Disappointment of Demarcus Lawrence

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dlaw is pretty low on my list of players I'm worried about. I think a new scheme/coaching staff that doesnt play DBs 5+ yards off the ball every play will go a long way with helping him. Also if they can get another DT that demands attention it can open things up as well.

Numbers were not there last year, but I still saw a high motor/good play out of him. He just never had that dominant streak where he racks up 5 sacks over 3/4 games like he usually does.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
DeMarcus Lawrence

Contract year 2018:

64 tackles - 10.5 sacks - 23 QB hits - 15 tackles for lost

After contract 2019:

45 tackles - 5 sacks - 16 QB hits - 10 tackles for lost
I think a lot of this had to do with our defense and defensive scheme. suffice it to say the whole unit sucked....and it impacted not just Lawrence, but also Smith. Jones and Chidobe

Silly

Reaction score
I think he improves next season with a better defensive scheme. Hopefully, dallas will look into a real DT that can add some support inside.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was disappointed in his production but I am willing to see him under a different coaching staff before thinking re-signing him was a mistake. There was justification for re-signing him at that time and few to no options in not doing so.

Let's take the entire defense, not just that one player. Did any player perform up to expectations? We had expectations for Lawrence, Woods, Hill, Collins, Vander Esch, Smith and the entire secondary except the evil Jeff Heath, who actually played gutsier and harder than any player on the team.

Now, we're looking at the same situation with the best DB who will demand top 5 money as we did last year with the DE. What are the options?

Is it likely that every player on the D would should show some type of regression? I want to see one DC in charge, one voice and then take a better look at this. I think there is talent there and most of those players are better than what I saw this past season. I don't usually lay it off on coaching but it was the entire D.

I know one thing and it applies to everything we do that requires leadership, we have to believe in the leaders. Marinelli was more concerned about limiting mistakes than utilizing skills and maybe he had good reason but every player has to prove he can play at this level.

This goes back to Parcells excuse for not running the true 3/4 and that BDBD. He stated that the 3/4 is a D dependent on every player winning his one on one battle and he didn't have the players and he never got them.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nope, that's exactly how you evaluate someone at his position. You argument works a little better for a more complex position, like QB.
Um no. There is no position except maybe kicker that can be evaluated by the box score, because the box score doesn't adjust for playcalling and offensive scheme.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
He's one of the 5 best edge defenders in the entire league and looking at box scores is a lazy way of evaluating him.

Interesting how you never seem to think stats matter with virtually any argument someone makes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Richer than you. That's what.

Do Zeke's thread next.

Then Jaylon's.

Then, in a separate thread, crap on Cooper and Dak because they're GONNA get paid.

We get it.

I agree Zeke under performed yet was still 5th overall in rushing, 2nd in total all purpose yards along with 12 TD.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
passive/aggressive much ? Sheesh, all he did was point out one example of what happens with this team.

Richer than you. That's what.

Do Zeke's thread next.

Then Jaylon's.

Then, in a separate thread, crap on Cooper and Dak because they're GONNA get paid.

We get it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I was disappointed in his production but I am willing to see him under a different coaching staff before thinking re-signing him was a mistake.

It's not even so much about that but what people who get all up in arms never stop to realize is this isn't a 1-year deal. By deal's end he may have exceeded any (reasonable) expectations. Same with Zeke. But people want everything consistent or they're "uncomfortable."

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was disappointed in his production but I am willing to see him under a different coaching staff before thinking re-signing him was a mistake. There was justification for re-signing him at that time and few to no options in not doing so.

Let's take the entire defense, not just that one player. Did any player perform up to expectations? We had expectations for Lawrence, Woods, Hill, Collins, Vander Esch, Smith and the entire secondary except the evil Jeff Heath, who actually played gutsier and harder than any player on the team.

Now, we're looking at the same situation with the best DB who will demand top 5 money as we did last year with the DE. What are the options?

Is it likely that every player on the D would should show some type of regression? I want to see one DC in charge, one voice and then take a better look at this. I think there is talent there and most of those players are better than what I saw this past season. I don't usually lay it off on coaching but it was the entire D.

I know one thing and it applies to everything we do that requires leadership, we have to believe in the leaders. Marinelli was more concerned about limiting mistakes than utilizing skills and maybe he had good reason but every player has to prove he can play at this level.

This goes back to Parcells excuse for not running the true 3/4 and that BDBD. He stated that the 3/4 is a D dependent on every player winning his one on one battle and he didn't have the players and he never got them.

If I had to pick 1 player on defense who I was very pleased with it would be Quinn

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Can't say D-Law is anything but great on here, man.

D-Law was very average this year. He abuses terrible linemen and is abused by good linemen.

I mean watching the Pats game (and I do not care if it was in the rain) guy fell down like 15 times. No one else did that. It was an awful, awful performance.

He was stood up and embarrassed by Boston Scott.

Severely disappointed in him and his terrible attitude. Lost a bunch of respect from him after his dumb shenanigans after week 1 with that little kid.

He is a very hard player to root for, mostly because he comes across like an egotistical maniac and does not have the play to match his attitude.

conner01

Reaction score
Playing devils advocate. He did have off season shoulder surgery and I am sure that this impacted his effectiveness. Now, next year is fair game....
I got to think the surgery so late was a factor
So this year is huge