Did you think there were bad calls/non-calls in the Super Bowl?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was having a bit of fun...

But the point stands. I am not saying there is or isn't. It most certainly is POSSIBLE.

My FEELING about it....is (for example) Jerry and GODell publicly feuded...and Zeke found himself at home for 6 critical weeks in 2017, against his own female counsel. Jerry had a great run in 2016, poised for another solid run in 2017. GODell put the kibosh on the that oh what a coincidence. Jerry's PRIZE...shamed and sitting.

So why wouldn't that attitude permeate up and down the NFL organization...either through discreet edict or just general corporate atmosphere? I am sure the suspension was a prominent subject in the offices and meetings. And water cooler.

It doesn't HAVE to be a direct order in a memo from GODell to the line judge. It also doesn't (necessarily) have a tie in with Vegas. Although that *is* big business follow the money!

If GODell gives favor to a certain team....why wouldn't everyone else downward follow the lead? IF GODelll gives disfavor....follow the lead.

I am not saying this is what happened/happens. But I know human nature.

what I hear from most fans of all team when they lose it is someone else fault or game was rigged. I went to a Cowboys vs Saints game and had Saint fans behind me and all they could talk about was how the league favored the Cowboys and how they get the calls. I agree about human nature and it is a hell of a lot easier blaming Goodell or refs for the Cowboys own mistakes. As I have said before when it comes to money the NFL has much more to lose by fixing games than they could ever gain by fixing. Fans would leave in droves if it was proven the games were not on the up and up. Bad calls happen but bad calls happened even at Jr. High level, High School level and college level and it always will for 1 simple fact, refs are human and they too make mistakes, they miss calls in a game that is fast moving. We as fans get to see 4 or 5 different views on a play, ref has 1 view and where is is standing can be a big factor in calling a penalty or not, or if some one is in his way and just did not see it.

Frankly there are many plays that I feel they have blown but then watch replay and see they were correct.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Yeah, I don't know how they missed that false start. The offsetting penalties after would have been meaningless and the Rams would have been backed up further with 2 shots to get in. Kinda thinking they would have but a terrible time to miss a call.

RaZon

Reaction score
Well, I don't know about "high character people" because who can really say. But even less so can you assume all of them are up to no good when there's a bad or no-call. It's just an excuse to keep in the back pocket for those that can't accept a loss that people try to back up by saying, "well, it's possible." So are the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot.

You know what it takes to get into the NFL as a ref, it isn't easy and all these guys have had to have background checks and all that. These aren't.....fix a game....sure! Come on how silly does it get?

RaZon

Reaction score
So NCAA football is rigged, we see just as many bad calls and non calls there, actually more because we have far more games.

Started watching this stuff in the late 50's, been bad calls since day one, nothing is rigged, nothing is fixed. How anyone thinks that could be pulled off just isn't thinking. It simply would never work at all it cannot be done, try....impossible.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You know what it takes to get into the NFL as a ref, it isn't easy and all these guys have had to have background checks and all that. These aren't.....fix a game....sure! Come on how silly does it get?

Yeah, I'm sure they're vetted big time. No multi-billion dollar outlet is going to risk their fortunes having not done their homework. What I found funny is that our game against SF featured a ref that was a former Cowboys player (Nate Jones) and yet not one peep out of any of these CONSPIRACY! folk. You know if the reverse was true, it'd have been PROOF of a sham to ensure the Cowboys lose. Lol.

This is why I say it's just a handy excuse for folks to have so you can tell people who tease you that you didn't really lose. Basically, middle school and high school defense strategies.

kevm3

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure they're vetted big time. No multi-billion dollar outlet is going to risk their fortunes having not done their homework. What I found funny is that our game against SF featured a ref that was a former Cowboys player (Nate Jones) and yet not one peep out of any of these CONSPIRACY! folk. You know if the reverse was true, it'd have been PROOF of a sham to ensure the Cowboys lose. Lol.

This is why I say it's just a handy excuse for folks to have so you can tell people who tease you that you didn't really lose. Basically, middle school and high school defense strategies.

If San Francisco got hosed with 14 penalties, then there would be talk as there should be.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I think it is wrong to "let the players play" for 58 minutes and then all of a sudden, in the last two minutes of the game change the way you call it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If San Francisco got hosed with 14 penalties, then there would be talk as there should be.

I'm talking about the amount of whining there would have been before the game even started given how the refs are "always trying to screw the Cowboys." When it came out that "Hey, there's a former Cowboy ref," then it was crickets and the selection of refs was legit even though they're dirty bastids. Lol.

Flamma

Reaction score
Speaking of missed facemask calls on a passing play, would you say this no-call was the result of "preferring a certain team" or "leaning towards" the Cowboys seeing as this helped win that game this season?

I couldn't tell you. The refs are inconsistent enough for us not to be able to tell. That could have also been seen as incidental contact on a pass that was never going to be caught.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So NCAA football is rigged, we see just as many bad calls and non calls there, actually more because we have far more games.

Started watching this stuff in the late 50's, been bad calls since day one, nothing is rigged, nothing is fixed. How anyone thinks that could be pulled off just isn't thinking. It simply would never work at all it cannot be done, try....impossible.

Tim Donaghy, former NBA ref for 13 years, spent time (I think two years) in the federal pen for accomplishing exactly what you say is impossible. Got caught up in gambling and then ended up fixing games.. and then ended up getting caught. I believe his most famous screwjob was when he helped the Lakers beat the Kings in that memorable series back in the early 2000s. I tend not to speak in absolutes because the years have taught me that the crooks are generally always a step or two ahead of the "cops." Some may choose to believe he is the ONLY one to slip through the cracks in 150 years of professional and big time college sports.. I am not among them. The others are just better at it.

Flamma

Reaction score
You really believe these refs do anything other than the best job they can? All these guys have other jobs, all of them are high character people.

Not going to buy it.

I don't believe anything other than to say I don't rule it out. If I was a part time ref and someone offered me enough money, you better believe I'd do it. It's just a game.

RaZon

Reaction score
I don't believe anything other than to say I don't rule it out. If I was a part time ref and someone offered me enough money, you better believe I'd do it. It's just a game.

Apparently this is about more than some greedy ref, the talk of the NFL is rigged, it's fixed is the thing. There is no way in hell that could be done.

Flamma

Reaction score
Apparently this is about more than some greedy ref, the talk of the NFL is rigged, it's fixed is the thing. There is no way in hell that could be done.

Totally rigged or fixed, without anyone catching on? I'd say you're right.

RaZon

Reaction score
Tim Donaghy, former NBA ref for 13 years, spent time (I think two years) in the federal pen for accomplishing exactly what you say is impossible. Got caught up in gambling and then ended up fixing games.. and then ended up getting caught. I believe his most famous screwjob was when he helped the Lakers beat the Kings in that memorable series back in the early 2000s. I tend not to speak in absolutes because the years have taught me that the crooks are generally always a step or two ahead of the "cops." Some may choose to believe he is the ONLY one to slip through the cracks in 150 years of professional and big time college sports.. I am not among them. The others are just better at it.

Who was talking basketball, not me so so far it has been impossible when it comes to the NFL. Way too many people involved to think it could work, it coudn't.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Who was talking basketball, not me so so far it has been impossible when it comes to the NFL. Way too many people involved to think it could work, it coudn't.
I think having MORE people officiating might make it easier for a ref to impact games. Especially if we're talking ONE or just a FEW games. Because holding literally happens on EVERY offensive snap a ref would not even have to try that hard to make sure a team had trouble moving the ball. He could just flag one of the 6 guys he sees holding every play. And he wouldn't have to do it every down. Only on key downs.. First and goal situations.. Or when the penalty takes a team out of FG position. Just on those ones that can impact the score. After all most money is bet on the spread as opposed to who is going to win or lose. And because nearly every offensive linemen and tight end is holding anyway .. how would we notice? Because every time they showed the replay SOMEBODY would be holding and the announcers would just say "they got the number wrong.."

RaZon

Reaction score
I think having MORE people officiating might make it easier for a ref to impact games. Especially if we're talking ONE or just a FEW games. Because holding literally happens on EVERY offensive snap a ref would not even have to try that hard to make sure a team had trouble moving the ball. He could just flag one of the 6 guys he sees holding every play. And he wouldn't have to do it every down. Only on key downs.. First and goal situations.. Or when the penalty takes a team out of FG position. Just on those ones that can impact the score. After all most money is bet on the spread as opposed to who is going to win or lose. And because nearly every offensive linemen and tight end is holding anyway .. how would we notice? Because every time they showed the replay SOMEBODY would be holding and the announcers would just say "they got the number wrong.."

So you really think NFL officials are low rent cheats, ok man.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you. The refs are inconsistent enough for us not to be able to tell. That could have also been seen as incidental contact on a pass that was never going to be caught.

So maybe the inconsistency is just that .... inconsistent and not some rigging "movement."

And incidental contact doesn't pull a facemask in 2 different directions. The receiver was clearly impacted by the pull as he tried to make his break towards the ball so you cant call that pass uncatchable either because he was hindered from even making a play on it. Nice college try though, lol.

kevm3

Reaction score
So you really think NFL officials are low rent cheats, ok man.

Yes. There's no way they could be this bad year after year and the NFL never makes an effort to improve the officiating.

plasticman

Reaction score
It seemed as though the refs had decided to let both teams play aggressively throughout the game and then, with two minutes left, they do a complete 180. They were throwing flags for things these players had been doing all game long.

I was actually complimenting them on letting the teams decide who would win this game. However, in the end, it was the refs who determined the victor. It was so ridiculous that I now have to question the legitimacy of this league.

These days, you have a Las Vegas team. NFL gambling is now openly discussed and and even analyzed in the media.

Now, you have back to back years in which the SB is being played in the home stadium for a SB participant with a veteran QB playing his first season for a new team. It's just suspicious, especially considering all that money that is at stake.

RaZon

Reaction score
Yes. There's no way they could be this bad year after year and the NFL never makes an effort to improve the officiating.

So you don't watch high school, NCAA football do you?