News: DMN: Dak Prescott notches higher QB rating in debut than any quarterback drafted ahead of him

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I agree with you but the 2 passes to Dez on his back shoulder were top notch. Nobody is stopping the one on the sidelines, I don't care what D you are facing. The one in the endzone could have been a bit more outside. You could not ask for more. I am not one who thinks we have something yet, but no matter what, that was as good as anybody could have played. Anhother thing of note was the 2 screen passes he threw while under pressure showed a lot of touch. Showers in the same situation put the ball on the turf with his throws.

Oh yeah, make no mistake, I was blown away and I hope it continues because nothing is more important to our future. I really like the kid.

ghst187

Reaction score
Did Dak also notch the highest QBR of ANY QB that played this first weeks preseason game...including vets?
I think he might've. 2nd question, was that a product of how ready our offense is already or was he just that good?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys may have fallen in their preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams, but the talk of the town in D-FW isn't the loss, but the performance of rookie quarterback Dak Prescott.
Taken in the fourth round of this year's draft, most thought of Prescott as a potential long-term solution at quarterback behind Tony Romo and Kellen Moore.

But one injury and one stellar preseason performance later, the Cowboys may have just found their backup quarterback after all.

Here's how Prescott stacked up against every quarterback taken ahead of him in the 2016 draft (plus a few extras).

Quite the debut

Name Drafted Opponent Comp/Att Yards TD Int Rating
Dak Prescott R:4, Pick 37 (135) @ LA 10/12 139 2 0 154.5
The rest of the pack

Jared Goff, LA R:1, Pick:1 vs. DAL 4/9 38 0 1 17.1
Carson Wentz, PHI R:1, Pick: 2 vs. TB 12/24 89 0 1 41.8
Paxton Lynch, DEN R:1, Pick: 26 @ CHI 6/7 74 0 0 110.7
Christian Hackenberg, NYJ** R:2, Pick: 20 (51) vs. JAX n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a
Jacoby Brissett, NE R:3, Pick: 29 (91) vs. NO 7/13 63 0 0 67.1
Cody Kessler, CLE R:3, Pick 31 (93) @ GB 2/2 15 1 0 137.5
Connor Cook, OAK R:4, Pick: 2 (100) @ ARZ 7/11 71 0 0 82.0

** - Hackenberg did not play

Other notables

Cardale Jones, BUF R:4, Pick 41 (139) vs. IND 11/21 162 1 0 93.8
Trevone Boykin, SEA undrafted @ KC 16/26 188 1 0 96.3

Continue reading...
Fantastic first start. Hopefully the momentum carries forward.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak was very impressive . My circle thought it was the best debut of a QB in Cowboys history.

Surely he benefitted from all of the reps with 1st team since Moore went down and Romo misses so much time at Camp resting?

Most Rookie QB's probably don't have that luxury? Regardless he looked like a polished veteran. Looks like we've at least found our backup and maybe more.

If his development continues at this pace we might can win without Romo.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dallas Cowboys may have fallen in their preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams, but the talk of the town in D-FW isn't the loss, but the performance of rookie quarterback Dak Prescott.
Taken in the fourth round of this year's draft, most thought of Prescott as a potential long-term solution at quarterback behind Tony Romo and Kellen Moore.

But one injury and one stellar preseason performance later, the Cowboys may have just found their backup quarterback after all.

Here's how Prescott stacked up against every quarterback taken ahead of him in the 2016 draft (plus a few extras).

Quite the debut

Dak Prescott R:4, Pick 37 (135) @ LA 10/12 139 2 0 154.5
The rest of the pack

Jared Goff, LA R:1, Pick:1 vs. DAL 4/9 38 0 1 17.1
Carson Wentz, PHI R:1, Pick: 2 vs. TB 12/24 89 0 1 41.8
Paxton Lynch, DEN R:1, Pick: 26 @ CHI 6/7 74 0 0 110.7
Christian Hackenberg, NYJ** R:2, Pick: 20 (51) vs. JAX n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a
Jacoby Brissett, NE R:3, Pick: 29 (91) vs. NO 7/13 63 0 0 67.1
Cody Kessler, CLE R:3, Pick 31 (93) @ GB 2/2 15 1 0 137.5
Connor Cook, OAK R:4, Pick: 2 (100) @ ARZ 7/11 71 0 0 82.0

** - Hackenberg did not play

Other notables

Cardale Jones, BUF R:4, Pick 41 (139) vs. IND 11/21 162 1 0 93.8
Trevone Boykin, SEA undrafted @ KC 16/26 188 1 0 96.3

Continue reading...
o-MOXIE-facebook.jpg

Kaiser

Reaction score
Legitimate Question: Would you go out and get a backup QB now, or trust in Dak/Showers to get it done as the backup QB based on what you have seen so far?

I would absolutely go with Dak as the #2 at this point. For three reasons -

1 - He will likely earn it if his play the rest of the Preseason is anywhere close to what he did in Saturday's game.

2 - Most of the backups that we could acquire aren't any better - but some would cost a lot to bring in

3 - If Dak isn't the #2, he isn't going to get any practice snaps this year. That will hurt his long term development.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would absolutely go with Dak as the #2 at this point. For three reasons -

1 - He will likely earn it if his play the rest of the Preseason is anywhere close to what he did in Saturday's game.

2 - Most of the backups that we could acquire aren't any better - but some would cost a lot to bring in

3 - If Dak isn't the #2, he isn't going to get any practice snaps this year. That will hurt his long term development.
4- No QB we bring in would know the playbook and have developed any rhythm with our offense

plasticman

Reaction score
Nope, I'm convinced.

I mean he played against a makeshift preseason Ram defense. What other proof do you need that he is the next Roger Staubach?

Im on my way to the tatoo palor now to get my chest Dak-erated.

Honest to God, I was being sarcastic.

With that said, two preseason games down, an entire career to go.

But a heluva start......

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We still have no idea how Dak will respond to high speed, first team defenses in the regular season when teams game plan and take away the boot leg and certain pass lanes he loves. However, win or lose, we would be foolish to bring in a vet as backup at this point. Dak has shown enough that we need to commit to throwing him into the fire if Tony goes down again....it's the only way to know if you have a guy you can work with for the future.