DMN Blog: Campo at the Ranch

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage;1930922 said:
I don't honestly believe you think Jerry is the fault for Emmitt Thomas not being available.

I was poking fun.....

:bow:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
windward;1930923 said:
someone's funny bone is broken, I think.

I really like your mock draft, in particular rounds 1-3.

The rest, I don't know much about those players....

wileedog

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1930773 said:
I don't know which is more surreal ... briniging back a braintrust that turned the Cowboys into a punchline, or that people are giving a standing ovation while it's happening.

Well, for whatever reason it ain't popular, but I'm with you IR.

I have no desire to see one of the main architects of 15-33 on the sidelines again, even in a vastly reduced role. You can't tell me there is not one secondary coach anywhere that doesn't come in with the baggage, history, and pre-set ceiling that Campo does.

Campo may be ok in that role, but seriously there isn't anyone else that didn't already fail miserably in another capacity here?

I also think the lack of leadership and heart that haunts this team is largely inherited from his time here. I just don't see a good reason to put him anywhere near this team again, other than Jerry finding his 'comfort' zone.

There are plenty of other successful secondary coaches in the league, plenty more we could cull from the college ranks. Why do we need this one?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Vintage;1930928 said:
I really like your mock draft, in particular rounds 1-3.

The rest, I don't know much about those players....
Rubin is your prototypical 3-4 NT and eventual replacement for Fergy

Smith, I like his moxie for some reason and I want to draft a young QB.

I like Jamie Silva's ball skills a lot.

and I've been on the Kevin Robinson bandwagon since I saw this in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhuadMZdEfM

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1930832 said:
:hammer:

it's just the typical board idiots getting their rocks off

I don't agree with this. A GM can do that. In the case of a HC and his coaching staff, it can happen. I know the people I can work with. I know the people I can count on to hang in with me when the crap is flying 5 feet off the ground. I know who I can depend on. If I have to work with people I can't depend on, how can I be expected to put it out there the way you have to in order to be your best?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1930550 said:
And yet no one knows if that is the case. It has been speculated but that is about it. It was also speculated that BP and Jerry could never work together that was pretty much false as well. This is a great time for Jerry's critics because you don't need to prove anything rumor is good enough. Not saying that you believe these rumors.

So Mosley just put it in his blog just to throw the Cowboy fans off?

Why isn't he making a bigger deal about it than the one entry?

Wouldn't a sensationalist liar with an axe to grind keep harping on it?

No, he stated his two sources and left it at that.

There was nothing sensational about it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;1931000 said:

Not that it matters, but he did mention it in again his chat last week. He hasn't really ignored it, just that that little thing called the super bowl has gotten in the way. It might be a bigger story if all these changes had occurred during any other time frame.

The interesting point that I find with the Mosley blog is that none of the local papers picked it up and ran with it. Not discounting nor disputing Mosley, just that I wonder why they didn't pick it up and address it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1931054 said:
Not that it matters, but he did mention it in again his chat last week. He hasn't really ignored it, just that that little thing called the super bowl has gotten in the way. It might be a bigger story if all these changes had occurred during any other time frame.

The interesting point that I find with the Mosley blog is that none of the local papers picked it up and ran with it. Not discounting nor disputing Mosley, just that I wonder why they didn't pick it up and address it.

Its something the FWST writers would be all over. It is a bit odd. Kinda makes you wonder what those sources are cause its obvious noone in Dallas has them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander;1931000 said:

Unnamed sources if you or anyone else wants to jump on a rumor then be my guest. Campo came in and interviewed with Wade Phillips and Wade I believe will have an input. So please believe everything and anything you want but last time I checked the media has made many claims that end up being nothing more than gossip and rumors and you people buy it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Boy, if this thread is any indication of the crap we're going to have to read the next year or two, I can't wait for the future. :rolleyes:

It's so obvious now that certain people were just waiting for this organization to fail or even show any signs of cracking to come out of the woodwork and want a cookie for how smart they were with their projections of doomnation -- but with the great season we had they just never got a chance until now. I laugh at those people.

Look, not everyone is like Parcells. Not everyone has to have things their exact way or they freak out and throw a fit. Wade obviously has the belief that there is more than just one coach out there who can do a good job. The truth is, there are plenty of good coaches out there, and if you have a flexible personality to work with different people -- like he does -- then any one of a few candidates can do the job well.

Wade wanted Emmitt Thomas, but he couldn't get him. He may have wanted Dennis Thurman, but he wasn't available either. The truth is that the new league policy of stopping assistant coach movement through the creation of phony titles has put a real crimp on every team in the league, not just us. So every team is having to deal with being denied permission to bring in their first choice. We aren't the only one.

Dave Campo has been a good, respected secondary coach in the league, and I'm sure Wade is fine with him. What the hell is the big deal? What we should be focusing on is not Jerry "forcing" good coaches on Phillips, but whether we have actually improved our coaching staff with these recent hires. I'd love for the Chicken Littles to provide some factual basis to claim that Todd Grantham, Hudson Houck, and Dave Campo are truly inferior coaches to Kacy Rodgers, Tony Sparano, and Todd Bowles.

But do you think we'll see that? We all know that won't happen.

Meanwhile, the ignore feature here is a beautiful thing. I encourage more people to try it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
superpunk;1930811 said:
So other than the fact that it "feels" like Jerry is doing Jerry things (as in bad Jerry things), and the very word "Campo" has terrible connotations, there's really nothing to suggest that Jerry is regressing. The draft will tell us alot regarding that. If we get crazy, I might sway to anti-Jerry sentiment. If we continue the smart course that we took last offseason, when Jerry operated without the strong hand of Bill Parcells, then I think people need to step away from their Jerry ledge for awhile, and enjoy their efforts to put a champion on the field.

"Feel" is apparently the problem with this team, because the team has way too much talent to continue to choke in the playoffs. We spoke of it a couple of weeks ago .. maybe the best thing to do is just let Flozell, Roy and Greg Ellis walk, just to exercise the stench of loser that has permeated the mental makeup of this franchise for the last decade. Last year Jerry brought back Lacewell in a limited capacity. This year he's bringing back Campo. This is the opposite of removing the stench, its unloading a sun baked dumptruck full dirty diapers filled with spicy curried baby-poo at the front door. I'm with wileedog ... I just refuse to believe there isn't another secondary coach in the NFL that can't fill the job that doesn't carry the baggage that Campo does here.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Chocolate Lab;1931377 said:
I'd love for the Chicken Littles to provide some factual basis to claim that Todd Grantham, Hudson Houck, and Dave Campo are truly inferior coaches to Kacy Rodgers, Tony Sparano, and Todd Bowles.

hscrick.jpg

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1931420 said:
"Feel" is apparently the problem with this team, because the team has way too much talent to continue to choke in the playoffs. We spoke of it a couple of weeks ago .. maybe the best thing to do is just let Flozell, Roy and Greg Ellis walk, just to exercise the stench of loser that has permeated the mental makeup of this franchise for the last decade. Last year Jerry brought back Lacewell in a limited capacity. This year he's bringing back Campo. This is the opposite of removing the stench of loser of the dark days, its unloading a dumptruck of dirty diapers filled with spicy curried baby-poo at the front door.

Inman I could not have said it any better. You hit it right on the nose...

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1931420 said:
"Feel" is apparently the problem with this team, because the team has way too much talent to continue to choke in the playoffs. We spoke of it a couple of weeks ago .. maybe the best thing to do is just let Flozell, Roy and Greg Ellis walk, just to exercise the stench of loser that has permeated the mental makeup of this franchise for the last decade. Last year Jerry brought back Lacewell in a limited capacity. This year he's bringing back Campo. This is the opposite of removing the stench, its unloading a sun baked dumptruck full dirty diapers filled with spicy curried baby-poo at the front door. I'm with wileedog ... I just refuse to believe there isn't another secondary coach in the NFL that can't fill the job that doesn't carry the baggage that Campo does here.

Campo was also part of a rather illustrious time. His time here wasn't all 5-11, 5-11, 5-11 - And it's not like he's being brought back as head coach. (Or even brought back at all...it's just been an interview...with only Wade, no less)

Consider Chris Palmer. Coach of the Browns. Won 5 games in 2 seasons. Coach for the Texans, helped develop the great Tim Couch and David Carr with those two franchises. Definitely a loser's stench about him. Then he comes here, jets to New York, suddenly he's on a super bowl challenger. I think the symbolism of Campo being here is far less horrifying than we imagine.

We need guys with fire in their belly. As a position coach, I think Campo qualifies. No matter how gross he makes us feel.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'd love for the Chicken Littles to provide some factual basis to claim that Todd Grantham, Hudson Houck, and Dave Campo are truly inferior coaches to Kacy Rodgers, Tony Sparano, and Todd Bowles.
I didn't condemn the Houck hiring. I like the potential of Capers. We can't do anything about the coaches that left. We can only fill them with the best people we can, and I just refuse to believe that there isn't another talented and bright secondary coach in the NFL that doesn't carry the baggage that Dave Campo does here.

This was your gut reaction post when you first heard the news..

It's not that Campo is a bad DB coach, but come on.

So now that it appears inevitable you've talked yourself into it? How's the Kool Aid tasting?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Boy, if this thread is any indication of the crap we're going to have to read the next year or two, I can't wait for the future. :rolleyes:

It's so obvious now that certain people were just waiting for this organization to fail or even show any signs of cracking to come out of the woodwork and want a cookie for how smart they were with their projections of doomnation -- but with the great season we had they just never got a chance until now. I laugh at those people.

Look, not everyone is like Parcells. Not everyone has to have things their exact way or they freak out and throw a fit. Wade obviously has the belief that there is more than just one coach out there who can do a good job. The truth is, there are plenty of good coaches out there, and if you have a flexible personality to work with different people -- like he does -- then any one of a few candidates can do the job well.

Wade wanted Emmitt Thomas, but he couldn't get him. He may have wanted Dennis Thurman, but he wasn't available either. The truth is that the new league policy of stopping assistant coach movement through the creation of phony titles has put a real crimp on every team in the league, not just us. So every team is having to deal with being denied permission to bring in their first choice. We aren't the only one.

Dave Campo has been a good, respected secondary coach in the league, and I'm sure Wade is fine with him. What the hell is the big deal? What we should be focusing on is not Jerry "forcing" good coaches on Phillips, but whether we have actually improved our coaching staff with these recent hires. I'd love for the Chicken Littles to provide some factual basis to claim that Todd Grantham, Hudson Houck, and Dave Campo are truly inferior coaches to Kacy Rodgers, Tony Sparano, and Todd Bowles.

But do you think we'll see that? We all know that won't happen.

Meanwhile, the ignore feature here is a beautiful thing. I encourage more people to try it.

CL is my hero