DMN Blog: Campo at the Ranch

superpunk

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1930822 said:
This GM undermining the HC's authority is total nonsense. Last time I checked, the GM is above the HC on the authority scale. You can't undermine someone's authority when you're already above him.
Actually, that's basically how it's done. When the person on top of you "cuts your legs off" rendering you powerless, they've undermined you.

Not that that's what's happening...

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1930832 said:
:hammer:

it's just the typical board idiots getting their rocks off, they thrive on the mere appearance of discord

Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got.....

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We are well aware of what you got rolling around in your head.

(I was teasing)

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
superpunk;1930829 said:
He didn't hire Norv.

We performed admirably in the draft last season. Getting a good pass rushing player, and an extra first rounder.

We signed two free agents who made the pro bowl.

Things are working out fine, so far. The results on the field haven't met expectations, but I don't fault administration for that. That's the coaches and players fault, with a little help from some refs who didn't understand the rule book.

If we had hired Norv, I'd have lost my mind. So far, Jerry's given me nothing to complain about, aside from the fact that the sight of Dave Campo makes me physically ill, and he might be interviewing with Phillips (not Jerry) for a positional coaching job.
I would not have been thrilled with Turner either.

Campo doesn't make me physically ill, though. He was ill-suited for the HC position, but it was not for lack of effort. I can't hate a guy for that.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1930832 said:
:hammer:

it's just the typical board idiots getting their rocks off, they thrive on the mere appearance of discord

Yep. Didn't think it was possible but you do make ES posters sound intelligent.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Bach;1930843 said:
Yep. Didn't think it was possible but you do make ES posters sound intelligent.
You complain about Bob namecalling yet you feel free to sling insults left and right.

Odd.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1930825 said:
Oh, so maybe a coach would actually go with one of "Jerry's guys" when he couldn't get anyone of "his own guys". So why can't this be the case now? Wade going with Campo (who has a pretty darn good rep as a db coach) when "his guy" wasn't available.(Emmit Thomas)

It seems some think that Bill never gave in to Jerry, but Wade is getting walked all over by Jerry.

that certainly could be the case. Wade may like campo, alot.

As I said before all of this talk is based on speculation.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I doubt most really know the working of an NFL front office, not surprised really since they know little of anything else *COUGH* forum punch-line *COUGH* Bach *COUGH*

but head coaches just don't go to the GM and owner and say, "I want, him, him and him to be my assistants", and they go, "ok, you're the HC"

hell no, that's why no owners give out dual HC/GM jobs to anyone anymore, and most of the guys who did, have had them stripped away, Mike Holmgren anyone? yeah, HCs get to give their input as to who they would like added to the staff, but GMs and owners don't acquiesce to the demands all hilly-nilly, it's a concerted effort

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1930837 said:
We are well aware of what you got rolling around in your head.

(I was teasing)

Don't worry. I took it in stride.

Actually, when I saw it the first time (without the teasing part) I thought you were referring to my drunken-posting from Saturday night/Sunday morning when I upset many here by blaming Romo for the playoff loss.

I probably thought it was funny to blame Romo.

Actually....I have no idea what I was thinking. I kinda blacked out that night.

I suspect very little thinking went into that post other than I was/am still upset at the playoff loss.....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
windward;1930848 said:
You complain about Bob namecalling yet you feel free to sling insults left and right.

Odd.

I'm so right though, look at Bach lapping it up, this is the most attention he's gotten, ever

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1930856 said:
I'm so right though, look at Bach lapping it up, this is the most attention he's gotten, ever

I think we need to discuss Boley some more.

This seems an appropriate time and place to do so.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1930853 said:
I doubt most really know the working of an NFL front office, not surprised really since they know little of anything else *COUGH* forum punch-line *COUGH* Bach *COUGH*

but head coaches just don't go to the GM and owner and say, "I want, him, him and him to be my assistants", and they go, "ok, you're the HC"

hell no, that's why no owners give out dual HC/GM jobs to anyone anymore, and most of the guys who did, have had them stripped away, Mike Holmgren anyone? yeah, HCs get to give their input as to who they would like added to the staff, but GMs and owners don't acquiesce to the demands all hilly-nilly, it's a concerted effort

So most GM's don't allow the HC to hire his own assistants?

The reason most HC's aren't GM's has nothing to do with the coaching staff. It's about player personnel. Not all HC's are capable of giving enough time to coaching and evaluating college players and those around the league.

I think there's a better reason why most owners aren't GM's though. Just because you made a lot of money in your perspective field doesn't mean you know football. Case in points, Snyder and Jerry.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1930856 said:

I think there's a reason you have an "L" on your forehead. You are most deserving.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;1930863 said:
So most GM's don't allow the HC to hire his own assistants?

no, I said owners and GMs work WITH the HC in getting a staff put together

Bach said:
The reason most HC's aren't GM's has nothing to do with the coaching staff. It's about player personnel. Not all HC's are capable of giving enough time to coaching and evaluating college players and those around the league.

part of the GM job description is shaping the front office, which includes coaches

Bach said:
I think there's a better reason why most owners aren't GM's though. Just because you made a lot of money in your perspective field doesn't mean you know football. Case in points, Snyder and Jerry.

Snyder, yes, Jerry, no, he's not as ridiculous anymore, and he did a heck of a job this last offseason, he's learned alot, I'm ok w/ Jerry the GM as long as he keeps referring to smarter football guys than himself, and seriously taking into consideration what they are telling him

for example, I seriously doubt Jerry is going to set aside all of Hudson Houck's Oline suggestions in the trash bin

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;1930868 said:
I think there's a reason you have an "L" on your forehead. You are most deserving.

actually, it's Pat Crayton who has a L on his forehead

noice try though