Dixie Flag controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not my argument, but the economy (and even worse, the Fed) have been mismanaged to a point where the repercussions are going to eventually be epically horrific. That's not a political comment, as both parties have to answer for this.

It's almost as if it's a concerted effort to wreck the whole thing just be able to rebuild into some other theoretical utopian ideal (that has never succeeded before) unrelated to what made it the worlds strongest economy for decades.

Again, both sides have fault.

Both sides have fault for sure. The economy has been graded the same way for decades and it's been growing. The bad side of that is that the rich are getting richer and the middle class is disappearing.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The push to ban the confederate flag has been going on for years. Horrible attempt at commenting on this thread.

I didn't attempt to comment, I actually did.
And to expand on it further I say we send all the thin skinned crybabies to Tahiti, either that or give them a plastic bubble to live in. I do hear the weather in Tahiti is wonderful and the breadfruit is mighty tasty.

DFWJC

Reaction score
And to expand on it further I say we send all the thin skinned crybabies to Tahiti, either that or give them a plastic bubble to live in. I do hear the weather in Tahiti is wonderful and the breadfruit is mighty tasty.

Good surf too

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Not biting.

arglebargle

Reaction score
You bet slavery was part of it, but it was as much of a "Don't tell us how to live our lives" by southerners as it was anything else.

That seems to be a part of the 'Lost Cause' excuse. Certainly a number of declarations of secession prominently featured slavery as a reason. Now, to me, It looked like economics. But economics that required the wealthy to view a whole class of humans as chattel. Certainly the historical period showed a strong movement against slavery from the beginning of the 19th century. The USA seems to have been far behind the curve. But, money talks.....

Recent interesting article on the Confederate flag and its historical connection to the pro-slavery position: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/what-this-cruel-war-was-over/396482/

Symbols are often distillations and stand-ins for complex ideas and situations. It's certainly not the case that if this ijit had been waving a copy of the Magna Carta, that there would be a move to expunge government depictions of it. The symbolism there wouldn't have been nearly as pointed and evident.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am impressed with this bunch. If I would have bet on this thread lasting 12 pages......I would have lost everything!

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I am impressed with this bunch. If I would have bet on this thread lasting 12 pages......I would have lost everything!

I agree it is impressive, I guess I underestimated quite a few on this board in terms of having tact.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You brought up the economy. You said it was surging despite increasing welfare rates and high levels of unemployment.

As stated earlier the unemployment rate is 5.5% mow compared to 10.1% 9 years ago. Welfare rates are increasing because the population is increasing.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
you stated you'd have a problem with it, when no one suggested that the government would tell people they can't have them. considering that **** flags are perfectly legal, it's not even reasonable to believe the government would take the action you brought up

So basically your reply was useless considering I never stated the Gov't has made the flag illegal. Thanks for clearing that up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So, boys and girls? Did we learn anything yesterday about the history of the Confederate flag and ACW? I hope this discussion can continue in a civil manner. I think much of that part of American history has been lost to a revisionist agenda that paints a little different picture of the south and it's part in the ACW than what actually happened.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I see no reason why individuals can't continue to fly it, and as far as I know they can.

There is no reason that this flag should be on Government buildings. It's not the flag for the United States of America and it's not, to my knowledge, the state flag for any state. So there is absolutely no reason it should be on a federal/government building.

On a personal note I never understood this weird obsession with needing to have the Confederate Flag anyway. They lost. Get over it. The United States Flag is what is flown because they won. There is no actual southern pride from the confederate flag. I've lived in the area of the United States my whole life where you see people waving this flag, having it on their cars, waving it in their yards, and it rarely ever has anything to do with being proud to be southern. It's overwhelmingly, at least in my 35 years of life experience, the flag flown by rednecks who want to seem like they're edgy and cool and "Government ain't gonna tell me what to do, ya hear!". That most generally is followed by some super insightful remark about how all the problems in this country are due to minorities (Which of course that isn't the way they refer to those people, they have all their super cool and I'm a bad *** words to describe these people).

So again, from my extensive experience in the south it ain't about pride in something worthwhile, and people will never convince me of that in any way shape or form because I've simply seen it for myself that it has nothing to do with that.

Besides southern, northern, eastern, western, midwest, whatever you're in the United States of America.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I see no reason why individuals can't continue to fly it, and as far as I know they can.

There is no reason that this flag should be on Government buildings. It's not the flag for the United States of America and it's not, to my knowledge, the state flag for any state. So there is absolutely no reason it should be on a federal/government building.

On a personal note I never understood this weird obsession with needing to have the Confederate Flag anyway. They lost. Get over it. The United States Flag is what is flown because they won. There is no actual southern pride from the confederate flag. I've lived in the area of the United States my whole life where you see people waving this flag, having it on their cars, waving it in their yards, and it rarely ever has anything to do with being proud to be southern. It's overwhelmingly, at least in my 35 years of life experience, the flag flown by rednecks who want to seem like they're edgy and cool and "Government ain't gonna tell me what to do, ya hear!". That most generally is followed by some super insightful remark about how all the problems in this country are due to minorities (Which of course that isn't the way they refer to those people, they have all their super cool and I'm a bad *** words to describe these people).

So again, from my extensive experience in the south it ain't about pride in something worthwhile, and people will never convince me of that in any way shape or form because I've simply seen it for myself that it has nothing to do with that.

Besides southern, northern, eastern, western, midwest, whatever you're in the United States of America.

You said it yourself... living in the south you see folks waving the confederate flag, having it on cars. in folks yards but you say that's not about southern pride. So tells us... what's that all about?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
You said it yourself... living in the south you see folks waving the confederate flag, having it on cars. in folks yards but you say that's not about southern pride. So tells us... what's that all about?

I mentioned it in the post above what it by and large is about.

Now don't get me wrong I know we're going to have people all over this board come out and say well that in their life time it has been nothing but a symbol pride in the south etc and that's fine. I'm sorry but I simply won't buy into that because I live in the south too, have my whole life, and I've seen with my own eyes what it actually is about, by and large, and it ain't about pride in being from the south, pride in your part of the country, or anything else that people want to try and claim it is.

I'm not saying that to piss anyone off. To each their own on what they believe this flag represents for the people of the South. I'm not trying to change anyone's minds on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.