CZ POLL Did you agree with the decision to kick the field goal at the end of the game? **merged**

Did you agree with the decision to kick the field goal at the end of the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wrong.

And I tend to think that we should have kicked the FG.

But, if there was 1 minute left and no timeouts for Oakland...different situation.

This was close...but the timeout and the time on the clock changes things.

YR

But the 3 points won us the game lol.........if we didn't have those 3 points.....we go into OT if everything plays out the same. Those 3 point required Carr to play aggressive...too aggressive to the point Brown had a pick 6.

Alweezy

Reaction score
It was the smart call. You take the points, and you go out and execute. Anthony Brown drops a gimme pick that would have iced it.

Worst case scenario would have been stubbornly trying to punch it in. Then watching Oakland go down the field and kick a game winning FG. Atleast this way, you put all the pressure on them to score 7, and live with that result.

Garrett actually adjusted offensively this game, the run wasn't working tonight, they spreaded the field and start attacking down field, and that's what got them back in the game. The fake punt, was a great play call. The defense will have to be much better next week. We gave away 4 TO's and were bailed out in the end.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
What did Garrett do for this to be considered the “game of his career”?

Going for that 4th down Dak made is what about 70% of coaches in the league would have done. And he looked just as surprised as I did on the fake punt.

Anyway...a win is a win, especially this late on the season! See ya soon 21!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
But the 3 points won us the game lol.........if we didn't have those 3 points.....we go into OT if everything plays out the same. Those 3 point required Carr to play aggressive...too aggressive to the point Brown had a pick 6.

Those 3 points did not make Carr play aggressive. The pass that Brown should have picked off was not an aggressive pass or play. All he had to do was drive down into FG position and tie the game. If we go for it and don't get it...now the Raiders have the ball on their own 1-foot line which is a precarious position. However, I think we were out of timeouts, so had we gone for it...not gotten it and given the ball back on their own 1 foot line and somehow got the ball back...probably would not have enough time to do something to score back if we got the ball back on a punt.

YR

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer but the call to kick a field goal at the 1 inch line was bad. if we can't push that in from there, we didn't deserve to win that game anyway. i though it was a gutless call.

Well if we were playing the Packers then definitely go for it, anyone else you can't risk taking game winning points off the board. I'm convinced though Zeke bangs it in down there before 4th down.

lockster

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer but the call to kick a field goal at the 1 inch line was bad. if we can't push that in from there, we didn't deserve to win that game anyway. i though it was a gutless call.
I was for letting smith run the ball at the goal line the whole 4 downs, not mortis

endersdragon

Reaction score
We went for it on 3rd and goal from the 1... we failed... We went for it on 4th and 18 inches and got it by the narrowest of margins. I didn't like the playcall on 3rd down, would have preferred a keeper or a play action fake bootleg... but on 4th you don't do anything stupid. If it was the Patriots no one would have a problem with kicking the FG... why should they have a problem with it here?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Personally I would have gone for it because even though hope springs eternal, in reality they don't have a lot to lose. But I don't begrudge them for kicking the FG...

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And he looked just as surprised as I did on the fake punt.

Anyway...a win is a win, especially this late on the season! See ya soon 21!

That's a damn lie. The special teams coach can suggest that to the head coach but he has to approve it at the end of the days. Garrett knew what we were about to do

garyo1954

Reaction score
i would have kicked the fg and then Anthony Brown would have caught the pick. Game over.
Since we're dreaming:

I'd have been ahead by 68 points, pulled the starters and ordered pizza and beer, all because because I would have coached the game off the game thread.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Those 3 points did not make Carr play aggressive. The pass that Brown should have picked off was not an aggressive pass or play. All he had to do was drive down into FG position and tie the game. If we go for it and don't get it...now the Raiders have the ball on their own 1-foot line which is a precarious position. However, I think we were out of timeouts, so had we gone for it...not gotten it and given the ball back on their own 1 foot line and somehow got the ball back...probably would not have enough time to do something to score back if we got the ball back on a punt.

YR

You had faith in this defense to hold up even from the 1 yard line? Even after you saw them call that PI on Lewis? And yes, that pass by Carr was aggressive. His receiver wasn't open. Brown was with him the hole time. Carr felt pressed to score because he had to at least get in field goal range.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
I would of gone for it. I would of ran it in with Smith. Why are we using Morris there? Or try a QB sneak.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Gutless is an understatment...If we fail...they need to go @ least 65....And there is a chance we may score w/ a safety. Instead....

And...just like I predicted....our defense couldn't wait to give up points. Marinellie is the worst coordinator in the history of the NFL. The guy has absolutely no feel for todays game. He was content on letting Oakland march right down the field....sitting in that zone under ..cover 2. My god our DBs were literally giving 10 yard cushions to Oaks WRs the entire drive....And Lewis still got beat deep. :facepalm:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Gutless is an understatment...If we fail...they need to go @ least 65....And there is a chance we may score w/ a safety. Instead....

And...just like I predicted....our defense couldn't wait to give up points. Marinellie is the worst coordinator in the history of the NFL. The guy has absolutely no feel for todays game. He was content on letting Oakland march right down the field....sitting in that zone under ..cover 2. My god our DBs were literally giving 10 yard cushions to Oaks WRs the entire drive....And Lewis still got beat deep. :facepalm:

the 2 deep look allowed brown to jump a route, as poorly thrown as it was and it should have been a pick six for the win. He just dropped it.

I can't stand this defensive scheme but he had a play call in tonight on that final drive that should have won the game. It happens.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mistakes were made on second and third down, not the fourth down call. The should have at least spread the defense out some instead of giving them the ability to crowd the center of the line.

I think sometimes the Cowboys coaches let the strength of the offensive line go to their head. The line is really good, but it's not so dominant that it can push back against 8-9 guys at once, especially when everyone knows you are running the ball up the middle.

The smart play would have been to spread out a couple of receivers on second and third down and trust your 5 guys to beat their 6-7 guys, instead of 8-9 guys you get by going bunch formation.

Once the second down and third down play call mistakes were made, it made the field goal all but a given call on fourth.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
the 2 deep look allowed brown to jump a route, as poorly thrown as it was and it should have been a pick six for the win. He just dropped it.

I can't stand this defensive scheme but he had a play call in tonight on that final drive that should have won the game. It happens.

I got no problem w/ the 2 deep safety look...It's they way we play our CBs. Jam somebody!!! Throw off the WR timing...Instead we just let teams pick us apart like a Thanksgiving day turkey. :rolleyes:

Alohawg1

Reaction score
The mistakes were made on second and third down, not the fourth down call. The should have at least spread the defense out some instead of giving them the ability to crowd the center of the line.

I think sometimes the Cowboys coaches let the strength of the offensive line go to their head. The line is really good, but it's not so dominant that it can push back against 8-9 guys at once, especially when everyone knows you are running the ball up the middle.

The smart play would have been to spread out a couple of receivers on second and third down and trust your 5 guys to beat their 6-7 guys, instead of 8-9 guys you get by going bunch formation.

Once the second down and third down play call mistakes were made, it made the field goal all but a given call on fourth.

Agreed, problem is smart approach and this staff rarely ever intersect.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Some points are better than no points. With bailey, 3 was all but guaranteed. However, that 1 yd was not, especially how poorly we ran the ball after the 1st Q. The Raiders seemed to be stuffing us, especially in the 2nd half. I believe Smith and Smith should have been the 3rd down duo, not Morris and Smith.

Had we gone for it, I say spread the field and run a QB draw.

Nirvana

Reaction score
The benefit of running the ball was also that the clock kept running and the Raiders had to burn timeouts to keep us from running the clock down. It reminded me of Madden where we all try our best to run the clock down with the expectation of being able to run it in once we need to. In this case, giving it to Morris was looking like a blessing for 2nd down, but why we didn't use Rod Smith for 3rd down is a mystery to me. I wanted 7 and was willing to go for it. It worked out but we got extremely lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.