Did the Cowboys tank yesterday?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
The theory I had was that they wanted to keep it close just in case there was a dramatic change in the Eagle game.

I believe once they saw how it was going at the end of the 3rd quarter, they took it lightly.

Rayman70

Reaction score
this yesterday is who we have been for the last 26-27 years. Why would that change? I expect a bit better next week, but in the end, it will fall short.

bewp7

Reaction score
yeah the same way they will tank on monday vs bucs

this is not a team that can just flip a switch and be a championship team lol

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
As I watched (disgusted) yesterday's game and saw just how pervasive the lethargy and half-assed efforts were across the board on this team I found myself wondering? Was this done on purpose? Could Mike McCarthy be like me in that he doesn't trust this team when it's riding high and the media is all caressing their ..er.. private parts. Could he had instructed both coordinators to present a preseason level game plan and really never put much into the game? If it had been one side of the ball I might feel differently.. but the defensive effort was sporadic, the special teams were horrible.. the receivers dropped balls, the QB was off, the backs looked like they were running in quicksand and my lord, the offensive line looked like they would struggle to block Baylor.

Everybody stunk.. If it wasn't an outright tank then they need to get the name of whoever catered the pregame meal and never use them again and never stay at whatever hotel they stayed at again either. If it wasn't taking, food poisoning or somebody pulling the fire alarm at 3 am, then this team will have a short visit to the playoffs if it can't play about 20,000 miles above what they showed us yesterday.
The principle of Occam’s razor states that when all possibilities are considered the overwhelming amount of time it’s the simplest reason that is correct …the Dallas Cowboys are over rated garbage , that’s the simple truth .

Rayman70

Reaction score
professionals get PAID to play. If they don't, then they have quit.

Strykerscm

Reaction score
If an owner ever uncovered that to be the truth, they would be fired on the spot.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew someone would make a thread like this. Thinking that they did it on purpose or just tried to be too vanilla to not give up a game plan going into the playoffs.

To answer the question...NO THEY DID NOT TANK,..the word needed to replace tank should be SUCKED

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That makes no sense. Why risk injury to starters? Players were mentally checked out and they were manhandled by a supposed inferior team.

Exactly, and it was clear that the team had no interest in playing yesterday. I understand wanting to get momentum going for the playoff game. However, clearly the players didn't want to be there. So, it might have been better to just pull them and not risk injury.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Watching that game it was pretty clear that our team "leaders" were not interested in being there. From Dak to Zeke to D Flaw to Tyron Smith it is a recurring theme that our highest paid "leaders" set horrible examples for the rest of the team. I have no idea how you could have a healthy locker room when there are guys busting their buts for 2 million bucks that have to sit beside clown shows making 10 times that who don't even feel the need to show up. Parsons has already started to check out. Why wouldn't he.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Great spin.... here is a question for you Ronnie, why does Dak stink on grass?

You do know that Dak had two of the best games of his career last year on grass right? He put up over 400 yards and 3 TDs on grass at Tampa and 450 yards and 3 TDs against the Pats on grass. Other theories certainly welcome.

Creeper

Reaction score
I vote that it was not an intentional tank job. However, I do think it is possible that the Cowboys felt that the game was not important and that all they wanted was to come out of the game without any more injuries. I would say they were clearly not focused and that explains the dropped snap by Anger, the muffed punt by Turpin, the missed extra point by Maher, and a ton of other bad plays. I just think if the team was not 100% intent on winning they would look like they did yesterday.

The problem is, can they overcome such a pathetic performance? Will it introduce doubt into their minds for the next game?

This much I do know. If they cannot find a CB opposite Diggs, a running game, a QB who completes more than 38% of his passes, and a QB who does not throw pick 6s, they have no chance of winning a game in the playoffs even against the 8-9 Bucs.

Maybe getting back Biadasz, LVE and Hankins will give them a little boost but that team we saw yesterday is the 6-11 team I thought they were before the season started.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If planning on "tanking" why not rest the starters? Or at least pull the starters after the first 2 drives or half. Just doesnt make sense to have em out that long just to suck for no reason
Yea, that wasn’t tanking . We just provided a team playing for pride a reason to win with the early turnovers and lead.

It was like we were watching the score of the Egirls game after that. Which at that point became the meaningless game most of us thought it would be.

Once NY announced they were resting stars and Phil announced Hurts was starting. That was the writing on the wall.

I don’t think anyone expected Egirls to lose. And that’s exactly how we played.

Stsinaz12

Reaction score
As I watched (disgusted) yesterday's game and saw just how pervasive the lethargy and half-assed efforts were across the board on this team I found myself wondering? Was this done on purpose? Could Mike McCarthy be like me in that he doesn't trust this team when it's riding high and the media is all caressing their ..er.. private parts. Could he had instructed both coordinators to present a preseason level game plan and really never put much into the game? If it had been one side of the ball I might feel differently.. but the defensive effort was sporadic, the special teams were horrible.. the receivers dropped balls, the QB was off, the backs looked like they were running in quicksand and my lord, the offensive line looked like they would struggle to block Baylor.

Everybody stunk.. If it wasn't an outright tank then they need to get the name of whoever catered the pregame meal and never use them again and never stay at whatever hotel they stayed at again either. If it wasn't taking, food poisoning or somebody pulling the fire alarm at 3 am, then this team will have a short visit to the playoffs if it can't play about 20,000 miles above what they showed us yesterday.
MM directed Moore to be bland. He told the starters play a half and a series and I will get you out BUT this is the NFL and the teams are so close now that if you take your foot off the gas even a little you can half this type of performance. This had a preseason type feel. Remember Brad Sham said they would be trying things and remember coming out of half they said they wanted to pull players. It didnt workout like that. MM wanted tbay and he got them now prepare for it. You better have some changeups like moving Micah around AND up the middle hitting the weakest link. Tom Brady needs to have someone in his face just watch cinnci and the saints game. Hit their weakest links on D too.