Diggs has to step up his game

RonWashington

Reaction score
But by all means with Brown and Lewis down with major injuries and Dallas trying out out of work CB’s on the street for playoff football by all means ship Diggs off …. :huh:.

Some Posters ?

John813

Reaction score
Yea, that's not going to happen. He's a made man, and about to be highly paid by some team.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Corners are paid to cover, if they can tackle huge plus.
I've liked Diggs and he is a good player. But his coverage is not elite enough to be totally averse to physical contact like we've seen in the latter half of the 2022 season, and then expect be paid like an elite CB when that time comes. Sorry, he's not in Deion's stratosphere, or even close.

Diggs at least seemed to put forth an effort before. Like I've said in other threads, im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say there was an undisclosed injury he was protecting. If that is NOT the case, there's a problem.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The physicality of the 49ers is what “worried” me before the game and I was thinking specifically of Diggs. Frankly, I’m surprised they didn’t attack him more which is what I was expecting.

Corners are paid to cover but they are defenders first. When you have a player that has no taste for the physical aspects of being a defensive player you’re effectively playing defense with 10 men.

JBS

Reaction score
The diggs hate on this board is absolutely asinine. Y’all are lunatics. He’s easily the second best player on this defense and a top 5 player on the team.

benson

Reaction score
Diggs was in position to make two massive game changing plays expected of superstar defensive backs.

He could have made a play while Kittle was juggling the hall over the middle of the field, but chose not to.

He dropped an interception that hit him in the chest.

You can’t botch those plays and expect to be paid like a superstar. He’s an average corner and playing like he did against SF, he’s a liability.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I haven't watched any film to focus on Diggs in the SF game. He must have covered pretty well as we held their weapons in check mostly. Other than the Kittle play, I didn't really see him that much so I can't criticize him in this particular game. But the Kittle play is a very bad play not to even make contact. Stacked on the complete lack of effort to tackle against TB, it's a very concerning pattern.

If you determine that he is going to be a soft, me first player then you absolutely use him while you can and subtly try to move him before he reaches end of his deal.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To me Diggs is a cornerstone with 11 and Bland possibly Sam Williams and Armstrong , younger players you build with . Man picked off 11 passes in a season that’s nothing to blow off .

But this second half 2022 man is possibly protecting an injury that’s not been revealed because while DaRon Bland is getting physical with receivers making it known he’s in the neighborhood Diggs has a vacancy sign on his lawn when it comes to contact . And that interception that clanged off his chest deep in Dallas territory Sunday is not to be believed .

In exit interviews as players leave town I hope Al Harris a physical DB in his own right has a straight talk with Diggs and his play is under scrutiny.
He blew two plays that could have turned around the game in the 2nd half.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Funny thing is...if you are going to make business decisions...the Kittle play is where you do it; not considering game situation...

There was a very good chance Diggs breaks a collar bone being undersized and trying to tackle a TE going full speed head on. Add to it that if he took a more direct angle...he could have been bulldozed by not only Kittle but 300+ pound Gallimore going full speed.

I am not making excuses for the fella. Just saying that the situation was a bad one for an undersized player to be in.

Dallas held Deebo, McCaffery, Ayuko(sp), Mitchell to few yards...so the secondary is doing something good.

I would be curious to see what the experts say on Diggs. Is a couple of business decisions a game digestible if the player is regularly holding the DeMarr Chase' of the NFL to few catches/yards a game? Or do you flip Diggs now that you have Bland playing good and Brown, Lewis, Bossman, Wright and Mukuamu competing for the other starting spot.

Mukuamu seems to play like Donavan Wilson...just out to lay the wood.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Diggs avoids contact like the plague. Never seen a corner make more business decisions than he did the past two games. He had an easy INT him right in the hands and he dropped it against SF. I became more put off with him as the season went on.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Funny thing is...if you are going to make business decisions...the Kittle play is where you do it; not considering game situation...

There was a very good chance Diggs breaks a collar bone being undersized and trying to tackle a TE going full speed head on. Add to it that if he took a more direct angle...he could have been bulldozed by not only Kittle but 300+ pound Gallimore going full speed.

I am not making excuses for the fella. Just saying that the situation was a bad one for an undersized player to be in.

Dallas held Deebo, McCaffery, Ayuko(sp), Mitchell to few yards...so the secondary is doing something good.

I would be curious to see what the experts say on Diggs. Is a couple of business decisions a game digestible if the player is regularly holding the DeMarr Chase' of the NFL to few catches/yards a game? Or do you flip Diggs now that you have Bland playing good and Brown, Lewis, Bossman, Wright and Mukuamu competing for the other starting spot.

Mukuamu seems to play like Donavan Wilson...just out to lay the wood.
It is a good question and I really don't know the answer. I love the way Diggs plays the CB position against the pass. I would hate to give that up for another guy like Brown who cant play the ball.

But then the effort to tackle against the Bucs just limits my enthusiasm for the guy. It's hard!

You can't make business decisions in the playoffs!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I've liked Diggs and he is a good player. But his coverage is not elite enough to be totally averse to physical contact like we've seen in the latter half of the 2022 season, and then expect be paid like an elite CB when that time comes. Sorry, he's not in Deion's stratosphere, or even close.

Diggs at least seemed to put forth an effort before. Like I've said in other threads, im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say there was an undisclosed injury he was protecting. If that is NOT the case, there's a problem.
He has always been soft as a tackle, at times he shows aggression, but mostly avoids contact. Teams has almost abandon throwing at him all together, so I think there is still a lot of worth him as a starter.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Diggs tweeted a couple hours ago, check out the comments he’s receiving. He’s getting roasted. Lol He left Twitter during training camp because of criticism for getting toasted so much and now he’s being ripped for not wanting to hit anyone. He might want to take another Twitter break.

Zman5

Reaction score
Next year is his contract year. I have a feeling his agent told him to avoid injuries as the season was ending. He doesn't want Diggs to get a major injury that could keep him out going into his contract year. He wasn't physical before, but he wasn't' this bad.