DMN Blog: Campo at the Ranch

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Woods;1930427 said:
Again, all I'm saying is that JJ has evolved as a GM. I think he has improved.

I think he got desperate after three straight 5-11 seasons and bringing BP here was his way of sort of waving the white flag and allowing someone else to try and fix the mess. I think BP did a good (but not great) job and turned us around giving us 3 winning seasons in 4 years and leaving behind a solid foundation.

But, right after Bill left last year, Jerry made a comment to the effect that Bills way didn't work. It sounded pretty much like he was saying he relented and gave in but it didn't work out so now he's back to being large and in charge again.

The hiring of assistants, included an OC before we had a HC, just shows Jerry is back and wants total control. It's obviously his right to do what he wants with the team. But that resulted in total failure the last time. Hopefully he won't find out the hard way again.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Rack;1930456 said:
Wow that's actually pretty impressive. Now I really am wondering why the Jags would let him go.

He's better than I initially thought.

I'd still rather have Dennis Thurman though.
The Jags hired Donnie Henderson to coach the secondary. The plan may have been to promote Campo to DC in addition to asst HC.

With the sudden availability of Gregg Williams on the market and Dave Campo's stated desire to move back to Dallas, (He has family here and it's where his youngest children grew up) it makes a little more sense to me.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1930460 said:
Where is all this Wade was circumvented by Jones on Solari thing coming from?

Someone please tell me that its not just some blurb that Phillips likes Solari or the fact that Hos has talked about him recently.
It appeared in one blurb by Matt Mosely. It's basically mere speculation at this point and I imagine it will continue to be so.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Double Trouble;1930448 said:
I'd go further than that. Jimmy had his contract on TV and held it up, claiming it gave him full control over personnel.

Regardless, it's becoming increasingly obvious that the old Jerry is back. I don't see a single voice at VR to challenge him now. Certainly not Wade or Ciskowski.

Given the hiring of Houck when Wade wanted Solari, and that Dave Campo is coming back, I don't see how anyone can make a credible case otherwise. It's sad to see this organization slipping back into the embarrassment of the 98-02 era.

This is non sense. Campo is coming back or may be coming back as a secondary coach the same position he had when Jimmy Johnson was head coach. Jerry has not changed a damn thing and BP was never in a position to tell the Owner/GM Jerry Jones what to do. BP worked for Jerry not the other way around. Changes that took place in scouting and talent that was brought in was done so because Jerry changed the structure not BP.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;1930448 said:
Given the hiring of Houck when Wade wanted Solari, and that Dave Campo is coming back, I don't see how anyone can make a credible case otherwise. It's sad to see this organization slipping back into the embarrassment of the 98-02 era.

It was bad enough that it got to that point in the first place.

I can't believe he'd be so egotistical to let it happen again, but the signs are definitely there.

ddh33

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1930460 said:
Where is all this Wade was circumvented by Jones on Solari thing coming from?

Someone please tell me that its not just some blurb that Phillips likes Solari or the fact that Hos has talked about him recently.

If you find an answer, let me know. I saw it in print several times, but that's all.

I guess I always had trouble believing that Wade would come out and tell anyone who he wanted and didn't get. It does him as much harm as anyone, and he has nothing to gain. Weird story to me, and one that I don't think I buy.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Bach;1930468 said:
I think he got desperate after three straight 5-11 seasons and bringing BP here was his way of sort of waving the white flag and allowing someone else to try and fix the mess. I think BP did a good (but not great) job and turned us around giving us 3 winning seasons in 4 years and leaving behind a solid foundation.

But, right after Bill left last year, Jerry made a comment to the effect that Bills way didn't work. It sounded pretty much like he was saying he relented and gave in but it didn't work out so now he's back to being large and in charge again.

The hiring of assistants, included an OC before we had a HC, just shows Jerry is back and wants total control. It's obviously his right to do what he wants with the team. But that resulted in total failure the last time. Hopefully he won't find out the hard way again.
Or there could be a middle ground of sorts with Jerry culling what ever organizational principles he learned from Parcells that Jones feels is effective.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Bach;1930468 said:

The 2004 draft got us two probowlers. That was with Jerry in total control. Not to mention that this past offseason he landed us another two probowlers in free agency.

Its far too early to say how Spencer/Marten/Free/Stanback pan out.

I still cannot believe people are still hung up on the Scifres et al picks from over a decade ago.

Im just glad i dont live in Dallas and listen to Galloway etc cause I have an idea thats where a lot of this comes from. I ignore all the FWST 'reporters' and I seem to be a much happier Cowboys fan because of it.

Woods

Reaction score
windward;1930471 said:
The Jags hired Donnie Henderson to coach the secondary. The plan may have been to promote Campo to DC in addition to asst HC.

With the sudden availability of Gregg Williams on the market and Dave Campo's stated desire to move back to Dallas, (He has family here and it's where his youngest children grew up) it makes a little more sense to me.

I think that's correct.

I was just reading the Jacksonville Jags message board (yes, there is one), and basically it appears that Campo wanted to be promoted to DC, but it didn't work out and the Jags are interviewing G Williams instead for that job instead.

Plus, Campo was making about $1mm/year, and for a team in a "small market", that money (plus more) could be used to lure G Williams instead.

I guess it probably made more sense for Campo to return to family and try to make a move to the Cowboys.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1930475 said:
This is non sense. Campo is coming back or may be coming back as a secondary coach the same position he had when Jimmy Johnson was head coach. Jerry has not changed a damn thing and BP was never in a position to tell the Owner/GM Jerry Jones what to do. BP worked for Jerry not the other way around. Changes that took place in scouting and talent that was brought in was done so because Jerry changed the structure not BP.

And what fantasy world do you live in?

I give Jerry credit for finally relenting and bringing in Bill and allowing Bill enough power to make changes to the scouting system and an increased role in personnel. But these changes were brought about by Bill.

That's the only time this organization has ever had any success, when Jerry surrounded himself with good football men and listened to them.

Right now, he's back to hiring the staff for the HC again. And who in personnel is here that Jerry respects enough to actually fully listen to? Don't forget, Ciskowski was here throughout the entire fiasco of the late 90's to early '00's.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
ddh33;1930480 said:
If you find an answer, let me know. I saw it in print several times, but that's all.

I guess I always had trouble believing that Wade would come out and tell anyone who he wanted and didn't get. It does him as much harm as anyone, and he has nothing to gain. Weird story to me, and one that I don't think I buy.

Its being bandied about as fact and I did a search and found nothing. I figured something as 'big' as that would merit its own thread.

Nada.

Ive checked all the major news outlets.

Nada.

I actually am curious as to where it came from.

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Jerry is a buissness man. Not a football man.

Robery Kraft is a buissness man. Not a football man.

Now, look at the year 2000 and on. This team has been brutal aside from 2 years, and hasn't won a playoff game in over 10 years with Jerry as GM.

Kraft hired Belichick, made him GM and look now. The Patriots are going down as the greatest franchiese in the NFL and are about to win 4 Superbowls in 8 years.

Jerry, dont go the way of Al Davis. Hire your own GM.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Bach;1930486 said:
And what fantasy world do you live in?

I give Jerry credit for finally relenting and bringing in Bill and allowing Bill enough power to make changes to the scouting system and an increased role in personnel. But these changes were brought about by Bill.

That's the only time this organization has ever had any success, when Jerry surrounded himself with good football men and listened to them.

Right now, he's back to hiring the staff for the HC again. And who in personnel is here that Jerry respects enough to actually fully listen to? Don't forget, Ciskowski was here throughout the entire fiasco of the late 90's to early '00's.

So let me get this straight.

The Parcells years were a success but this last season wasnt?

This last season of success was all Parcells but Parcells first and best season was all Parcells too?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Cowboys have some hires to make

January 23, 2008 10:57 AM

As we expected, new Dolphins coach Tony Sparano hired three Cowboys defensive coaches Tuesday. Todd Bowles will serve as the Cowfins' assistant head coach-secondary, Paul Pasqualoni takes over as defensive coordinator and Kacy Rodgers will coach the defensive line.

"Tony and I have worked together for five years," said Rodgers, "and it was hard for me to tell him no. I loved working for Wade Phillips, but Bill [Parcells] brought me into this league, and I'm excited about working with him again."

I'm told that Cowboys coach Wade Phillips wants to hire Emmitt Thomas as his secondary coach. Thomas, the former Chiefs great, has coached the defensive backs in Atlanta for six consecutive seasons and was named interim head coach when Bobby Petrino fled to Arkansas. Thomas has served as a defensive coordinator in Philadelphia, Green Bay and Minnesota. He and Phillips worked together in Atlanta.

Chargers outside linebackers coach John Pagano is a leading candidate to replace Pasqualoni. He's been with San Diego since 2002 and he's also worked under Phillips.

One other nugget that will interest Cowboys fans: I've been told by two different sources that Phillips wanted to hire former Chiefs offensive coordinator Mike Solari to coach the offensive line, but was trumped by owner Jerry Jones, who opted for Hudson Houck

This is the only reference I could find to the Solari rumor.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1930491 said:
So let me get this straight.

The Parcells years were a success but this last season wasnt?

This last season of success was all Parcells but Parcells first and best season was all Parcells too?
Can't you see that it's nice to have a double standard?

That way they can never be wrong.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
windward;1930492 said:
Cowboys have some hires to make

January 23, 2008 10:57 AM

As we expected, new Dolphins coach Tony Sparano hired three Cowboys defensive coaches Tuesday. Todd Bowles will serve as the Cowfins' assistant head coach-secondary, Paul Pasqualoni takes over as defensive coordinator and Kacy Rodgers will coach the defensive line.

"Tony and I have worked together for five years," said Rodgers, "and it was hard for me to tell him no. I loved working for Wade Phillips, but Bill [Parcells] brought me into this league, and I'm excited about working with him again."

I'm told that Cowboys coach Wade Phillips wants to hire Emmitt Thomas as his secondary coach. Thomas, the former Chiefs great, has coached the defensive backs in Atlanta for six consecutive seasons and was named interim head coach when Bobby Petrino fled to Arkansas. Thomas has served as a defensive coordinator in Philadelphia, Green Bay and Minnesota. He and Phillips worked together in Atlanta.

Chargers outside linebackers coach John Pagano is a leading candidate to replace Pasqualoni. He's been with San Diego since 2002 and he's also worked under Phillips.

One other nugget that will interest Cowboys fans: I've been told by two different sources that Phillips wanted to hire former Chiefs offensive coordinator Mike Solari to coach the offensive line, but was trumped by owner Jerry Jones, who opted for Hudson Houck

This is the only reference I could find to the Solari rumor.

Is that the DMN blog? And where is Garrett in all this?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
InmanRoshi;1930398 said:
Didn't Haley pretty much call Campo a coward and a joke in his autobiography?

Haley said he hated Jimmy Johnson and wanted to kill him when he rejoined the 49'rs as well.

Woods

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1930496 said:
Is that the DMN blog? And where is Garrett in all this?

Well, it's in a newspaper and in ink, and the story is confirmed by 2 sources according to the journalist, so it must be true. :D