DMN: Aikman on Pacman's Return: 'An absolute mistake'

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
One "absolute mistake" was letting Troy Acheman play well beyond the time he should have quit playing. Yet, Jerra let Troy's ego prevent the Cowboys getting on with their QB future.

Yes, Quincy, Ryan Leaf, Bledsoe and a few other 'mistakes' tried out, but my point is that Troy needn't have said it without thinking back to his "mistake" years.

Pacman may yet strike out -- agin -- but it's jerra's money and jerra's team and he's allowed to get every last ounce of talent for his money that he can get, be it Troy, Quincy or PacMan.

RW31

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2442331 said:
Why is it that Troy never spoke out against Leon Lett coming back to the Cowboys? :huh: Or Michael Irvin?
Because:
"So there really isn't anything he did as a player that warranted another chance by the oraganzaztion or at least maybe taking another risk on him."

You cant compare a backup corner to a hall of fame receiver.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442515 said:
As I said the media reported that but Aikman said it was not true, because media prints something does not make it fact.

And neither does you saying you "heard him say it" make it true either. I have never heard this claim from Aikman.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
David Lafleur gets a bad rap. Who knows what kind of player he'd have eventually been if it weren't for his back. He wasn't a bad pick in terms of his ability, and he was never supposed to be the receiver that Tony Gonzalez was.

Take anything in the Dallasnews article re: how Dallas had the TEs in that draft ranked with a grain of salt. TG was universally regarded the best TE in that class, and we never had a chance at him. I believe I recall Troy saying as much after that draft.

RE: Pacman Jones, Troy's issues are will the damage that guy does to the team more than with his play on the field. And, where facts don't lie, they do only tell you what you ask. There's no data available on whether or not Pac had his responsibility really covered when a QB didn't throw at him. Given the problems we had early in the year at CB it's entirely possible there was more than one player open on those plays and offenses were taking advantage of our inexperience. When they did throw at him, he was pretty good.

To my eyes, Pacman played ok when he was in. He had a few chances to make big plays where he was a half-second too late, and he missed some big tackles. But you got the sense that big plays were coming. Early on, it wasn't hard finding holes in our secondary. Now, the pass rush is better and with Newman back and Scandrick playing well, it will be interesting to see how much of an impact Pacman might make.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I imagine the kind of competitor Aikman was/is, he wouldn't want a Pacman on his team...I understand that.

I think his take on Pacman's utility is wrong, however...We've seen that the stats alone don't reflect his ineffectiveness as a DB...Plus, if indeed there's going to be more press and man to man coverage that clearly works in Pac's favor too.

The return game, well, hard to disagree with Troy on that...But, the positive is that Pac has it in him to be a better returner which is a lot better than what can be said about the crop of returners currently at Jerry's disposal

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I thought Pacman was starting to put it together; hopefully he can pick up where he left off and send Henry to the bench.

I do find it ironic though that a poster or two now find defensive statistics relevant when they themselves had been very quick to dismiss them in the past.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Ozzu;2442338 said:
Wow. He couldn't be more wrong about Pacman's play. He was pretty damn good out there and was getting better all the time. He wasn't perfect, but him along with a healthy Newman will be quite the duo.

Right there is what I want to see. The two of them healthy come playoff time and we could be causing some normally passing teams resorted to running it more than they're used to.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442462 said:
Troy did not pick Laflure that is the biggest misnomer out there. He was brought in by Jerry to throw passes to LaFlure during his visit prior to the draft. He did not suggest the selection of LaFlure nor did he lobby for LaFlure

Doomsday101;2442494 said:
Troy himself when asked about DL being selected said he had nothing to do with it, he was asked to come in and throw passes to him during DL visit that was it. Some in the media made more of that then there was.

Doomsday101;2442515 said:
As I said the media reported that but Aikman said it was not true, because media prints something does not make it fact. Yes he went out and worked with DL he did not make the selection nor did he push for the selection. That according to what I heard Troy say. If you think other wise well that is fine, but I think Troy would know better of what his real involvement was in the process
That's all well and good, but links will go farther here than the courage of your convictions.

There is also such a thing as revisionist history, and members of the media (which Troy now is) are not above it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2442605 said:
One "absolute mistake" was letting Troy Acheman play well beyond the time he should have quit playing. Yet, Jerra let Troy's ego prevent the Cowboys getting on with their QB future.

Yes, Quincy, Ryan Leaf, Bledsoe and a few other 'mistakes' tried out, but my point is that Troy needn't have said it without thinking back to his "mistake" years.

Pacman may yet strike out -- agin -- but it's jerra's money and jerra's team and he's allowed to get every last ounce of talent for his money that he can get, be it Troy, Quincy or PacMan.

Wow. Troy's extended years?? What do they have to do with ThugMan??

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
khiladi;2442377 said:
The amusing thing is, if Pac-man actually caught the 3 or so INTs in his hands because of his aggressive nature, I would wonder what these folks would be saying then...

But he didn't so big deal.

superpunk

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2442654 said:
I thought Pacman was starting to put it together; hopefully he can pick up where he left off and send Henry to the bench.

I do find it ironic though that a poster or two now find defensive statistics relevant when they themselves had been very quick to dismiss them in the past.
El-oh-freaking-el. For real.

When those same outlets were used as proof that Roy Williams wasn't playing as poorly as many thought, a certain poster degraded them and tossed them aside. Now that they support that certain poster's position regarding Adam Jones, they're the gospel according to Joyner.

Hilarious.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Not sure what the big deal is here. Pacman stays clean, we have a nice DB, he screws up, he's done in the NFL. If that isn't clear as saran wrap, I don't know what is. Dallas is in a no lose situation, they already have their draft pick back and if he screws up, no loss. If he does what he needs to do, it's a big plus. I just don't understand why people get their underoos hung up over this guy.

It's all on Pacman, he knows what the conditions are. He can either prove everyone wrong, or he can sink into the mudhole, most think will happen.

I personally think he's going to be a better person, but that is my opinion, everyone has one.

2much2soon

Reaction score
superpunk;2442697 said:

When those same outlets were used as proof that Roy Williams wasn't playing as poorly as many thought, a certain poster degraded them and tossed them aside. Now that they support that certain poster's position regarding Adam Jones, they're the gospel according to Joyner.

Hilarious.

Stats aside, I must of missed all those highlights of some TE running past Pacman to catch a TD followed by him shaking his head and pointing at the closest teammate in sight.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dallas did not choose David Lafleur over Tony Gonzales. Some people act as if Aikman endorsing Dallas drafting Lafleur at #22 is the same as Aikman thinking that Lafleur was better than Gonzales. Kansas City drafted Gonzales at #13 in that draft. It would have taken a big trade to move up from #22 to #13 or above depending on when they thought Gonzales would end up being drafted.

I didn't think Lafleur was worth drafting at the time it happened. Hindsight agrees with me. Still that doesn't change the fact that Dallas had little chance at Tony Gonzales that draft. If they don't draft Lafleur, Gonzales still would not have been a Cowboy. It was not an either/or situation.

As far as Pacman, he played a solid corner for Dallas, but not outstanding. He was terrible as a return man. Is that enough to warrant bringing him back? In Aikman's opinion it is not. In many people's opinion it is not. I don't think it will hurt Dallas to bring him back. I also don't think it will hurt Dallas to cut him right now, either. Pacman is not being brought back to be an immediate starter, a major contributor or some sort of savior. It is a low risk thing right now. Forget about reward. It is just low risk at this point. If he does flame out it is no different than churning the bottom of the roster.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
superpunk;2442697 said:

Hilarious.

.......and the people of Dallas are fat.