Dixie Flag controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Did I state that they did?

you stated you'd have a problem with it, when no one suggested that the government would tell people they can't have them. considering that **** flags are perfectly legal, it's not even reasonable to believe the government would take the action you brought up

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So every time something is painful or offensive it should be removed? Where does it end? Even "thug" is now racist.

When?

No, just anything racist. I've never heard anyone say the word "thug" is racist. The confederate flag has long been known to be a symbol of racist hate.

Reaction score
I struggle with topic. Although I never directly viewed the "Confederate" flag as a symbol of slavery, I am sympathetic to others that could. The history of the world is filled with episodes of enslavement. This country and its forefathers were slave owners. Where I struggle....should George Washington, Thomas Jefferson be removed from history books and US currency?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I struggle with topic. Although I never directly viewed the "Confederate" flag as a symbol of slavery, I am sympathetic to others that could. The history of the world is filled with episodes of enslavement. This country and its forefathers were slave owners. Where I struggle....should George Washington, Thomas Jefferson be removed from history books and US currency?

You can find black marks on pretty much any president. Even Lincoln had some faults.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The version we see today is not the original "stars and bars" but actually the battle flag of the northern Virginia Army. Somewhere down the road this version was hijacked by racist groups and wackos giving the flag a bad rap. This is insanity and a dangerous slippery slope. Whats next? Book burnings? For a bit Amazon removed product with any replicas of said flag, certain retailers removed the flag from their inventory and Apple removed all games from their library that were civil war related. What about all of the Army bases named after Confederate officers? Are we going to rename them so no one is offended?

The inmates are running the asylum.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
No, just anything racist. I've never heard anyone say the word "thug" is racist. The confederate flag has long been known to be a symbol of racist hate.

Look around you. They were not allowed to call the nice young misunderstood youths "thugs" because it is the new "n" word. This is what I mean, everything is being made racist.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://i356.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo4/DallasEast1701/General%20Gifs/FLAGMOVIEGIF_zpsjpj0yjkb.gif
On December 27, 1860, Major Robert Anderson evacuated the U.S. force from Fort Moultrie in Charleston Harbor to Fort Sumter, spiking the guns and cutting down the flagpole. “No other flag but the Stars and Stripes shall ever float from that staff,” he said. Early in the morning on April 14, 1861, James Chesnut gave the order for the first shot to be fired at Fort Sumter. When Anderson surrendered, South Carolina’s Governor Francis W. Pickens, who had introduced the Ordinance of Secession, proclaimed, “I can here say to you it is the first time in the history of this country that the stars and stripes have been humbled. That flag has never before been lowered before any nation on this earth. But today it has been humbled, and humbled before the glorious little State of South Carolina.” “Our flag,” recorded Mary Chesnut, “is flying there.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/confederate-flag-south-carolina-history/396695/

_______

I believe the same question, which could be posed of Mrs. Chesnut, can be asked of Americans today.

What is our flag?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So if it offends, remove it? When did most folks get so intolerant to offense? It is an inanimate object that can not hurt you. It only has negative power if that's what you give it. Not everyone sees it as a symbol of racism, why should those folks fold to the will of those that do? Thicker skin and tolerance for differing views is sorely lacking these days. If it were just a case of moving it to a place were it had historical relevance then I see no problem with such action but sadly that is not what is happening. Amazon.com and Ebay has removed it from their inventory and It's image is being band by many other DotCom companies. This is nothing short of white washing history. It is wrong and marks a sad period in our history.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Look around you. They were not allowed to call the nice young misunderstood youths "thugs" because it is the new "n" word. This is what I mean, everything is being made racist.

The flag for people who fought to uphold slavery is clearly higher up on the racist scale than thug

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So if it offends, remove it? When did most folks get so intolerant to offense? It is an inanimate object that can not hurt you. It only has negative power if that's what you give it. Not everyone sees it as a symbol of racism, why should those folks fold to the will of those that do? Thicker skin and tolerance for differing views is sorely lacking these days. If it were just a case of moving it to a place were it had historical relevance then I see no problem with such action but sadly that is not what is happening. Amazon.com and Ebay has removed it from their inventory and It's image is being band by many other DotCom companies. This is nothing short of white washing history. It is wrong and marks a sad period in our history.

So if a state wanted to fly a **** flag, that would be perfectly fine? And again, the major issue is why should the government, either local or federal fly a flag that clearly is offensive to a large percentage of the population.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Two separate issues. We're just talking about the confederate flag. I agree with you about the over hyping of many current issues in regards to race.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who does believe it to be a racist symbol. How would you feel about it? Honestly.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So if a state wanted to fly a **** flag, that would be perfectly fine? And again, the major issue is why should the government, either local or federal fly a flag that clearly is offensive to a large percentage of the population.

There is no need to introduce hypothetical situations into this very real issue. No States wants to fly a **** flag. Surely you can engage in this conversation without making thinks up. You want to equating this flag to a **** flag but that's not a fair or historically accurate analogy. Try again.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
There is no need to introduce hypothetical situations into this very real issue. No States wants to fly a **** flag. Surely you can engage in this conversation without making thinks up. You want to equating this flag to a **** flag but that's not a fair or historically accurate analogy. Try again.

It is relevant because your premise, not to remove something because it offends and I can clearly see it's baffling to you that a state would fly what many think is a racist symbol, but...clearly it's possible.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You can find black marks on pretty much any president. Even Lincoln had some faults.

No doubt...and if we're speaking of racist presidents...well, we've had none more racist--imo-- than right now in 30-40 years.
But I digress.

As for the flag. I see no real issue with the government having it removed from government buildings only. It's divisive--so the government can have a say but just not to non-government entities.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
As for the flag. I see no real issue with the government having it removed from government buildings only. It's divisive--so the government can have a say but just not to non-government entities.

And this is what most people want, confederate flags have no business with the government. If anyone wants to fly one in their back yard, by all means have it.....unless you live in the governor's mansion ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.