch it up and play football.

They are only here for another year. Tempest in a teapot.

And I do not think Stephen is going to stop Dez returning if Jerrah says yes.

Jerrah has stated time is winding down to win another title.

The club will do what is best to win.

All valid points as well and the Witten and Lee variables are extremely import.

I believe Garrett and Dak are even more important but I don't think Jerry would trump Stephen just to get Dez back. If Stephen says "no" than Jerry won't over ride him for Dez. Dez is even less important this year than last to this team.

But for $1.25 million. If he is a model Cowboy and willing to take his lumps on returns he has value to this team. Especially if he can still get up there in the red zone and score when "called" upon. The Patriots have gotten rid of players and brought them back and won. I have seen crazier things happen in this league and especially organization.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Why wouldnt he understand his role at this point???

He signed with New Orleans for friggin sake. Yall ever hear of this WR named Michael Thomas? Hes pretty good :rolleyes:
He never actually played for them so who knows how he would have acted during the season. Don’t get me wrong I think he would be ok with but he is a passionate player. Wants to be in the game.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
You mean you think we should sign Dez to let him ride the pine? Yeah, that makes sense!!!!!!

To return kicks and be a red zone weapon when called upon. He is not the same player 5 years ago and still can do some things but on a limited basis I am sure. He just needs to know that within himself but take his good left in him, reward himself and the team who he plays for. Whether it's us or someone like the Saints. He needs a training camp for his betterment, then see where he is on the player map, that's for sure.

You're talking like he's supposed to be or is expecting to be a starter and the long term future for some team. He's in his 30's, injured and skills declined. Has past red zone prowess and return skills. That's what I see him as.

glimmerman

Reaction score
In which case it would be much better to bring in some young guys who will play hard and put forth full effort.

Frankly, Dez might not even make the team. How many WR's do we keep? 5? If Wilson continues his very good play from his short stint last preseason, and Cobb is healthy, Dez seriously might not even make the team.
I think he could make the team. Could take Hurns job or maybe Noah.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Dez in my opinion is a unique misunderstood case. He came from a hell of an upbringing. I'd imagine he took his release from the cowboys more personal than any other professional player would. Almost like family severing ties. I mean the staff and organization took him in and basically adopted him like a son. It's something else to come from where he came from and make a success out of it. The cowboys org had a big hand in that as did Dez by giving his own passion and commitment to the team for what he did. Having all the gifts in the world is great, but overcoming the mental hurdles he has overcome really says alot about his personal strength as a person. It would be nice for the fanbase to consider how far he came. Either way, hes had great success and hopefully he gets on with some team and still has some in the tank to do great things in the league.

:clap: :hammer:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I buy.

If we shuffled the WRs as you suggest..

could you imagine the stress on the defense if we trot out Dez, Cooper, Gallop and Witten with Zeke out of the backfield on screens and swing passes?

We could save the draft pick on a WR as has been talked about and use that pick somewhere else.

As far as DAK and Dez are concerned..

DAK would have to buckup and solve the problems if they still exist.

We are getting ready to pay him upwards of $30 mil/yr. He better be able to execute with whomever is playing no excuses.

Just saying.

Austin too. Our return game could be something we haven't had in years also. Who do they think we're going to in the red zone?

pancakeman

Reaction score
Can he return punts.or play special teams.
Just what I was going to say. I wonder if he could reinvent himself as a special teams ace (not necessarily with the Cowboys). The only reason we didn’t play him on punt returns as much back in the day is that we didn’t want to risk our number one receiver but those days are over.

Flamma

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Dez coming back. I just don't think he'd be happy with his role as a Cowboy now. Where would he go, in the slot? Can't have him fighting for balls in the slot. That's how you get interceptions. He'd either be running crossing patterns/slants from the slot or a backup wideout.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He never actually played for them so who knows how he would have acted during the season. Don’t get me wrong I think he would be ok with but he is a passionate player. Wants to be in the game.
He also kicked around before signing with them and we don't know what they told him coming in but one thing for sure, that Dez ego was deflated when he did finally sign. Imagine his surprise that he announces he wants to go to a division foe and gets no interest. He thought so much of himself that he passed on the best deal with the Ravens because he thought there would be more/better offers.

One thing he and his supporters do not want to admit, he is just not worth it. They have all the film on him, know he's one trick pony, the jump ball and using his physicality. Add to that some of the excess baggage he carries and what HC wants to deal with that? The job is hard enough and uncertain, you introduce a possible irritant to that and you are buying a headache and the Saints wouldn't have done that without injuries to their WR corps.

One thing about it, if any WR is going to play the spoiled diva role, he better be as talented as guys like Brown, Owens and Moss. I'd be a hell of a lot more prone to put up with a mean woman if she was hot.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
If we do, I would hope he doesn't talk in the huddle again and hurt Dak's feelings. I guess he can go cry to the coaches again if he does, maybe even get him fired again.