DMN: Blog: Pacman is back in Dallas

FCBarca

Reaction score
daschoo;2429729 said:
im from scotland and just getting back into american football after staying with the girlfriends folks in san antonio, hence the cowboys being my team. i understand that its obviously just the way things are done over there but why does this lead to a league enforced suspension in the first place? the guys obviously got issues and his personal life appears to be a mess but its exactly that, his personal life. over here what a player does away from the game is not taken into account, he may be fined for off-field behaviour by his club but certainly wouldn't have a league enforced suspension. for example down in england joey barton, newcastle united midfielder who was previously suspended for putting his teammate in hospital in training, recieved jail time for getting in a fight outside mcdonalds (nice guy, his brothers doing life for putting an axe in someones head - parents obviously did a great job!) and was back eligible to play on being released from the pokey. just seems strange to me as to why the league would involve themselves over something totally unrelated to the game

Personally, I would've suspended Barton from the Premiership...Antics like that, even off the pitch, have no place in the sport.

But to more directly answer your question, the league in the US (i.e. NFL) is bigger than the clubs/franchises whereas in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, clubs are larger (More powerful)...The FA is not going to be able to tell Fergie or ManYoo much of anything.

I think the way the leagues are set up define that difference and at some point in the future I envision salary caps and collective bargaining etc in futbol abroad too...And should that occur, leagues will collectively police itself in a similar manner to the NFL or NBA to protect it's image ($$$).

Just my two cents

tyke1doe

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2429692 said:
It's not cool. It's shows the commish bias.

Could you please cite me one person that doesn't have a bias? :confused:

I can't understand why people keep offering this as if it's some new revelation, not that it can be proven.

Look, the commissioner is navigating unchartered waters. The league has allowed players to get away with murder (see Leonard Little even though he wasn't charged with murder) with no punishment. Goodell steps in and says, "There's a new sheriff in town, and I'm going to mete out punishment."

Of course, he's going to stumble and have trouble establishing consistency. That's the case with almost anyone who starts something or does something for the first time.

I think people just don't like the fact that the NFL and Goodell are ruining their fun watching football. They don't want to think about the off-field stuff. Just as long as the player can play, that's all that matters.

Well, it's not. There's a balance.

Hopefully Goodell can establish that balance. No, he's not perfect - far from it.

But he's headed in the right direction.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2429990 said:
Could you please cite me one person that doesn't have a bias? :confused:

I can't understand why people keep offering this as if it's some new revelation, not that it can be proven.

Look, the commissioner is navigating unchartered waters. The league has allowed players to get away with murder (see Leonard Little even though he wasn't charged with murder) with no punishment. Goodell steps in and says, "There's a new sheriff in town, and I'm going to mete out punishment."

Of course, he's going to stumble and have trouble establishing consistency. That's the case with almost anyone who starts something or does something for the first time.

I think people just don't like the fact that the NFL and Goodell are ruining their fun watching football. They don't want to think about the off-field stuff. Just as long as the player can play, that's all that matters.

Well, it's not. There's a balance.

Hopefully Goodell can establish that balance. No, he's not perfect - far from it.

But he's headed in the right direction.

Drug Policy violations = 4 game suspension Matt Jones gets a 3 game suspension.....:confused:

It's like c'mon

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
khiladi;2428893 said:
So the NFL forced a treatment on Adam Jones regarding a problem that he never had? Wow Goodell... Another nice one there... What was your judgment to treat Adam based upon this time?

It's called a chance. Wordsmith it any way he wants............rehab, aerobics, jumpimg jacks. Simple really.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Seven;2430098 said:
It's called a chance. Wordsmith it any way he wants............rehab, aerobics, jumpimg jacks. Simple really.

That's just an insane photo :laugh2:

juck

Reaction score
daschoo;2429729 said:
im from scotland and just getting back into american football after staying with the girlfriends folks in san antonio, hence the cowboys being my team. i understand that its obviously just the way things are done over there but why does this lead to a league enforced suspension in the first place? the guys obviously got issues and his personal life appears to be a mess but its exactly that, his personal life. over here what a player does away from the game is not taken into account, he may be fined for off-field behaviour by his club but certainly wouldn't have a league enforced suspension. for example down in england joey barton, newcastle united midfielder who was previously suspended for putting his teammate in hospital in training, recieved jail time for getting in a fight outside mcdonalds (nice guy, his brothers doing life for putting an axe in someones head - parents obviously did a great job!) and was back eligible to play on being released from the pokey. just seems strange to me as to why the league would involve themselves over something totally unrelated to the game

The nfl is a money machine,and a pansy machine.Ur right who cares what they do,if they arent in prison whats it matter?They say its for the kids,baloney.Back in the day not so far off my friend the nfl was full of crazy antics and our beloved cowboys were the front runners.Back when the league was for real and not semi wwe.Read"boys will be boys" from Jeff pearlman.lol.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
juckie;2430124 said:
The nfl is a money machine,and a pansy machine.Ur right who cares what they do,if they arent in prison whats it matter?They say its for the kids,baloney.Back in the day not so far off my friend the nfl was full of crazy antics and our beloved cowboys were the front runners.Back when the league was for real and not semi wwe.Read"boys will be boys" from Jeff pearlman.lol.

Our boys running about uncontroled like that is probably a big part of the reason that the league has figured out it needs to clean up somethings.

Just because the Cowboys of the 90's did it, and got away with it, doesn't mean that those type of things should be allowed to go on.