Did you think there were bad calls/non-calls in the Super Bowl?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Overall….decent reffed game by two teams who play pretty clean ball anyway..

But The worst by far was the possible game changing TD bomb by the Bengals when Higgens pulled Ramsey’s facemask so hard it turned his head around while the ball was in the air.
That was unreal
That facemask was so hard it took Ramsey totally out of the play. It threw Ramsey totally off balance and ultimately down to the ground.
That Face mask gave Cinci an easy walk in Freebie TD!
The Cinci fans don't seem to want to talk about that play.

Flamma

Reaction score
So maybe the inconsistency is just that .... inconsistent and not some rigging "movement."

And incidental contact doesn't pull a facemask in 2 different directions. The receiver was clearly impacted by the pull as he tried to make his break towards the ball so you cant call that pass uncatchable either because he was hindered from even making a play on it. Nice college try though, lol.

Again, I'm not suggesting anything is rigged, just that they could influence games if they wanted to. Because we wouldn't be able to tell.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That facemask was so hard it took Ramsey totally out of the play. It threw Ramsey totally off balance and ultimately down to the ground.
That Face mask gave Cinci an easy walk in Freebie TD!
The Cinci fans don't seem to want to talk about that play.
It was worse than all other no-calls combined....and not even close. It gave them a length of the field TD. Without it, any other later penalty would've very possibly have been irrelevant.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Overall I think the refs did a good job. The PI at the end was the only call I really hated.

my thoughts are I would much rather the refs hang on to their flags on a boarder line play than throw it. Just let em play, even the missed calls I really don’t mind unless it’s just overwhelmingly obvious. It’s the ticky tack called flags that I hate.
That last PI call was clearly a good call.

The rules don't change suddenly in a SB or at the end of games.

I just want all calls to be made consistently throughout games by lal officiating crews.

There's too much discrepancy from crew to crew, quarter to quarter, team to team, etc ...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So you really think NFL officials are low rent cheats, ok man.

No.. at least not all of them.. I am just not convinced that all of them are pure as the driven snow either. There are a--wipes in every crowd. Refs are no exception.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No.. at least not all of them.. I am just not convinced that all of them are pure as the driven snow either. There are a--wipes in every crowd. Refs are no exception.

I don't think refs really give a damn who wins the games, they are graded on their own performance. The crew who did the Cin/Tenn game found out this season.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Again, I'm not suggesting anything is rigged, just that they could influence games if they wanted to. Because we wouldn't be able to tell.

Ah, so more "could bes." Well, you could embezzle money from your employer or run a child trafficking ring but I'd imagine if folks started accusing you of those things that you'd ask for concrete proof of such for reputation's sake. But that's never available in ref cases here, only people who can apparently see inside their heads and also could have a motive to not accept their team's loss. Refs also "could be" doing the best they can with 7 of them not able to keep up with 11 different matchups while looking for possession, forward progress, and holding exceptions, etc. They almost have to miss some calls at those rates. But if people don't get what they want they just automatically assume the negative.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't think refs really give a damn who wins the games, they are graded on their own performance. The crew who did the Cin/Tenn game found out this season.

I agree that 99% of refs don't care who wins. But nothing is absolute in the human condition except death and taxes. And I guarantee you there are refs out there who hold a grudge because a certain player knocked him to the ground or talked about his mama while protesting a call... I am not willing to accept the narrative that they are somehow exempt from being part of the human race. Even if it's subconscious there is bias in all of us.. period.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ah, so more "could bes." Well, you could embezzle money from your employer or run a child trafficking ring but I'd imagine if folks started accusing you of those things

Ok, this is where I stopped because you're going off the rails. IT"S NOT ILLEGAL TO FIX NFL GAMES! I don't get what people don't understand about this. Don't compare it to stealing. The NFL is sports entertainment. They can do whatever they want. Stop pretending it would be illegal. I'm not saying they are doing it, just that they can if they want. And if you think you're too smart to be fooled, well ok then. It is a hell of a lot easier to fool someone than to get them to believe they have been fooled.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That last PI call was clearly a good call.

The rules don't change suddenly in a SB or at the end of games.

I just want all calls to be made consistently throughout games by lal officiating crews.

There's too much discrepancy from crew to crew, quarter to quarter, team to team, etc ...
Kind of agree. I’m even fine with the discrepancy changing game to game but the Super Bowl almost felt like it changed from the first 55 minutes to the last 5. After all the human element is in play and different crews will call a somewhat different game. No different than any other sport.

the very las pi call I have 0 issue with. You could have not only called that but called it multiple times. It was the 3rd and goal pi (maybe it was actually holding?) that I have issue with. Those are the ones I would rather have a no call than a call. Feels like games get decided more by what’s called than the iffy no calls. It’s just too hard to come back from the phantom holding calls that make it 1st and 20 or the 3rd down could go either way PI call. If it’s not obvious I vote let it go. I miss the 90s-early 2000s brand of football that wasn’t obsessed with fantasy football and teams could actually put a hand on receiver without catching a 15 yard flag.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Who was talking basketball, not me so so far it has been impossible when it comes to the NFL. Way too many people involved to think it could work, it coudn't.
Washington-Cowboys. Cowboys lose because of a false start on the center for moving the ball. Havent seen it called since. Fixing an NFL is not hard at all.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree that 99% of refs don't care who wins. But nothing is absolute in the human condition except death and taxes. And I guarantee you there are refs out there who hold a grudge because a certain player knocked him to the ground or talked about his mama while protesting a call... I am not willing to accept the narrative that they are somehow exempt from being part of the human race. Even if it's subconscious there is bias in all of us.. period.

and the 1 percent end up weeding themselves out. I agree they are human, not perfect and I can't say some ref gets upset with a player may not watch that player closely. What I do not agree with is the notion refs our out to get us, I saw several plays where I felt a flag could have been thrown against the Cowboys but where not and yes calls I felt were ticky tacky fouls that were. But if you ask a lot of fans from all teams they tend to feel the ref cheated them when they lose. I saw it playing from Jr. high into college. It is the ref fault and it is not just the NFL it is all sports where fans complain about the refs when their team loses. Lastly I do agree from watching a lot of games that there are crews who have done games and did an overall poor job not in favor of 1 team over the other but all in all a bad job of calling the game

RaZon

Reaction score

So you think yes we have seen rigged/fixed NFL games because there must be a-wipe refs? Really?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
and the 1 percent end up weeding themselves out. I agree they are human, not perfect and I can't say some ref gets upset with a player may not watch that player closely. What I do not agree with is the notion refs our out to get us, I saw several plays where I felt a flag could have been thrown against the Cowboys but where not and yes calls I felt were ticky tacky fouls that were. But if you ask a lot of fans from all teams they tend to feel the ref cheated them when they lose. I saw it playing from Jr. high into college. It is the ref fault and it is not just the NFL it is all sports where fans complain about the refs when their team loses. Lastly I do agree from watching a lot of games that there are crews who have done games and did an overall poor job not in favor of 1 team over the other but all in all a bad job of calling the game

Now I know you know there are shenanigans taking place at lower levels. I witnessed one in person when I was a junior in high school when we went to a "bowl game" in St. Augustine. We were matched up against a team from Jacksonville.. We were from Orlando.. We lost about three TDs in that game on phantom calls but were still winning 20-19 in the final minutes. All we had to do was run out the clock. We had stopped the other team on a goal line stand and gotten the ball back at our own 1 yard line with only a couple of minutes left. Our plan was to just run QB sneak 3 times and get out of town with the win. On the second QB sneak, a ref throws a flag for holding.. No biggie right.. half the distance.. and a couple more QB sneaks and game over.. Except this ref called it "holding in the end zone" and awarded the other team a safety. Problem was, nobody on our team was ever in the end zone. We confirmed this watching the coaches tape the following week. The QB was under center.. the line all fired out. There was absolutely zero chance anybody held in the end zone. Yet there we were now losing a game 21-20 where we had been getting jobbed all game but still managing to be ahead. We had all suspected since they were the "home team" we were going to get hosed.. but none of us saw that coming. It was blatantly obvious.. on a side note my older brother who was a senior playing the last game he would ever play found that ref after the game and decked him. LOL! I'm still not sure how he didn't get arrested.. Good thing there were not TV cameras or cell phones around back then.

The point of all that is to say, is that if we are willing to accept that "refs are human and are going to make mistakes" why are we then so eager to accept that "refs are human and are going to be biased and hold grudges?" Or even "refs are human and some of them could be compromised?"

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So you think yes we have seen rigged/fixed NFL games because there must be a-wipe refs? Really?

I think the odds that there has never been a rigged NFL game is about the same as the odds that every ref in the history of the league has been 100% honorable.

RaZon

Reaction score
I think the odds that there has never been a rigged NFL game is about the same as the odds that every ref in the history of the league has been 100% honorable.

The statement....THE NFL IS RIGGED....is a lot different than.....odds that there has never been.......wouldn't you agree? Talking as if the whole thing is like pro rasslin;' is what THE NFL IS RIGGED....isn't what you are talking about is it?

Do you believe there is a rigged NFL going on or just maybe in the long history of NFL football we did have a game where some ref made sure a team won? What you are trying to do is show no it's not impossible, right?

The NFL is not rigged or fixed.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Ok, this is where I stopped because you're going off the rails. IT"S NOT ILLEGAL TO FIX NFL GAMES! I don't get what people don't understand about this. Don't compare it to stealing. The NFL is sports entertainment. They can do whatever they want. Stop pretending it would be illegal. I'm not saying they are doing it, just that they can if they want. And if you think you're too smart to be fooled, well ok then. It is a hell of a lot easier to fool someone than to get them to believe they have been fooled.

Doesn't matter if it's a legal thing or accusing someone of a moral failing, my point is tossing out accusations with no proof whatsoever, other than a "it's certainly possible they're lying, cheating bastids" is poor form the same way making wild accusations to damage someone's reputation is, legal matter or not. It's worse still when it's just done as a reflex to not wanting to accept the reality that one's team lost or a person wasn't "kept comfortable" by another's actions. It's the whole reason I rail against the dumb conspiracy talk. It's childish at best and delusional/irresponsible at worst. It's fine for folks to express their opinions but they can't get in a tizzy when asked to back up their accusations with more than just haze. They'd require that if it was done to them. That's my point.

RaZon

Reaction score
The writers are sitting at a table trying to work out the next pay per view rasslin' show, is it time that Roman Reigns drops the title to Seth Rollins or Drew McIntyre, how about Seth vs Drew for the right to go after the belt? Ok, that is rigged, that is fixed, that is not the NFL and never has been and never will be.

Now has some ref ever did anything to make sure a team won a game, doubt it, but that wouldn't be a IT'S RIGGED NFL.

You cannot rig/fix the NFL, that is impossible.