Dez Vs Owens

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Owens and it's not even close. He was the superior athlete, route runner and took better care of himself than Bryant but both of them had too many drops. Neither would be on the "all hands" team.

And while both were among the biggest diva's of all time, Owens would not use his childishness during a game. He'd save that for off the field but I do have to say there were a lot of things that Owens said that were pretty hard to argue. And he's a hell of a lot smarter than Bryant, which he couldn't help. Can't fix stupid but behavior can be controlled.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
How’s this...

T.O was more enjoyable to watch knowing we were watching a dude who was on the “decline” still put up amazing numbers

Dez was fun while he still had his speed but boy did the wheels fall off that wagon in a hurry and is completely washed up at 31
Wasnt the question.

At the end of 2014, no one was in favor of Dez being off this team

cern

Reaction score
TO, in his prime, was a vastly superior receiver to Dez in his prime. neither had the luxury of growing up in a leave it to beaver environment. both accomplished a lot in their lives, at least athletically. but TO was the superior receiver.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Never wanted Owens on this team, after his standing on & disrespecting the Star garbage.
Never had any ill will towards Dez, so I think I enjoyed watching him more. Plus he was a Cowboys fan, so Winning would have been more important to him.

75boyz

Reaction score
Owens and it's not even close. He was the superior athlete, route runner and took better care of himself than Bryant but both of them had too many drops. Neither would be on the "all hands" team.

And while both were among the biggest diva's of all time, Owens would not use his childishness during a game. He'd save that for off the field but I do have to say there were a lot of things that Owens said that were pretty hard to argue. And he's a hell of a lot smarter than Bryant, which he couldn't help. Can't fix stupid but behavior can be controlled.

Yep, T.O. was one of those one percenter physical specimens. As another/others have pointed out and to which I wholeheartedly agree, T.O. in his thirties was vastly superior to the majority of the NFL' s receivers of his era who were much younger and supposedly in their prime.
Hated his attitude, but Ill take him in his mid to late twenties over anybody, including Rice.

Never forget how he took that bubble screen in Denver (with Philly at the time I think) and just flat out left Champ. Champ started out with an angle too, I think. I enjoyed how he dominated games. As a personality, not so much.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
TO, in his prime, was a vastly superior receiver to Dez in his prime. neither had the luxury of growing up in a leave it to beaver environment. both accomplished a lot in their lives, at least athletically. but TO was the superior receiver.
He looks like he can still play, lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I thought Owens was the better WR, better rout runner and better speed also a bigger headcase.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep they had childhoods I can only imagine in my lowest moments. I didn't like either one's behavior but as I learned more about them and their history, I understood more and what they both went through was a huge "by the Grace of God go I" thing for me. It's easy to say overcome that and let it go when I have no idea what goes through their minds.

Easy to be critical being raised as a white middle class kid with both parents. Too many times, I do not realize how lucky I was. There are some shoes I wouldn't want to take a step in, let along walk a mile.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Wasnt the question.

At the end of 2014, no one was in favor of Dez being off this team

Owens played 3 years and dez had 3 good years. Which receiver did you enjoy more? I thought Owens was more fun to watch.

That was the Original question? lol "Which receiver did you enjoy more? for those 3 years...

Stay on topic bro lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Owens played 3 years and dez had 3 good years. Which receiver did you enjoy more? I thought Owens was more fun to watch.

That was the Original question? lol "Which receiver did you enjoy more? for those 3 years...

Stay on topic bro lol
I wasn't that big on the TD celebrations but his were creative and original. The one after Belichick got busted for spying when Owens hid behind the goal post and acted like he was filming was great.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

Stay on topic bro lol
U brought up dez falling off when the discussion was about their 3 best years

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Stay on topic bro lol
I wasn't that big on the TD celebrations but his were creative and original. The one after Belichick got busted for spying when Owens hid behind the goal post and acted like he was filming was great.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
What a great topic. Seriously. It’s a tough decision for me. Prime Owens with a more experienced Romo would’ve been amazing but TO was unreal on all levels. Dez was great and fun to watch... my money probably goes to TO even if he was a nut job

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
There really is no comparison. Owens was a world class idiot but a much better player. He will be in the HOF. Dez is likely out of football at 31.
:huh: He already is. He was inducted last year. (2018)

How can Dez be likely out of football at 31 when he'll be 31 this November. :huh:

Just because the Saints only signed him for one year doesn't mean he is likely out of football next season either.

He'll be resigned or picked up by another team faster than you can say Owens is a Hall Of Famer.

Last edited:

dwreck27

Reaction score
U brought up dez falling off when the discussion was about their 3 best years

I enjoyed those 3 years of T.O knowing that other than Jerry Rice most WRs in that age we’re just a shell of themselves and to watch him still do what he did was very impressive and I ENJOYED watching him play

Better?

Dez was very nice but he was a 1st round draft pick with a lot of pressure and expectation to perform to which he did while playing with an established Romo. I EXPECTED to see Dez put those numbers those 3 years.

Better?

cern

Reaction score
Yep they had childhoods I can only imagine in my lowest moments. I didn't like either one's behavior but as I learned more about them and their history, I understood more and what they both went through was a huge "by the Grace of God go I" thing for me. It's easy to say overcome that and let it go when I have no idea what goes through their minds.

Easy to be critical being raised as a white middle class kid with both parents. Too many times, I do not realize how lucky I was. There are some shoes I wouldn't want to take a step in, let along walk a mile.
Well said, coach. The damage done to kids tends to stick with them a long time. Often for life.