News: DMN: Adam Schefter: I think RG3 is gonna be in play for Cowboys

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You will not find a capable QB who can run the offense at a high level the way it is built. Nobody can just step in and do what Tony does because he runs the offense, the entire thing. It's not the scheme, it's the calls he makes, the coverages he sees, the audibles he makes, all that is him. You can't find a QB no matter how good he is in the pocket, that can mimic that. So I rather have a QB who can be great at something different, instead of these garbage pocket passers. At least with RG3 you have a chance to win games and you have a chance to possibly go very far if he feels comfortable in the offense. You don't have that with anybody else, any of those pocket passer options that "fit this offense".

I agree that you can't run out and find a QB who can do what Tony can do. Those QBs are starters and starting elsewhere. However, you can't bring in somebody who requires every else to adjust. Especially if it's for a short period of time. That won't work and it's not smart. I disagree with you 100%, it is not just the calls Tony makes. It is the scheme. What Tony does, he does well but Tony can't do everything. Tony's skills are limited and the offense we put around him is tailored to his skills. For example, Tony could not run a timing offense. He doesn't have the arm. This is what I'm talking about. For RG3 to work, we would have to run a completely different offense. Everything changes but when you build a team, you should be drafting players that fit the type of scheme you intend to run. Very few players can play in every scheme and those guys are both expensive and hard to find. You can't just change everything to accommodate the backup. You have to have a guy who can, at least, execute the offense you are built for. Now, you can call a different set of plays that play to the strength of what your backup QB can do but you can not just complete run a different Offense. That doesn't work.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
What are you talking about? 90% of the offenses aren't customized towards a specific QB. You can just plug anybody in there and get them to run the offense. The only 2-3 exceptions are the Cowboys, Patriots and maybe the Steelers. You can't find guys to replace Romo, Brady or Big Ben. They run the entire thing.

Agree to certain extent. Both Pats and Steelers were still able to win even when Brady or Rothlesberger were out.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I am just ready for FA and the draft to be over with so we can see what they are doing in some of these areas. I'm particularly interested in what they're going to do with the QB position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schefter shows that he's out of the loop in Dallas if he's still bringing up RGIII and the Cowboys.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Hopefully, Garrett and Linehan won't be trotting out the same offense if Romo would get hurt again. You need to tailor your offense around the players you have. Garrett and Linehan should have a much better plan to deal with injury at the QB. The 2nd string QB offense should be different and they should practice it.

Romo has been saving the offense and covering up the coaches' poor game plans and Garrett's warts. That needs to stop. Garrett and Linehan need a better offense for Romo to run, and one that a 2nd string QB would be able to run just in case.

If they come out with the same old, stale offense again, it will be a disaster even if Romo stays healthy.

This is the problem I have/see with the Offense. Even with our back-ups last year the Offense should have been better than what it was.

dfense

Reaction score
We'd be stupid not to bring him in. He has shown that he can be elite in the right scheme, he's young. Who would you rather have back up Tony? A 3rd string career backup who fits this offense? How did that work out last year with the dozen guys we gave a shot, guys that completely fell on their face in the process?

:facepalm:

When I saw the word Elite and RGIII in the same post, I stopped reading.

There is a great article about how Washington had RG read half the field then run because it's the best they could get him to do. In other words, he's a stupid.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Nah I need to keep you around so I can give you hell once the season starts and Romo makes you look like a big dummy. Gonna enjoy watching you backpedal like a corner back. Hell maybe we'll even be able to sign you to a contract :muttley:

Nah I need to keep you around so I can give you hell once the season starts and Romo makes you look like a big dummy. Gonna enjoy watching you backpedal like a corner back. Hell maybe we'll even be able to sign you to a contract :muttley:

This is just your way of saying you really do want to see my posts

uUu9hwp.png

Frozen700

Reaction score
He's made this one hell of a fun team to watch over the last decade, and he is not done yet. He will be sorely missed when he is gone.

i mean, I don't like mid/late round draft picks.

I want rings. Championships.

Not to be excited, only to get my high blown at the end of the season

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What are you talking about? 90% of the offenses aren't customized towards a specific QB. You can just plug anybody in there and get them to run the offense. The only 2-3 exceptions are the Cowboys, Patriots and maybe the Steelers. You can't find guys to replace Romo, Brady or Big Ben. They run the entire thing.

That's not true. Any team that loses its elite QB is going to struggle. The Cowboys struggled mire than others because their backups weren't worth a damn and their defense couldn't create any turnovers.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Him or McCoy. Those are my top 2 now that JFF has gone looney tunes.
McCoy at the Texas hoops game with Witten and Romo. Lock it in.

Team ambassadors talking to players when owners cant. No collusion here just good recruiting. Get it done jerry.

RW31

Reaction score
That's not true. Any team that loses its elite QB is going to struggle. The Cowboys struggled mire than others because their backups weren't worth a damn and their defense couldn't create any turnovers.
That's not the case. Look, just giving you an example. Our offense/scheme is basically like a blank piece of paper. Your QB is being asked to paint a beautiful picture. Romo is an artist, he does that. Now you hand the same blank piece to any other backup and they'll give you some 3rd grade smiley face crap, they can't paint. That's what this offense/scheme is like. You're banking on getting a QB who fits this offense when really NOBODY does. The offense will have to be adjusted regardless of who you bring in, because nobody can do what Tony does for us. So with that in mind why would you settle for a backup that "fits this offense"? Who would that be anyway? We've had a handful of those that "fit this offense" last year and they all were whining about how they couldn't run this offense because Romo is basically being asked to improvise and run the offense by himself? So knowing that why would you bring in another backup who can't play but might fit this offense? Is every slow, white QB a fit in this offense? Is that the criteria? Because they all suck. They can't play. RG3 showed he can play, he can be elite. And since the offense has to be adjusted ANYWAY, no matter who you bring in, why not go with RG3 instead? At least he gives you a chance to win a lot of games, at least he has a chance to excel. I take those odds. You don't replace a star QB with a nobody who can't play just because he's a traditional dropback passer.

And face it, we can have more than 2 QBs on the roster. Adding RG3 doesn't mean he'll be Tony's main backup, it doesn't mean he'll play for Tony this year. We can still get that Cassell type QB that so many of you are looking for, a guy that "fits this offense" as a 3rd QB or even as a top backupthis year. People act like signing RG3 means he's gonna be the guy from day 1, I look at it as adding a young talent who might turn out to be a really good starter if you believe in him, if you help him, like they do in college with redshirt years. We can get that guy for free. Why not give it a shot. You don't have to play him this year unless he's ready to do it. And don't tell me he's worse than Cassell or Moore or Weeden or any of those bums. He can't possibly be any worse. If he's not ready let the other guy play. But I still want him around to maybe have a guy that can take over for Romo in 2-3 years. Instead of having nobody.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well tell me what Romo has done. Besides pretty stats, what has he done? I'm all ears/eyes bro

Be one of the most productive players in the entire league at the most difficult position in professional sports?

Pretty stats? lol. I can't even begin to tell you how incredibly off-base you are on Tony Romo, Frozen. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, and that's fine, but we're way past the point where we ought to be seriously debating whether or not Tony Romo is a talented QB. That question was answered emphatically years ago. If you don't get it, you're not ever going to.

Now, his injury questions are another matter. I don't buy that he's done because of a collar bone break, either, but between that and the back injuries, at least you have an argument there that it's possible.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don't get that either. RGknee with this scheme?? Lol. Having to let go of a ball expecting the WR to be there?? No way. If I were someone like Zona with an innovative coach like Arians I would give him a shot.

Putting time, energy and money on RGIII coming to Dallas would be a waste. He doesn't fit the scheme here and Garrett will not modify his offense just for him.

If Kyle Shanahan was our off coordinator and had free reigns on what to do than I can see why. But with Garrett calling the shots RGIII will be nothing more than a waste of space.