Did Dak Regress?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
i am confused.
Before Zeke's suspension even started, Dak already had 215 attempts when Zeke was not in the game. Mostly (but not limited to) hurry-up situations, other obvious passing situations, and entire possessions when Zeke was being rested.

That amounts to 30% of Dak's career total of 718 attempts at the time.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Before Zeke's suspension even started, Dak already had 215 attempts when Zeke was not in the game. Mostly (but not limited to) hurry-up situations, other obvious passing situations, and entire possessions when Zeke was being rested.

i dont think these are fair comparisons.
so the data is all before zeke suspension.
zeke's involvement even if he is not on the field for a particular play changes a lot.
hurry up situations obviously favor the passing offense since D may be in prevent.
same with obviously passing where the D may allow you to have shorter completions.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There were quite a few anointing him as the next Brady..
That’s just ridiculous but not surprising coming from this site(not the site but the posters). I’m a Dak fan, but there’s only 1 Brady. I’ve been watching football since 1963 and Brady is the best QB I’ve ever seen play. And I’ve seen almost all the great ones from Starr onwards.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
hurry up situations obviously favor the passing offense since D may be in prevent.
same with obviously passing where the D may allow you to have shorter completions.
No, obvious passing situations make passing more difficult.

NFL 2017
Last 2:00 of each half
1146 of 1935 12,435 yd 79 td 52 int 80.6
all other pass attempts
7107 of 11244 81,153 yd 495 td 265 int 89.7

3rd and 3+ to go
1983 of 3348 23,524 yd 140 td 101 int 82.1
all other pass attempts
6269 of 9830 70,064 yd 434 td 216 td 90.5

waldoputty

Reaction score
No, obvious passing situations make passing more difficult.

NFL 2017
Last 2:00 of each half
1146 of 1935 12,435 yd 79 td 52 int 80.6
all other pass attempts
7107 of 11244 81,153 yd 495 td 265 int 89.7

3rd and 3+ to go
1983 of 3348 23,524 yd 140 td 101 int 82.1
all other pass attempts
6269 of 9830 70,064 yd 434 td 216 td 90.5

i cannot see how these stats cover different scenarios.
3 and medium length would obviously make passing more difficult.
3 and very long would make passing shorter length easier.
stats that combine all these scenarios devalues the usefulness of a statistical argument.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

Not a fair comparison.

Surely teams game planning is completely different when it was known beforehand that Zeke wouldnt be on the field for the entire game as opposed to a series or two.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Surely teams game planning is completely different when it was known beforehand that Zeke wouldnt be on the field for the entire game as opposed to a series or two.
If your game plan is based on stopping a certain player, you're probably going to notice when he isn't in the game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
3 and very long would make passing shorter length easier.
Also leads to a lower passer rating.

3rd and 10+ to go
721 of 1186 8866 yd 27 td 36 int 78.8
all other pass attempts
7531 of 11992 84,722 yd 547 td 281 int 89.3

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He bought into his own hype that he was a franchise QB. He's finding out this year that he's not and he really should hand over his rookie of the year award to his running back. The real elite talent.

He's a game manager and that's all he ever will be. Anyone who wants to settle for that as the future at QB for the Dallas Cowboys is an insufferable homer who would accept anything the team gives them.
He should hand over his rookie of the year award to his running back. You’re funny! He had one of the best rookie seasons ever. Also, QB is a way tougher transition into the NFL than RB. You know this though. You just like to stir the pot. Have at funny man.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
He had a three game run where he was under a ton of pressure. He didn't play as well as a result. Is that regression? I don't think so. Rookie Dak would have looked like poo in an 8 sack game, too.

But he's played poorly for the last 4

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He had a few crap games running the most vanilla, easily game planned against, least creative offense in the league, minus his best player. He’ll be fine. But better get him a real coaching staff soon. Only get him on the cheap 2 more years.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Wilson didn't go to the Super Bowl as a rookie, it was his 2nd season. Of course that team allowed the fewest points and yards of any defense in football, and generated the most turnovers on defense, and had an elite run game. This Cowboys team in Dak's second season...uh...has none of those things.

I don't think most fans know what being a good QB even means. Dak has league average efficiency stats and everyone is acting like the Cowboys are back to starting Ryan Leaf or something. It's just hilariously dumb.

Like how many wins does Tom Brady have where he took 8 sacks? Or any current/future Hall of Famer?

Dak's passer rating this season is basically the same as Brady's passer rating the one season he had to throw passes to Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson. If the best passer of this generation has his stats tank when his supporting cast goes to crap, what are realistic expectations for Dak in his second season with Zeke out and Dez having the catch % of a pile of rocks?

Yeah.

edit to add: It's not that Dak doesn't have room for improvement (he does, it's his second season), it's that most of the criticism of him has no connection to reality.
Spot on! So many Dak haters. Dak has the work ethic and intangibles to thrive in this league. Brady wasn’t the GOAT after 2 years in the NFL.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Not really v Wash. just not a lot of passes or yards, but he was pretty effective.

He was effective on about 20% of his passes. I don't really feel like arguing but I doubt you win many games with your brand of effectiveness. Can't count on a bunch of TOs, special teams TD, and a dominating running game every week.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Just very limited skill set a predicted by draft pros
Doesn’t live up to the great past Cowboys legends like Roger Troy and Romo
Very serviceable backup in this league
The experiment is over
Don’t put Romo in same category as Aikman and the Dodger.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
c3DKmti.jpg

Hi

shabazz

Reaction score
Qiuncy Carter 2003 stats; 3,302 yards
Dak Prescott 2016 yards ; 3,667 yards

Currently Daks on course to throw for a whopping 3,224 yards this season. So yes he is regressing and becoming a weak point of the team

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Qiuncy Carter 2003 stats; 3,302 yards
Dak Prescott 2016 yards ; 3,667 yards

Currently Daks on course to throw for a whopping 3,224 yards this season. So yes he is regressing and becoming a weak point of the team
Yards. The QB metric for elementary schoolers.