Diggs has to step up his game

The Natural

Reaction score
Diggs was in position to make two massive game changing plays expected of superstar defensive backs.

He could have made a play while Kittle was juggling the hall over the middle of the field, but chose not to.

He dropped an interception that hit him in the chest.

You can’t botch those plays and expect to be paid like a superstar. He’s an average corner and playing like he did against SF, he’s a liability.
But if you call this out, its “hate”

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You may want to watch how many of the top paid CBs in the league play. Lot of physicality coming from that group.
What Diggs brings is elite ball skills, which not many possess. He does need to play with more aggression against the run or teams will expose him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
When Kittie is doing a juggling act on a key drive Diggs should have taken a shot and not played matador the ball would have been incomplete , in 90 percent of defenses in the NFL going downfield juggling a pass gets you into a collision with someone other then the wife smiling as you catch the pass .
Knowing Diggs, he probably was trying to get the ball then making the hit or the tackle.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
It is a good question and I really don't know the answer. I love the way Diggs plays the CB position against the pass. I would hate to give that up for another guy like Brown who cant play the ball.

But then the effort to tackle against the Bucs just limits my enthusiasm for the guy. It's hard!

You can't make business decisions in the playoffs!
Yeah...I knew the World just had place Diggs in a situation where his business decisions cause a lot of controversy. I saw it coming. Playoffs, close game...and Diggs makes the business decision that causes the world to trigger.

In a pass happy league...do you want a cover guy or a thumper? Flip cover guy for a guy like Bland that can cover and thump?

Adding 10-15 pounds on Diggs isnt going to fix things. He may still have good instincts but his fluidness will decrease some along with speed.

Without rewatching games or having All-22...word seems to be that Bland is that dude. If thats the case...I want to see what the word on Mukuamu is. He seems fiesty and eager to thump. How are his cover skills? Is he a safety or a corner or both? Can he play corner? Anyway...what I am getting at is...if you have suitors willing to give up good assets for Diggs...do you pull the trigger?

CoachD

Reaction score
To me Diggs is a cornerstone with 11 and Bland possibly Sam Williams and Armstrong , younger players you build with . Man picked off 11 passes in a season that’s nothing to blow off .

But this second half 2022 man is possibly protecting an injury that’s not been revealed because while DaRon Bland is getting physical with receivers making it known he’s in the neighborhood Diggs has a vacancy sign on his lawn when it comes to contact . And that interception that clanged off his chest deep in Dallas territory Sunday is not to be believed .

In exit interviews as players leave town I hope Al Harris a physical DB in his own right has a straight talk with Diggs and his play is under scrutiny.
It is almost impossible to match the season he had last year but believe me the guy is the best corner in Dallas since Deon.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
What Diggs brings is elite ball skills, which not many possess. He does need to play with more aggression against the run or teams will expose him.
He has been exposed. $25M/year CBs (going rate for top CBs) need to be high level cover guys as well as physical at the point of attack. There is no such thing as a shut down corner anymore with the high powered and sophisticated offenses in the NFL. Good OCs will find your weaknesses on defense and exploit them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He has been exposed. $25M/year CBs (going rate for top CBs) need to be high level cover guys as well as physical at the point of attack. There is no such thing as a shut down corner anymore with the high powered and sophisticated offenses in the NFL. Good OCs will find your weaknesses on defense and exploit them.
He hasn't signed an extension and still is improving. By no means a finished product, but the next DC needs to stay on him in that area.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In the biggest game we’ve had in about 20 years he dropped a pick and let up a potential forced fumble hit against Kittle.
It wouldn't have been a fumble, IMO, but maybe an intercepted deflection.

RonWashington

Reaction score
It is almost impossible to match the season he had last year but believe me the guy is the best corner in Dallas since Deon.

I like his play since drafted . Buy these matador plays are absurd . And the INT clanged off his chest Sunday I thought Dez Bryant suited up snuck into the secondary .

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Honestly....if he can be traded for a 1st round pick....I would do it and let someone else pay him 150m.

It's BOLD moves like this that we never make. The Jags traded Ramsey....and Ramsey is better than Diggs.

Micah and Lamb should be the only young players that are untouchable!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I said at the end of last season, the problems Diggs showed were minimized because he had an outlier year for INTs. This season, he had 3 - he wasn't making big highlight plays to distract from his flaws.

Good player, not great. I put him there with the likes of Cromartie. Nose for the ball but he will frustrate us with the plays he gives up.

Mr_437

Reaction score
They move CBs to WR because they don't want to tackle. Extra soft.

conner01

Reaction score
Corners are paid to cover, if they can tackle huge plus.
I expected his ints to drop this year because he learned when to gamble
Last year he gave up a ton of yards but got the picks
Fans seen the picks so he’s a star
This year he didn’t gamble as much so ints go down
Now he’s a bum
Fans

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I agree. It took Diggs 3 seasons to get 17 INT.
Dak did it in 14 games.
He definitely needs to step it up.

Seriously though, if he had blown Kittle up, they would have flagged him for the defenseless receiver rule and it would have been a long penalty and a first down anyway.
I don't think he made a business decision. I honestly think the rules have created an environment where guys are afraid to hit a receiver in that situation. I understand people disagree with me and that's fine but I don't think he was afraid to hit Kittle. In that scenario, Diggs could have killed him. Kittle was the one hung out, Diggs was risking nothing by blowing him up. other than a huge penalty.

On the dropped INT--that ball got tipped at the LOS. That was a bang bang play with a deflected ball. Those are tougher than most people realize to catch at game speed.
it was not a gift wrapped spiral that hit him in the chest like the one that Greenlaw dropped from Dak. I agree he should have caught it, but it was tougher than people think.

75boyz

Reaction score
To me Diggs is a cornerstone with 11 and Bland possibly Sam Williams and Armstrong , younger players you build with . Man picked off 11 passes in a season that’s nothing to blow off .

But this second half 2022 man is possibly protecting an injury that’s not been revealed because while DaRon Bland is getting physical with receivers making it known he’s in the neighborhood Diggs has a vacancy sign on his lawn when it comes to contact . And that interception that clanged off his chest deep in Dallas territory Sunday is not to be believed .

In exit interviews as players leave town I hope Al Harris a physical DB in his own right has a straight talk with Diggs and his play is under scrutiny.
Good post. Agree with all.

doomsday808

Reaction score
Honestly I thought the lack of physicality was a little overblown for a cover corner until that cowardly wiff on Kittles in a playoff game. That was pathetic. Get in the weight room!
I don't understand why this is not talked about more. Diggs always looks like he avoids tackling. On this play, he COULD have tried to knock the ball out of Kittles' hands!! The more I keep watching it, the more I think that would have been an incomplete pass if he did.