News: Did this deal set the bar for Schultz?

rags747

Reaction score
He isn’t anything special but he’s gotten better every season and his 8 TD catches in 2021 was tied for the team lead. He’s become a solid receiving TE and a good security blanket for Dak plus he moves the chains. The kid we just drafted hasn’t played a down in the NFL yet and could end up being a bust. He has yet to prove he has quality starting potential. If Schultz improves over what he did last season I don’t see him going anywhere. His TE numbers ranked fifth last season. The Cowboys obviously value him to place a franchise tag on him.

If the kid from Wisconsin were to have a solid rookie season putting up 450-600 yards along with 5+ TDs in a limited role that could make Schultz expendable. You can’t just pencil the Wisconsin kid in for 2023 until we see him play. The Cowboys can’t keep moving on from good players for cheaper options and continue to contend. What they’ve already lost has made them a less talented team and could hamper their ability to contend this season.
Not penciling in the Wisconsin kid, basically saying that we have Schultz for this year under the franchise tag, we have one year to decide if he Wisconsin kid is up to the task. We basically agree imo…

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not penciling in the Wisconsin kid, basically saying that we have Schultz for this year under the franchise tag, we have one year to decide if he Wisconsin kid is up to the task. We basically agree imo…

That’s a lot different than what you said previously. You said “let him walk. Wisconsin kid can take over. “ What you’re saying now I agree with.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's like the sports cars are arguing with each other.
Lol.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I just see nothing special in Schultz, he’s good but do you really think he cannot be replaced?

Can he be replaced? Yes. Is it easy? Draft history says not really. Less than half of the TEs drafted are going to go on to have decent careers, few will be good starters.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Unless the rookie bombs, ain’t no way we are paying Schultz big money. We will probably give Zeke a another big extension instead…

I agree with you about Schultz, no way Dallas pays him that contract.....but i disagree on Zeke...that would be another major mistake by the FO in their history of worst contracts ever. you can't discount it though because of his BFF Dak. But it would be a yuuuuggeee mistake.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You can't roll with a 10th rated QB and win with avg skilled players. Esp at te in this offense. It's needs 2 good receiving tes to open up our run and passing attack

You either have a gamechanger at te or you keep moving on to find value.

Pick 1 or 2 up in fa for 3, 4, 5 or 6 million each.

Schultz hasn't done nothing outside our weak division to earn 7 million per much less 15 million. He's got good numbers in this offense for 1 year but his scoring stats were in lopsided games against Philly where he picked up 4 of his 8 tds.

Njoku was overpaid also imo and I'd buck the trends and spend top money on another wr instead. Grab a cheap veteran receiving TE now to be the 3rd down receiving te in the Red Zone and draft another to go w Ferguson in next years draft.

We're weaker as a te core and wr core plus our run game was less than desirable already.

If we're paying Schultz Amari Cooper money that's just totally absurd imo

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
If we're paying Schultz Cooper's and Wilson's money I think we made a boo boo

The sooner we pay him he'll drop out of the top 15 tes rankings w/o Cooper. Lmao

Please Lord let Jeremy Sprinkle turn into Martellus Bennett for 1 million. Ha ha ha

We're gonna have some growing pains on offense. Imo. The yards and scoring Production w this scheme just doesn't seem to add up on paper.

We're looking at a big drop off in scoring production and hoping for a bunch of coulda woulda shouldas to happen.

And I don't think it will happen lol.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I think the Schultz'kowski long term contract supporters are looking at pure stats through rose colored glasses.

He had 2 Tds outside our division and went on a 9 game slump with only 1 TD

That's not a winning formula
I wouldn't have tagged a Jag te to begin with

And now y'all are talking about making a Jarwin'ish te a top tier paid te.

It's absurd. Imo.

I'd rather have Jesse James for 2 million and Not be locked in at the inflated price. Ha ha ha

Those rinky dink checkdown passes don't win nothing for us anyways

It just inflates the QBR.

It's not dynamic enough scoring production when it's all coming from blowout wins against a bunch of scrub division rival games.

Old man Witten could have scored 6 tds last year against the WFT, giants, and eagles rest your starters.

Wake up

Last edited:

Mannix

Reaction score
Braindead!!!! Top money for a TE, who in reality really isn’t a true TE…all to please and prop up your overpaid and overrated QB who can’t throw to anyone else. I’m done with this blanked up organization!!!

ghst187

Reaction score
I agree with you about Schultz, no way Dallas pays him that contract.....but i disagree on Zeke...that would be another major mistake by the FO in their history of worst contracts ever. you can't discount it though because of his BFF Dak. But it would be a yuuuuggeee mistake.

I agree, the last one was a mistake but another one wouldn’t surprise me considering these FO clowns and their favorites

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like Schultz, but his skillset is not worth that type of cash.

I’d resign him for a reasonable deal for both parties. But TEs with his talent are not super difficult to find.

You know what? It may not be the worst idea to trade him. I'd imagine we could probably get at least a 4-5 for him. We have a lot of depth at TE, and it sounds like they may try to shift Simi also to TE. Also, Jeremy Sprinkle has been showing to be a decent TE as well. Between that and Ferguson, I would be actually for trading him.

dckid

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

David Njoku 4 years for $56.75 million ($28 million guaranteed)

Last year Njoku caught 36 passes for 475 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Meanwhile Schultz caught 78 passes for 808 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Schultz could command 60 million and 32 million guaranteed for 4 years.

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.
It’s an easy pass. Cleveland with a serious overpay but they are banking on future production.

Mannix

Reaction score
You know what? It may not be the worst idea to trade him. I'd imagine we could probably get at least a 4-5 for him. We have a lot of depth at TE, and it sounds like they may try to shift Simi also to TE. Also, Jeremy Sprinkle has been showing to be a decent TE as well. Between that and Ferguson, I would be actually for trading him.

100%

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he is so great can we trade him and go with the rookie? We need o line help

In my opinion? No. Not at that over $10 million franchise tag salary.

I don’t think he was worth the Cowboys tagging him in the first place. A good TE, not a ‘franchise’ one.