DMN Blog on Roy

cowboys1

Reaction score
guys why do we see how bad roy is and every year hes starting for us and getting to the probowl. but jerry wade and stewart don't get how much he really hurts our defense. im sick of seeing him in a cowboys jersey, any hope that he is gone next year?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
cowboys1;1925794 said:
guys why do we see how bad roy is and every year hes starting for us and getting to the probowl. but jerry wade and stewart don't get how much he really hurts our defense. im sick of seeing him in a cowboys jersey, any hope that he is gone next year?
nope, if he sucks again next season he will be gone for the 2009 season

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Rampage;1925796 said:
nope, if he sucks again next season he will be gone for the 2009 season

So we run the risk of getting graphically violated in the middle of the field next year and missing out on a playoff win yet again. NICE... :( There's so much to look forward to. :eek:hno:

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
diehard2231;1925338 said:
part of the problem is they never drafted anyone to push him at the SS position,he has always been protected. He probably believes changing his number back to 38 will bring the fire back,I doubt it myself.

Honesty, I think we've been too busy searching for a Free Safety to worry about cometition at Strong Safety. With Hamlin, this year is "finally" starting to shed some light on the problem at SS.

Good thing we have a Pro-Bowl player in Roy :laugh2:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1924862 said:
Plus, didn't he lose about 25 lbs. in the span of a few weeks by doing some radical detox crash diet? As soon as you go back to your regular lifestyle and diet that weight is going to come right back on. I think one of the reasons he takes bad angles is his mind thinks he can take a certain angle, but his body simply can't get there. I've said it before, it looks like he's running with concrete shoes on.

This is exactly what is happening. It happens to us all with time. It should not be happening to Roy but when you don't work hard enough you will look bad on the field. Roy has the talent. If he will rededicate himself he has a chance.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
has anyone freaking seen this guys house !?!?!?!? look it up on the internet he wsa on MTV cribs this season. you can probably find "highlights" or something on their website , to lazy to get a link. and dont want to see 20000 pictures of hannah montana or something.

he has a huge saltwater aquarium he freakin swims in! a custom rolls royce his house looks like some persian palace. i wouldnt care that much about football if i lived their either. He can pull ladys like nothing with that. if he isnt gay. which ive been questioning the past 2 years as the man-ly-ness has left his voice.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1925804 said:
So we run the risk of getting graphically violated in the middle of the field next year and missing out on a playoff win yet again. NICE... :( There's so much to look forward to. :eek:hno:
if he still sucks we could win a playoff game. but if he does still suck all i want is a playoff win cause i know we will never win a superbowl with him on our team. if the old roy comes back(which i still have a tiny bit of hope but doubt it will happen) than maybe. but with the way roy played this past season we will never win a superbowl with him on our team. so i'm just not getting my hopes up high unless he gets cut,traded, or is riding the bench for whatever reason that may be.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Roy was stung very badly with the reduced playing time. If he doesn't respond to this then he will play his way off the field. As I said before, they have to pay him but they don't have to play him. If he takes up a roster spot without contributing this year I will be royally pissed.

dfense

Reaction score
Woods;1924840 said:
I'm probably stating the obvious, but with some work RW can get in better shape and spend more time in the film room/with coaches to improve his recognition of plays. And, he can work on his tackling, of course.

It's really up to him to want to continue to improve his game.

Personally, I think he will re-dedicate himself. Maybe that's one of the reasons he wants to change his uniform number? He knows he can do better.

Anyway, I'm holding out hope for 1 more season.
I already tried that holding out for a season thing. I loved the guy for a couple of seasons but, he's lost it. There was a time Roy could off set his coverage problems with aggressive tackling. When was the last time Roy even hit someone? I saw him get run over in the Giants game a couple times. He doesn't play like he used to. Weather it's age or whatever. Teams look at him as the first target to attack on the defense. His play has done nothing but decline since Parcell's first year. JAG

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
abersonc;1925769 said:
do he look like his heart is in the game?

the only thing I've seen much passion from Roy about recently is hold grudges with reporters who say he sucks.

Jacques Reeves has been absolutely awful. Now has he been awful because he has absolutely no passion and interest in the game or is it because of a lack of talent or some other hidden quality that cannot be ascertained with the naked eye?

My contention is that Roy Williams' play could have disgressed for many other reasons besides "lacking heart for the game of football".

AbeBeta

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1926051 said:
Jacques Reeves has been absolutely awful. Now has he been awful because he has absolutely no passion and interest in the game or is it because of a lack of talent or some other hidden quality that cannot be ascertained with the naked eye?

My contention is that Roy Williams' play could have disgressed for many other reasons besides "lacking heart for the game of football".

Sure -- but Roy is an extraordinary talent whereas Reeves is a JAG 7th round pick.

What other explanation is there for the poor reads and bad angles?

I don't want it to be true but it sure looks true

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
Roy has never had a good safety next to him to free him up to do his thing. Wait until we get a pro-bowl caliber FS. Oh wait....nevermind....:cool:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
abersonc;1926071 said:
Sure -- but Roy is an extraordinary talent whereas Reeves is a JAG 7th round pick.

What other explanation is there for the poor reads and bad angles?

I don't want it to be true but it sure looks true

It very well could be and like you, I hope this isn't the case.

I don't think Roy Williams cut his teeth and acquired his reputation primarily because of his ability to recognize offensive schemes and being a paragon of proper technique.

Roy Williams was known for his instincts, violent collisions and the ability to make plays near the line of scrimmage.

There are several plausible reasons why his play has digressed. Due to the evolution of the game, offenses have developed a strong penchant for exposing the opposition's weaknesses and Tight Ends are probably as good as they have ever been. I wouldn't be suprised if a very cogent argument could be made that we are experiencing a Golden Era at the Tight End position. Of which, the latter only spells trouble for individuas such as Roy Williams.

As stated earlier, Roy Williams' name became synonomous and quite legendary for his extremely violent hits. At some point those hits start to take a very strong toll on anyone's body and this could very well be happening to Roy Williams.

Last, it is a well known fact that the NFL is cracking down on the so called Horse Collar. This sometimes catastrophic technique has long been a staple in Roy Williams' arsenal. With the rule change, you not only take away a player's weapon but you also take away quite of bit of his instincts due to the fear of fines.

I think it is quite a leap to attribute Roy Williams' digression to "lacking heart".

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
This is the best solution to our problem at SS.
Notice I said SS not Roy Williams. This isn't personal, its strickly business.

Trading or releasing Roy is difficult do to the cap hit but not imposible.

First step is bring in a low priced veteran free agent early in FA.

Second step is sit down with Roy and explain that his play is not on par with what we need as an orginization to meet our goals. Let him know that we intend to spend a draft pick on a SS. That he, the FA and the Rookie will be in open competition this summer for the starters spot.
Lay out a workout regimen for Roy to follow and set his playing weight at 215lbs. If he follows the regimen and makes weight, he enters training camp #1 on the depth chart, if he doesnt he wont.

Third step is draft a safety on the second day.

Fourth step is let the best man win the job.

This is how I view the Roy situation. Had he been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, no problem. We'd have viewed him as a one or two year flash in the pan cut him after the 2004 or 2005 season.
But he wasnt drafted later, he was the 8th pick of the 1st round.
OC, OG, TE, ILB, FB and S are seldom drafted in the top 10. Players that man those positions are seldom special athletes.
If they were they would have played OT, DL, CB, WR, RB and QB.
You look at the 1st round each year and you'll see 24-26 guys drafted out of the second group and only 6-8 guys in the first group.
Now when you have the exception to the rule. A guy so gifted and so dominate at one of those positions like TE or S, they go in the top 10.

And that's the point. That's what drives everybody nuts.
As a top 10 drafted safety he was supposed to be a dominant player.
And to make things worse he was everything we had hoped for as a rookie. He didn't just hit, he covered well. Not just an ok cover safety, he did it well. He was a dominant, intimidating, game changing player.

What happened?

wileedog

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1926051 said:

Bad analogy.

Jacque Reeves just isn't very good. He was never very good. He will never be very good.

Roy Williams was very good. He got drafted in the top 10 because he was very good. He got paid a bajillion dollars because he was very good.

He is no longer very good.

Why not?

Only a couple of reasons a player declines.

Injury? Nope, Roy has never missed a game because of injury.

Age? Nope, still on the right side of 30. Should be in his prime.

Coaching? Perhaps, although Roy declined with Parcells, and then even further with Wade, so its tough to point a finger.

Work ethic after getting the Big Pay Day and being set for life?

Bingo, winner.

It happens a lot in sports, don't know why its even a question.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1926046 said:
To reply, that was all I was trying to inquire. Was your statement one of opinion or fact.
hey mick, do you have a vid of the toomer td against us in the playoff game?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
David276;1925817 said:
has anyone freaking seen this guys house !?!?!?!? look it up on the internet he wsa on MTV cribs this season. you can probably find "highlights" or something on their website , to lazy to get a link. and dont want to see 20000 pictures of hannah montana or something.

he has a huge saltwater aquarium he freakin swims in! a custom rolls royce his house looks like some persian palace. i wouldnt care

Uh, what?