DMN Blog: Campo at the Ranch

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1931438 said:
Campo was also part of a rather illustrious time. His time here wasn't all 5-11, 5-11, 5-11 - And it's not like he's being brought back as head coach. (Or even brought back at all...it's just been an interview...with only Wade, no less)

Consider Chris Palmer. Coach of the Browns. Won 5 games in 2 seasons. Coach for the Texans, helped develop the great Tim Couch and David Carr with those two franchises. Definitely a loser's stench about him. Then he comes here, jets to New York, suddenly he's on a super bowl challenger. I think the symbolism of Campo being here is far less horrifying than we imagine.

We need guys with fire in their belly. As a position coach, I think Campo qualifies. No matter how gross he makes us feel.

I'm torn

who becomes my hero, you or CL? choices

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1931444 said:
I didn't condemn the Houck hiring. We can't do anything about the coaches that left. We can only fill them with the best people we can, and I just refuse to believe that there isn't another talented and bright secondary coach in the NFL that doesn't carry the baggage that Dave Campo does here.

This was your gut reaction post when you first heard the news..

So now that it appears inevitable you've talked yourself into it? How's the Kool Aid tasting?

he probably flash-backed to '01, then after sitting and thinking about it logically, came to the conclusion that, "hey, he's maybe coming back to coach the secondary"

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
superpunk;1931438 said:
Campo was also part of a rather illustrious time. His time here wasn't all 5-11, 5-11, 5-11 - And it's not like he's being brought back as head coach. (Or even brought back at all...it's just been an interview...with only Wade, no less)

Of course he only interviewed with Wade ... it's not like Jerry doesn't know Campo or that Campo doesn't know his way around Valley Ranch. I'm sure the entire purpose of Campo coming here was Jerry saying "You boys get to know each other and play nice and I'll be back from AZ next week to finalize everything."

Campo might be a perfectly fine secondary coach somewhere else, he comes with baggage here. Your best friends ex might make a perfectly good girlfriend for someone else, but for you she's your best friend's ex. There's a reason why this kind of thing is almost unprecedented in the NFL.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1931458 said:
Of course he only interviewed with Wade ... it's not like Jerry doesn't know Campo or that Campo doesn't know Valley Ranch. I'm sure the entire purpose of Campo coming here was Jerry saying "You boys get to know each other and play nice and I'll be back from AZ next week to finalize everything."

Campo might be a perfectly fine secondary coach somewhere else, he comes with baggage here. Your best friends ex might make a perfectly good girlfriend for someone else, but for you she's your best friend's ex.

I said it yesterday, Jerry brain-washed the whole staff because Campo met w/ Houck, Garrett, Stewart and Phillips

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1931444 said:
I didn't condemn the Houck hiring.

So you weren't posting about Mosley's claim about Solari being Wade's choice and how Jerry had overruled him?

Sorry, I guess I had you confused with someone else.

This was your gut reaction post when you first heard the news..

So now that it appears inevitable you've talked yourself into it? How's the Kool Aid tasting?

Saying, "Come on :eek:: " is quite different from ranting in post after post about how we're sliding on a diaper-filled truck of disaster to the bad 'ol days.

I'd rather have Mel Philips, from what little I admittedly know about it. Yes, I admit that. But that doesn't mean Campo is a bad coach or a bad choice, which is all I care about.

And you should know that I've complained about various aspects of the team ever since I found the innerwebs. This just isn't one I find worthy of complaining about. If next year Wade really is stabbed in the back and Garrett becomes HC with Campo and Co. all back in place, then I'll complain plenty.

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1931458 said:
Of course he only interviewed with Wade ... it's not like Jerry doesn't know Campo or that Campo doesn't know Valley Ranch. I'm sure the entire purpose of Campo coming here was Jerry saying "You boys get to know each other and play nice and I'll be back from AZ next week to finalize everything."

Campo might be a perfectly fine secondary coach somewhere else, he comes with baggage here. Your best friends ex might make a perfectly good girlfriend for someone else, but for you she's your best friend's ex. There's a reason why this kind of thing is almost unprecedented in the NFL.

For a better analogy (because applying yours, Campo would have to be interviewing for the HC position), I'd say this is like you having this fantastic mechanic working for you, good at what he does. After a while, you promote him to shop manager - only he's too lenient and ill-suited for the job. Productivity goes down, and so you part ways. Two years later he comes back and applies for a job as a mechanic, which you already know he's great at. Is it far-fetched to give him that job?

This kind of move would be a far bigger deal to fans, who can't stand seeing Dave Campo, than to the organization, I think. There's a reason we applaud the Houck hire while bashing the Campo interview, even though both were part of the same dark chapter in Cowboys history. They're both Cowboys retreads - and both good position coaches. Your (and my subconscious) angst about Campo has less to do with his merits as a secondary coach, and more to do with "Ugh...is that Dave Campo?"

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1931479 said:
stealth is amazing

thanks SP I appreciate that.
About your sig, I took some time off here and was wondering if that was the only call the league mentioned?

superpunk

Reaction score
stealth;1931501 said:
thanks SP I appreciate that.
About your sig, I took some time off here and was wondering if that was the only call the league mentioned?

That's the only one that Jerry acknowledged that the league mentioned. They wouldn't have mentioned the bogus personal foul, because that's the refs judgment call. The ref just showed poor judgment.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
superpunk;1931508 said:
That's the only one that Jerry acknowledged that the league mentioned. They wouldn't have mentioned the bogus personal foul, because that's the refs judgment call. The ref just showed poor judgment.

They should have mentioned the offsides call on Ware ..... thats the one that bothered me the most.

khiladi

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1931420 said:
"Feel" is apparently the problem with this team, because the team has way too much talent to continue to choke in the playoffs. We spoke of it a couple of weeks ago .. maybe the best thing to do is just let Flozell, Roy and Greg Ellis walk, just to exercise the stench of loser that has permeated the mental makeup of this franchise for the last decade. Last year Jerry brought back Lacewell in a limited capacity. This year he's bringing back Campo. This is the opposite of removing the stench, its unloading a sun baked dumptruck full dirty diapers filled with spicy curried baby-poo at the front door. I'm with wileedog ... I just refuse to believe there isn't another secondary coach in the NFL that can't fill the job that doesn't carry the baggage that Campo does here.

I would dispute the notion that we have way too much talent. That whole argument is predicated on defending the term of Parcells. We have a few all-pro talents that are from the Parcells tenure, but we also have a bunch of average talent, the likes of Akin Ayodele, Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones. It was our LBs that teams consistently exposed on 3rd and long, because they just couldn't get deep enough. Wade played soft-zone and not only were our LBs out of position, the great Jacques Reeves was as well. No amount of scheming by Wade could cover it up. And this despite the face, we wasted a number one draft pick in Bobby Carpenter the year before.

Maybe the passive, scared-not-to-lose mentality of Parcells also contribuuted to the high-lighted problem...

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1931420 said:
"Feel" is apparently the problem with this team, because the team has way too much talent to continue to choke in the playoffs. We spoke of it a couple of weeks ago .. maybe the best thing to do is just let Flozell, Roy and Greg Ellis walk, just to exercise the stench of loser that has permeated the mental makeup of this franchise for the last decade. Last year Jerry brought back Lacewell in a limited capacity. This year he's bringing back Campo. This is the opposite of removing the stench, its unloading a sun baked dumptruck full dirty diapers filled with spicy curried baby-poo at the front door. I'm with wileedog ... I just refuse to believe there isn't another secondary coach in the NFL that can't fill the job that doesn't carry the baggage that Campo does here.

no maybe about it, Flo, Roy & Greg "i got a raise while faking injury" Ellis need to be CUT GONE BUH-BYE.

Jerruh needs to STOP renegotiating/extending MID-SEASON (romo, ratlif, bigmouthcrayton, etc.). This dummy is handing out xmas bonuses in august

stupid and compulsive behaviour

wileedog

Reaction score
superpunk;1931479 said:
For a better analogy (because applying yours, Campo would have to be interviewing for the HC position), I'd say this is like you having this fantastic mechanic working for you, good at what he does. After a while, you promote him to shop manager - only he's too lenient and ill-suited for the job. Productivity goes down, and so you part ways. Two years later he comes back and applies for a job as a mechanic, which you already know he's great at. Is it far-fetched to give him that job?

Your analogy is too simplistic.

Did producivity and employee morale remain much lower than average for years even after he left? Did other team 'leaders' in the mechanic pool fail to work hard, always gripe about salary, continually fail to meet crucial customer deadlines even after he left as manager?

Do you really want him back in the shop continuing to reinforce his 'lenient' tendencies among the rest of the mechanics? Especially when their really is no shortage of good 'mechanics' in the league or talented guys looking for a chance from the college ranks?

Campo may or may not be good, but he's no HOFer. He doesn't have the reputation or the track record of Houck. There weren't 10 other teams beating down Jax's door to get this guy in. There really isn't any other direction we could go except this?

superpunk

Reaction score
wileedog;1931683 said:
Your analogy is too simplistic.

My analogy is fine. You just wanted to toss in everything that went wrong under Campo. He was fine at one job - he sucked once he got promoted. He was fired. Now we're bringing him back to do his old job - the one he was fine at. It's pretty straightforward.

Campo may or may not be good, but he's no HOFer. There weren't 10 other teams beating down Jax's door to get this guy in. There really isn't any other direction we could go except this?
Have you not been paying attention to our efforts to speak with other coaches, but being denied access? Emmitt Thomas, Dennis Thurman...there's not just great secondary coaches floating around all over the place. We tried other options - and failed. As a secondary coach, Campo is not a bad option.

wileedog

Reaction score
superpunk;1931686 said:
My analogy is fine. You just wanted to toss in everything that went wrong under Campo. He was fine at one job - he sucked once he got promoted. He was fired. Now we're bringing him back to do his old job - the one he was fine at. It's pretty straightforward.
He was the head coach. Why wouldn't a large majority of things that went wrong be under Campo?

Why wouldn't the terrible attitude of our current veteran 'leadership', which was largely cultivated on his watch, be on him?

Have you not been paying attention to our efforts to speak with other coaches, but being denied access? Emmitt Thomas, Dennis Thurman...there's not just great secondary coaches floating around all over the place. We tried other options - and failed. As a secondary coach, Campo is not a bad option.

I'm paying attention, that's two coaches, both of whom were under contract and were blocked. We found that one under contract who wasn't. Hmm.

Everybody laughed their *** off when Al Davis promoted a nobody from college to HC, and he did a pretty respectable job in that situation despite the looniness of that team.

We really can't be bothered to see if we can find a secondary coach of all things from the college ranks that could do well without being Dave Campo? We couldn't expand the talent search just a little, we had to rush Almighty Dave in before the Superbowl is even played?

superpunk

Reaction score
wileedog;1931703 said:
He was the head coach. Why wouldn't a large majority of things that went wrong be under Campo?

Why wouldn't the terrible attitude of our current veteran 'leadership', which was largely cultivated on his watch, be on him?

I didn't say it wasn't.

We're also not hiring him back as head coach. That is the point. There is a job Campo does well - that's the job we're hiring him for.

I'm paying attention, that's two coaches, both of whom were under contract and were blocked. We found that one under contract who wasn't. Hmm.

Everybody laughed their *** off when Al Davis promoted a nobody from college to HC, and he did a pretty respectable job in that situation despite the looniness of that team.

We really can't be bothered to see if we can find a secondary coach of all things from the college ranks that could do well without being Dave Campo? We couldn't expand the talent search just a little, we had to rush Almighty Dave in before the Superbowl is even played?

Wade thinks he's a good coach - wants to work with him, I guess.He was option 3 on the list of babysitters for our secondary.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
wileedog;1931703 said:

Who are you talking about?

You think Campo is to blame for the supposed bad attitudes of Ellis, Flo, and Roy?

Almighty Dave... Yep, a lot of people are calling him that. :rolleyes:

I'd turn your question around and ask why we should take a flier on some inexperienced kid from the college ranks when a proven good NFL secondary coach is available? Just so we don't have to hear poodle jokes? Is it really smart to get a worse coach just for the sake of finding someone who hasn't coached here before?

wileedog

Reaction score
superpunk;1931709 said:
I didn't say it wasn't.

We're also not hiring him back as head coach. That is the point. There is a job Campo does well - that's the job we're hiring him for.
He's part of the coaching staff. His leadership attributes - or lack thereof - matter. Even middle management has an effect on the team.

Even if its only the secondary that gets to go to Sea World now.

Wade thinks he's a good coach - wants to work with him, I guess.He was option 3 on the list of babysitters for our secondary.

Well if Mr. Everything is Fine 13-3 says so, who am I to argue?

For perspective, I'm not saying this is the end of the world and the team is doomed. I'm just worried it may indicate a certain laziness and return to old patterns I would rather not see.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
superpunk;1931709 said:

We don't know that for sure. According to Breer...

According to a source, the Cowboys have plucked Dave Campo to their new secondary coach.
The Cowboys were resolute in getting Campo on board, as the Jaguars initially turned down a Dallas request to speak with their assistant head coach. But a second shot at it got the Cowboys the permission they needed, and Campo will return to Valley Ranch.

We don't know who was the real Plan A, Plan B or Plan C between Campo, Thomas and Thurman.

wileedog

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1931712 said:
Who are you talking about?

You think Campo is to blame for the supposed bad attitudes of Ellis, Flo, and Roy?
You think they were just born that way then?

I'd turn your question around and ask why we should take a flier on some inexperienced kid from the college ranks when a proven good NFL secondary coach is available? Just so we don't have to hear poodle jokes? Is it really smart to get a worse coach just for the sake of finding someone who hasn't coached here before?

Why do you trade veterans for draft picks?

Upside.

I don't prescribe to the theory that because he presided over an extremely talented secondary over a decade ago that he is anything special as a coach. He's proven he is no more than a secondary coach and never will be, and perhaps he is a slightly above average journeyman at that.

Why settle for the known mediocre when you can put a young guy with upside in place there and then couple him with a proven vet like Capers to help him along?

And even form a sheer PR perspective, why put the very Poster Child that symbolized the absolute rock bottom of a decade of failure back on the team in any capacity?