Did Dak Regress?

Sepia

Reaction score
There were a lot of comments about sloppy footwork and poor mechanics last year. I said a lot of them and so did some others on here... it didn’t just start when the team struggles started

Last year? Yes. This year? I didn't notice them. They were constant criticisms about him last year, even in the media and on sports shows. I must have missed it if it was said earlier this season. At the time, I remember the media was still debating who was best out of Dak, Wentz, and Goff.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Last year? Yes. This year? I didn't notice them. They were constant criticisms about him last year, even in the media and on sports shows. I must have missed it if it was said earlier this season. At the time, I remember the media was still debating who was best out of Dak, Wentz, and Goff.

Go back and read the board after the Rams/Packers losses. These issues have been going on ALL YEAR

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Sturm's column from a few days ago was pretty sobering. Obviously I can't post it here per the dmn's stupid rules, but wouldn't have expected our offense to rank dead last in plays generating 20+ yards over the last 4 games, with most of the league doubling our total. I mean, there are a lot of really bad offenses/rosters in this league...

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It says he plays for a incompetent HC. A coach that can't scheme other receivers open once the opposing defenses took away the QB's favorites targets away from last year and the starting RB was suspended.
So did he play for a different coach last year?

Gameover

Reaction score
Plenty. How many elite players did Brady have on offense his last two super bowls?
Romo didn't, so Dak is in poor company!

Brady had plenty of elite players around him to go along with an elite system and the best coach of the era.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yeah, the sophomore slump discussion didn't start until the Atlanta game. Before that, he had a decent QBR, and was on pace for a nice TD/INT ratio. No one was talking about there being no zip on his passes, or sloppy footwork, or missing open receivers like they did last year. Since ATL and a bunch of sacks/hits, he hasn't played well.
That's not true. Dak has played worse this season from game 1.

Gameover

Reaction score
Thanks. Sometimes you gotta remind deez fooz how good romo was. They got short term memory.

That's my homie
Thanks. Sometimes you gotta remind deez fooz how good romo was. They got short term memory.

That's my homie

And I'm here to tell these Romoites, the real:

For every good Romo... there was bad Romo

We tell the whole truth here

Sorry ,DWJCK

Whatever you go by

Gameover

Reaction score
So did he play for a different coach last year?

Romo had down years after every great year with Jason Garrett

2008 was down after a great 2007

2010 was a disaster after a great 2009

2015, small sample, but the arrow was pointing down after a career year in 2016.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Sturm's column from a few days ago was pretty sobering. Obviously I can't post it here per the dmn's stupid rules, but wouldn't have expected our offense to rank dead last in plays generating 20+ yards over the last 4 games, with most of the league doubling our total. I mean, there are a lot of really bad offenses/rosters in this league...

It's a serious issue. Basically defenses always have a short field to guard against us. Everyone is blaming the Oline and they aren't quite as good this year but they are still above average. Heck they are blowing holes open for Morris even though defenses are stacking the line.

The problem is the weak armed, indecisive, fraidy cat QB.

Gameover

Reaction score
Go back and read the board after the Rams/Packers losses. These issues have been going on ALL YEAR

It would be near impossible for him to play better than he did in the Packers game.

They scored on 5 of their 7 or 8 possessions.

And Zeke did very little the first three scores

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
No but his starting RB wasn't suspended and most teams didn't double team his favorite target last year.
This concerns me. It should concern everyone else as well.

Whether it's suspension or injury the RB position lacks reliability. If Dak needs an All Pro in the backfield at all times even if his backups produce roughly equivalent rate statistics that's a problem.

If you can turn a MVP and OROY candidate into a bottom tier QB by doubling one slot receiver....that's a problem.

Dak is young and I suspect he'll bounce back from this stretch of poor play....but in a short career every game is very useful in how it is predictive. I.E. When you've played just 1 game...game 2 means a lot. When you've played 200 games...game 201 doesn't mean as much. We're early enough in Dak's career we cannot just dismiss this play as a fluke.

Gameover

Reaction score
Defenses got smarter both on how to keep Dak in the pocket and how best to cover our receivers. A big example is Cole Beasley being double teamed and he has 30 receptions so far while he had 75 last year. Teams don't fear Dez because he can't run himself open. A good coach would find ways to adjust help his QB but we don't have good coaching.

I'm not making Dak blameless in the whole thing but a lot of it has been our opponents adjusting to him.

Most of Dak's great plays were in the pocket

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Season is not over so you can't say anything, really, with certainty. However, I think that if the season ended today, the TEAM regressed. Not Dak, not any one player, the team........

Gameover

Reaction score
Season is not over so you can't say anything, really, with certainty. However, I think that if the season ended today, the TEAM regressed. Not Dak, not any one player, the team........
I agree.

I'm worried about Dak though

His attention to detail and his mental sharpness(if that's the right word) hasn't been there this season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree.

I'm worried about Dak though

His attention to detail and his mental sharpness(if that's the right word) hasn't been there this season.

Well, certainly there have been a great many distractions and honestly, that's the worst thing you want to see for a young QB. From the get go, this entire thing was a clown car rodeo IMO. However, I also think that the team kinda got away from the basics for him, too soon. From the first game, the let him have too much freedom in the audible and not enough scripting IMO. They thought they new better and turns out, at least in my opinion, they ended up making a mistake there. This was a horrible season to allow Dak to have all the control in game situations IMO. That is obviously just my opinion though.

Gameover

Reaction score
Well, certainly there have been a great many distractions and honestly, that's the worst thing you want to see for a young QB. From the get go, this entire thing was a clown car rodeo IMO. However, I also think that the team kinda got away from the basics for him, too soon. From the first game, the let him have too much freedom in the audible and not enough scripting IMO. They thought they new better and turns out, at least in my opinion, they ended up making a mistake there. This was a horrible season to allow Dak to have all the control in game situations IMO. That is obviously just my opinion though.
I agree 100%

dwreck27

Reaction score
When Dak was great last year nobody blamed the WRs (or credited them much).

This year Dak has taken a step back and suddenly it's Tyron's fault and Chaz's fault and the WR's fault.

What does that say about our franchise QB?

Oh I didn’t know everyone just started calling dez a flop this season or that twill was a body catcher...

Gotcha.