Did you think there were bad calls/non-calls in the Super Bowl?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah the refs actually had their choice of holding, PI or illegal contact on that play. I don't know how anyone could call it "ticky tacky." But it was par for the course to me.. One thing I DID notice was that I don't recall any offensive holding calls. There must have been a clear directive to let 'em play in the trenches. And a lot of that played out with DB/WR matchups too until that last drive. Seems like the refs didn't wanna throw a lotta flags.. and the game was better for it. Though I have no explanation for how they could justify not seeing Boyd almost twist Ramsey's head off.. other than they just don't like him.. Which I totally agree ..

Because the ref on that play was about 10 yards behind it. The camera view gave us the shot in front of the play, the ref is well behind the play. So I do get how he could have missed it. For the most part not many fouls called

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Did the side line replay show the Bengals made 3rd and 1?

No, It looked as if he was about to get it had he fallen forward, Donald made sure that did not happen. I was pulling for Cin but being honest in my view he did not make the 1st down.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No, It looked as if he was about to get it had he fallen forward, Donald made sure that did not happen. I was pulling for Cin but being honest in my view he did not make the 1st down.

I actually thought he had made it too at first but it was because he reached out his left arm for an instant and I thought the ball was in that hand. On replay you could see he had the ball in his right hand tucked to his body and that part of his body was stopped a good half yard short.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Being born and raised, and presently living in L.A.(and a lifetime Cowboys fan), I slightly disagree about L.A. not being a football town. Here, we have Rams, Chargers, USC, UCLA. Yeah, maybe the perceived overall football knowledge may not be good as Pittsburgh, New York, Dallas, New England, Chicago, Cleveland etc. I don't know if that is the point you are making.

Rams wind up in Oakland? Nah. Building SoFi took care of that. Oakland will forever be Raider territory. The Rams will not fit there.

I do agree that the Chargers will be back in San Diego in 20 years, especially if the Spanos family somehow, someway miraculously loses control or get bought out. Plus, San Diego needs a better, more modern Stadium. Qualcomm is a bit dated. Maybe the SD population will have a change of heart by then.

L.A. basketball. Lakers and Clippers. Not very good right now but I agree with you about being a basketball town.
I should have been more specific. I don't think LA is an NFL football town, but for sure LA loves their college football.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
There was a side line view that showed he went past the line to gain (at least to me). Also, it was a strange coaching call to run the ball when Burrow seemed to be hot on that drive.

The refs getting involved on the Rams drive after 2 quarters of the Rams going no where was suspect.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Because the ref on that play was about 10 yards behind it. The camera view gave us the shot in front of the play, the ref is well behind the play. So I do get how he could have missed it. For the most part not many fouls called

I could see how the side judge who was behind the play could have missed it but there is supposed to be another ref in the middle of the field and he should have had a clear view of it. I'd have to watch the all-22 to know exactly how he didn't see it. Maybe there were players in his line of sight.. who knows..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I actually thought he had made it too at first but it was because he reached out his left arm for an instant and I thought the ball was in that hand. On replay you could see he had the ball in his right hand tucked to his body and that part of his body was stopped a good half yard short.

I was hoping he was going to get it but Donald made a fantastic play

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
I agree
The calls were legit I think but they didn’t call them earlier
I just hate that a really good game ended up being decided by penalty over play
They let them play. Bengals 1st scoring drive where they were held to a FG , there was a hold on Ramsey. That's the only reason I call the other one ticky tacky..both were fouls but only one called.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I was hoping he was going to get it but Donald made a fantastic play

It was interesting because obviously without my team being in it I went back and forth about who I wanted to win.. The only person in the game I actually hated was probably Ramsey.. and he got abused all day.. Well I could throw OBJ in there too but the football gods got him.. In the end I think I decided that Burrow and Chase have not earned the right to hoist the trophy this young.. and Stafford, having lived through 0-16, was probably more deserving..

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I could see how the side judge who was behind the play could have missed it but there is supposed to be another ref in the middle of the field and he should have had a clear view of it. I'd have to watch the all-22 to know exactly how he didn't see it. Maybe there were players in his line of sight.. who knows..
OK but that was a dumb play call taking the ball out of a hot Joe Burrow's hand. Also to do it with Mixon on the bench is suspect for McVay assistant Coach who owes everything he has to Sean McVay.

I personally did not like the game as there were strange unnatural football happenings the whole game. Team with 7 sacks on the QB leading most of the game, Mixon was running the ball but no play action/boot legs off the run by the Bengals, no penalties until the Rams final drive, 4 point lead last almost a full 2 quarters tnen with 2 minutes left they go to Kupp, Rams win with no successful running game, no doubling on Kupp for the final drive, etc.

It was a strange game. Left me empty considering most of the playoff games were better and more exciting.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
There was a side line view that showed he went past the line to gain (at least to me). Also, it was a strange coaching call to run the ball when Burrow seemed to be hot on that drive.

The refs getting involved on the Rams drive after 2 quarters of the Rams going no where was suspect.
That spot was B.S.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Maybe they should consider using replay to avoid terrible calls and obvious missed calls. Maybe that sky judge idea isn't so bad, or possibly allowing the challenge of penalties. Maybe with the obvious facemask call being made and the bogus holding call not being made the Rams win anyway. The thing is, we have no way of knowing. I would rather have had both calls be right and then we know the right team won.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
should always criticize bad officiating. And that last Rams drive was certainly worthy of it.

No it wasn’t. The worst call that changed momentum and the game was the Bengals WR grabbing Ramsay’s face mask and throwing him down and then running in for a TD. It’s not even close. Then on the last drive Kupp catches a TD where not only did 2 defenders try and tackle him mid route but he then got hit in the face. That was offset by a weak O holding call. The jersey pull next call was legit. The fact that people are literally acting like the Ramsey play didn’t happen shows an obvious bias and agenda. It’s just whining. I see no players in the game blaming refs. Only ridiculous posters here. They won fair and square. Rams had no O but to throw to Kupp and the Bengals failed to stop it.

If people think officiating as a whole sucks, great, talk about it. But people trying to say the Rams got over when they literally had the biggest right to complain is disingenuous

curboys

Reaction score
Really? This contact happens on every passing down in the NFL. And they have been “letting them play” all game long and decide to flag THIS?! Nah. This is textbook “ticky tack” “mickey mouse” and “bushleague” officiating

Nothing against your comment Hawkeye19, just thought this was a good spot to add my comment.

As pointed out by Michael Hurley, this could also be considered a "ticky tack" play; however, if called the defensive holding call is a non-issue. Were the refs looking the other way on this one ?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Those false starts were clear even at home watching on TV...the refs just didn't care. Seemed like there was pressure to get the game over with so NBC could move onto Olympics coverage (that's why the trophy presentation felt so rushed)

RonWashington

Reaction score
For those who cry spilled milk for the Bengals how about Jalen Ramsey getting thrown to the ground thus the Bengals scored on a 75 yard Bomb 2nd no call when Aaron Donald shoved Joe Burrow out of bounds because Burrow was still running for yards half the Bengals bench tried to jump Donald , Pete Rose was even in on it looked like .

The lousy officials were consistent they were lousy .

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
This.

Basically a clean “let em play” game until the Rams get down goal to go under 2 mins— then the ticky tack calls start rolling in. 3 in a row setting them up with 1st and goal at the 1?!

I thought it was a great game until the end when the refs once again unfairly affected the outcome of a game.

How penalties are not reviewable or challengeable at this point is criminal… everyone in the world saw that the “holding” call on 3rd and goal was a phantom call.

With the NFL getting more and more in bed with Vegas… eyebrows are going to continue to raise when it comes to whether or not the league is affecting results through the refs

And when games end like this one did— and it’s far from an isolated case— who can blame the skeptics?

Bottom line: Poor officiating is destroying the credibility and quality of the product on the field.
It's entertainment and the masses who viewed this "game" were entertained were they not?