DMN Blog on Roy

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
wileedog;1926577 said:
It happens a lot in sports, don't know why its even a question.

It's a question because as the case with most things in life, people come away with different view points and opinions, even when they have seen the exact same event, in this case Roy Williams' play on the field. Furthermore, a topic is always going to debated when there is too many opinions and too few facts.

Personally, the only portion of the much contentious Roy Williams Debate that probably can be taken as a fact is that his play has digressed over the course of 2, maybe 3 years.

Now why is that the case? Again, that is open to discussion and one's own interpretation.

Some folks think it is a lack of heart, I don't necessarily agree with that. Nothing wrong with having a disagreement and subsequent dialog about, as they say, Conversation rules the nation.

dfense

Reaction score
Rampage;1926595 said:
hey mick, do you have a vid of the toomer td against us in the playoff game?
Although Roy did nothing on that Toomer TD, it was Henry's pathetic tackle attempt that sprung him.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
dfense;1926618 said:
Although Roy did nothing on that Toomer TD, it was Henry's pathetic tackle attempt that sprung him.
it was definetly henry's fault. i just remember someone saying he dove at air on the play. when i watched it live i had a few drinks and thought he got tripped. i just saw a different angle on espn when they were showing giant highlights and he looked like he dove at air. so i just wanna see if he got tripped or not.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Rampage;1926595 said:
hey mick, do you have a vid of the toomer td against us in the playoff game?

Nope

dfense;1926618 said:

True, but going soley off of memory, Roy Williams didn't do much either on that play.

wileedog

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1926611 said:
Some folks think it is a lack of heart, I don't necessarily agree with that. Nothing wrong with having a disagreement and subsequent dialog about, as they say, Conversation rules the nation.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing at all.

So why do you think his play has drastically declined over the past 3 years if not age, injury, coaching or work ethic (heart)?

dboyz

Reaction score
Roy does not seem to be the playmaker he once was, but he also isn't the biggest problem we need to address. Our biggest problem in coverage was Reeves. If we get that fixed things should improve.

I would also like to see us sign a veteran leader like a Ray Lewis that can be an emotional leader. Defense it particular feeds off of emotion where the total can be greater than the sum of the parts. We need someone to spark that.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
No he didn't get tripped. He definately dove at air.

We'll see if Roy can rededicate himself to becoming good agian. I agree with many others that this is a case of Roy becoming very lazy and unmotivate to be a better player cause he got his contract. It's time for him to step up.

JPM

Reaction score
dboyz;1926683 said:
I would also like to see us sign a veteran leader like a Ray Lewis that can be an emotional leader. Defense it particular feeds off of emotion where the total can be greater than the sum of the parts. We need someone to spark that.
You are singing a song I love to hear. Hopefully the Ravens cut, I doubt it.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1926698 said:
No he didn't get tripped. He definately dove at air.

We'll see if Roy can rededicate himself to becoming good agian. I agree with many others that this is a case of Roy becoming very lazy and unmotivate to be a better player cause he got his contract. It's time for him to step up.
i just watched it on nfl.com and he tripped over the fullbacks foot.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Considering his salary vs. his productivity, or lack thereof, "if" we could figure out a way to trade/release him, I wouldn't mind at all if he were playing elsewhere next year. He's in the drivers seat and due to his financial situation, we're stuck with him...very discouraging situation, IMO.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Rampage;1926708 said:
i just watched it on nfl.com and he tripped over the fullbacks foot.

Kevin Boss took out 3 of our guys on that play.

Took out Hamlin and Henry by blocking both of them at the same time. As Roy runs behind Boss going for Toomer... his foot clips Boss' foot and he loses his footing.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1924846 said:
And for the inevitable posts that say "Roy was the lightest he had been before last season"

Cutting weight does mean that you are in shape.

"You can lead a horse to water...........then............ take the cannoli's"

2much2soon

Reaction score
This has been my opinion on RoyW for a few years:

He was always way, way better than the competition he played against.

Remember the stories about parents taking their kids out of peewee football because they were afraid little Roy was going to hurt them?

I didn't follow him in college but from the little I have seen, he was a man among boys there, too. At draft time the Ronnie Lott comparisons came out. IIRC Ronnie himself said he was the best DB to come out of college in 25 years.

His first few couple of years in the NFL, particularly his first, he was a phenom. Knocking guys out and making plays all over the field.

So when Roy finally had to face some adversity it was a completely foreign concept.

I'd guess the first big thing for him was when Woodson retired and Roy wasn't prepared to take on the role he was needed for.

Then he gained a little weight and lost a step. Maybe the big contract had an affect.

Whatever the case, my take is everything football related always came easy to Roy. When he got put into a position where he had to consciously overcome things he just wasn't equipped.
And thats probably going to be a tough thing for him to learn 10 or so years into adulthood. And under the microscope he is under as a star for the Dallas Cowboys, as well.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I think Roy is going to have to dial it up a few notches because he's going to really be under the microscope next season. There's only so much you can overlook. I've defended Roy in the past but he did have a poor season this year.

khiladi

Reaction score
dboyz;1926683 said:
Roy does not seem to be the playmaker he once was, but he also isn't the biggest problem we need to address. Our biggest problem in coverage was Reeves. If we get that fixed things should improve.

Or it could be them both. Many of the catches against Reeves were in zone coverage, and the underneath was the responsibility of Roy. If the underneath guy is getting burned, it makes for an easier pass as well. The person that will make the tackle is the nickel corner, so he looks like he is the one getting burned, when in fact, they both could be out of position.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again.

Roy Williams is the Vince Carter of the NFL.

And thats not a compliment.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58;1924983 said:
Interesting read.

Nate Newton and Tony Casillias made similar comments about Roy Williams taking bad angles as a possible reason why he uses the Horse Collar.

However, there are counterarguments to possibly debunk that claim.

Suffice it to say, it is very unfair to attribute Roy Williams' recent struggles to laziness and a lack of motivation.

Personally, I think even Roy Williams casually admitted that his play isn't where it needs to be when he compared his donning of a new jersey number to "a new beginning". It may be a case of just reading too much into things, but I just don't think guys that are quite content with their play talk in such a manner.

I think attaining his old college number is very symbolic to Roy Williams. Mentally, I think he is going to use it as motivation and a means of getting back to playing the way he did at The University of Oklahoma, where he absolutely terrorized the opposition.

If a player needs to change his number to get mentally prepared - or to help get mentally prepared - you're in deep trouble. Ridiculous.

ddh33

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;1927580 said:
Said it before and I'll say it again.

Roy Williams is the Vince Carter of the NFL.

And thats not a compliment.

As a huge NBA fan, I can see your position. After all, Vince Carter is more well-known for his dunks than anything else. He's also been called soft and a quitter...But you know what? Vince Carter is still one of the best scorers in the league, and he is an underrated passer who can even defend when he wants to.

I actually think that Roy and Vince suffer from the same problems. Both of them were so brilliant so quickly that fans continually expected more and more. Both of them were so well-known for the highlights that when those higlights stopped happening, people just assumed that they were suddenly horrible players.

Maybe you think Vince could do more. You're probably right. And maybe Roy hasn't played like the best safety in the game the last couple of years. But don't overlook the fact that both of those guys are still quality players.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Someone should send this thread to Roy, so he can read it line for line.

dfense

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1926626 said:
Nope

True, but going soley off of memory, Roy Williams didn't do much either on that play.
Sadley, Roy was caught up in the wash.......as usual at this point in his fading career.