Diggs might be the reason we can't stop the run

RonWashington

Reaction score
I not only saw tacking out of the Saints secondary you go to that Lamb TD the secondary player could have had CD if he goes low but he goes for a kill shot whiffed and Lamb sailed into the end zone. I’m hoping Carson develops some Jourdan Lewis attitude

Adreme

Reaction score
When Derrick Henry takes the field, he will have about 3 inches and 50lbs on Diggs. If the gameplan is counting on Diggs to stop that Henry is going to run for 250 yards.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Not what I said at all. Simply suggesting that we should hold our highest paid "superstar" level talent to a higher standard. Did not agree at all with the Diggs contract. Did not agree at all with the Martin extension. I feel like the money could have been much better spent elsewhere. Also feel like our "leaders" are not holding the rest of the team accountable. At the end of the day I believe we are where we are because of them. Hey if you want to show them blind love that is cool good for you I am sure they appreciate it.
if you're saying for the money he makes, he should be better at tackling - maybe.

what are the other CB's in his range and do they tackle? just because he sucks at it doesn't mean its common among others in his pay scale.

regardless - if you say he needs to be better against the run - agreed. if you say he's the reason our run D sucks, disagree.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Surprised how many of you don't consider the CBs to be an important part of stopping the run. The corners for the Saints were looking to destroy our ball carriers and it showed.
Your front 7 are far more important. Running backs aren’t suppose to go untouched and meet the corners.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Your front 7 are far more important. Running backs aren’t suppose to go untouched and meet the corners.
The offensive coordinators around the league are happy that our front office agrees with you and they game plan accordingly. If you don't think that Diggs was targeted and the Saints knew there was an undefended edge then you are in denial.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Alex Gibbs (famous offensive line coach) always said that he wanted to make corners tackle. In one clinic he told high school coaches that corners in the NFL are just as bad at tackling as corners in their game.

^^^that's the inventor of the Shanahan system. If you were curious why Diggs calls it annoying. The system is designed to make diggs the "hitter" tackle.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In the spirit of assigning blame where it actually belongs I believe we should discuss Diggs as it relates to the run game. The Saints had an absolute field day running at this guy and he wanted none of it. He is another one of our 20 million per year players and he is showing the rest of the team what is acceptable. Princess refuses to stick his nose in there but he still wants to take home all the money. I guarantee you this stuff does not play well in the locker room.
Diggs hates to tackle. I still am piissed at him for the niners playoff game, where he had the TE dead to rights in the middle of the field and he ducked under him allowing him to make the catch....

and you are correct, teams have noticed and will run at him. he is a liability on the edge. I bet Duece can block him....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In the spirit of assigning blame where it actually belongs I believe we should discuss Diggs as it relates to the run game. The Saints had an absolute field day running at this guy and he wanted none of it. He is another one of our 20 million per year players and he is showing the rest of the team what is acceptable. Princess refuses to stick his nose in there but he still wants to take home all the money. I guarantee you this stuff does not play well in the locker room.
If your secondary is making tackles, you have bigger problems

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not his fault or even close.

That all said, I would trade him and try to rebuild this defense from the inside out.

I like Diggs, but I’m not sure this scheme is a great fit for his game, and they could shed the salary and get a premium pick. They are far deeper at corner than DL.

It’ll never happen as #7 hangs proudly in the gift shop, but other GMs don’t seem to be shy about being aggressive when it comes to trading players that perform well if it makes them better overall.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
RBs shouldn’t be getting to the 2nd level so easy on this defense. That’s inexcusable. Yeah, Diggs isn’t going to go nuts trying to hard tackle anyone, but I’m not blaming him for the run game issues.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Diggs is horrible against the run. But there is no chance he is the MAIN reason we are struggling to stop the run. It's just not how it works. If he as an outside corner made every single defensive tackle we'd still be giving up too many yards in the run game.

gtb1943

Reaction score
you need to change the completely bogus title of this thread

CowboysRule

Reaction score
If "Princess" sticks his nose in there repeatedly against Kamara we will be down our 2 starting CB's. Also, our DL, LB's and safeties were the problem. Not the CB.
I still say our safeties are absolutely terrible and have been for years.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
maybe its me, but if you need your CB to stop the run, you got some serious issues.
Say "I don't know football" wthout saying it.

Sure, it's the Cornerback's fault that the defensive line is getting blown off the ball and the Linebackers are hopscotching around trying to find a crease. Why isn't the Corner stoppong it?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I still say our safeties are absolutely terrible and have been for years.
They are better in coverage than playing the run. Of course, your LB's, and S's are gonna look pretty bad against the run when the D Line is getting walked back to them.

Proof

Reaction score
Some fans kept talking about how great our defense played in that game when it was only respectable. That play helped break our back. Another play where we couldn’t make a critical stop. In big moments they have players that step up. You never see our players make a play like that in a huge game at a critical moment against a contending team.
the defense played tremendously, and that was a circus play that happened to pay off (and shouldn't have been eligible)

stilltheguru

Reaction score
the defense played tremendously, and that was a circus play that happened to pay off (and shouldn't have been eligible)
They played tremendously? Not 1 turnover but tremendously? Interesting

Proof

Reaction score
While on the topic of matadors in the secondary at safety am I asking too much of Hooker to pick off a bomb every now and then . He got paid now let’s see some turnovers .
for real. he's been nonexistant. hell maybe he NEEDS to start a podcast lol