News: DMN: Adam Schefter: I think RG3 is gonna be in play for Cowboys

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter joined Cowlishaw and Mosley on KESN-FM 103.3. Here are some highlights.
Do you think the Cowboys are truly open to taking a quarterback at 4?

Adam Schefter: Yeah. I think they're open at four, certainly. You're gonna take the best player. But I also think that they're open to enticing teams that want a quarterback behind them to come up. Stockpile more picks, give them more flexibility. It's a situation where they're just trying to maximize their position, like any team should be. You could say you're interested in a quarterback at four, and maybe you are. And if you're not, maybe you're scaring the 49ers to try to trade up to your spot. You get more picks, you move back and you still get some defensive help at that particular spot. There's a lot of options in play. If the Cowboys stay where they are, they'll probably have a chance to take the second-best quarterback in this draft off the board if that's what they decide to do.

Do you see them as a team that can get right back to where they were in 2014?

Adam Schefter: They're gonna make some moves here. Let's just say you sign RG3 during the offseason, you solidify the quarterback position. You decide to go defense; you get a running back in there. Very quickly you think your team is back to what it was, not this past year, but the year before. I think RG3 is gonna be in play for the Dallas Cowboys. So that would be one quarterback option that might make it easier for you to pass on a quarterback this year. But the bottom line is if there's a quarterback they love, it's hard to pass up solidifying the next 12 years of your franchise by doing that.

Continue reading...

Avg career of a NFL QB; those who can play. Longer for a franchise QB.

RW31

Reaction score
We'd be stupid not to bring him in. He has shown that he can be elite in the right scheme, he's young. Who would you rather have back up Tony? A 3rd string career backup who fits this offense? How did that work out last year with the dozen guys we gave a shot, guys that completely fell on their face in the process?

:facepalm:

Techsass

Reaction score
What would RGiii's cap hit be? I doubt he's going to be cheap. He's also not likely to want a 1 & done type deal.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I'm honestly confused by this whole QB dilemma. Draft? Sign one? And who on both of those choices??Im left without an opinion.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Any QB that is going to be a available in FA is gonna have warts, which is why they are available. Depending on price bring in Griffin would be a good move, he is still young and can be coached the proper way to play QB, while backing up Romo.

Carson

Reaction score
What would RGiii's cap hit be? I doubt he's going to be cheap. He's also not likely to want a 1 & done type deal.

I doubt he signs anywhere long term. I look for him to get a one/two year prove it deal. Then get another pay day after.

I doubt he comes here because he can go elsewhere (Denver, Philly, Houston, Cleveland) and start. If he comes here he is on the bench for another two years.

He can still sit the bench and prove he's worth and cash out at 29. It's really up to Robert though. Does he want to take the route and sit and learn with less money now but maybe a longer career. Or does he want to prove he can be a starter and possibly fall out of the league.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
I don't get that either. RGknee with this scheme?? Lol. Having to let go of a ball expecting the WR to be there?? No way. If I were someone like Zona with an innovative coach like Arians I would give him a shot.

I didn't see nothing wrong with the Washington scheme when Rg3 roasted us on Thanksgiving day. The man has potential to get it done. If we can bring him in on the cheap why not he will be better than what we have at the moment.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Hopefully, Garrett and Linehan won't be trotting out the same offense if Romo would get hurt again. You need to tailor your offense around the players you have. Garrett and Linehan should have a much better plan to deal with injury at the QB. The 2nd string QB offense should be different and they should practice it.

Romo has been saving the offense and covering up the coaches' poor game plans and Garrett's warts. That needs to stop. Garrett and Linehan need a better offense for Romo to run, and one that a 2nd string QB would be able to run just in case.

If they come out with the same old, stale offense again, it will be a disaster even if Romo stays healthy.

Reaction score
Hopefully, Garrett and Linehan won't be trotting out the same offense if Romo would get hurt again. You need to tailor your offense around the players you have. Garrett and Linehan should have a much better plan to deal with injury at the QB. The 2nd string QB offense should be different and they should practice it.

Romo has been saving the offense and covering up the coaches' poor game plans and Garrett's warts. That needs to stop. Garrett and Linehan need a better offense for Romo to run, and one that a 2nd string QB would be able to run just in case.

If they come out with the same old, stale offense again, it will be a disaster even if Romo stays healthy.

I tend to agree with this, but you can't have "two schemes." The other 10 guys need practice reps and there is not enough practice time to install two offenses. But we should be thinking long term about changing the primary scheme anway. We should not avoid singing a talented player just because he does not fit our current scheme. Romo will be gone soon.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Any QB that is going to be a available in FA is gonna have warts, which is why they are available. Depending on price bring in Griffin would be a good move, he is still young and can be coached the proper way to play QB, while backing up Romo.

And with our QB coach Wade Wilson here to coach him up like he always does, how could it possibly fail

fortdick

Reaction score
We'd be stupid not to bring him in. He has shown that he can be elite in the right scheme, he's young. Who would you rather have back up Tony? A 3rd string career backup who fits this offense? How did that work out last year with the dozen guys we gave a shot, guys that completely fell on their face in the process?

:facepalm:

Which scheme was that? I don't remember the Skins being elite at anything lately. Did I miss an entire season?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No RG3, let the blue chip QB play when tony goes down, he'll be fine behind this OL, if our genius offensive coaches can give him a handful of pass plays to fit his strengths. Next year let Tony compete with him for the starting job.

The watch and learn from the bench is radically overrated. You can watch and learn from the film room. You have a kid with arm, accuracy, and head, let him learn the speed of the game in the game. Like Troy did, except we now have a insanely better OL.

Sitting Romo all that time didn't do squat, he learned his best lessons when learned how to play within his limits on the field. By the time he did that, a valuable portion of his career was wasted.

Craig

Reaction score
I didn't see nothing wrong with the Washington scheme when Rg3 roasted us on Thanksgiving day. The man has potential to get it done. If we can bring him in on the cheap why not he will be better than what we have at the moment.

You say "Thanksgiving Day" like it just happened. And he wasn't playing in Dallas' scheme, he was actually playing for the opposition. An offense built entirely on the read option. That same scheme that cause him to miss a massive amount of time by exposing him to injury.

RoboQB

Reaction score
RG3 was a gimmick QB that lost his "shine" once he tore up his knee... Dude abandoned every play if the first read wasn't open... anyone thinking he's
the answer in Dallas loses all credibility whether its a smarky fan, a hack reporter, a studio mouthpiece, or a Dallas Cowboys GM.... uh, scratch that last one...lol