News: DMN: Draft analyst: Why the Cowboys are hoping to trade down in the first round

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Moved to the Fan Zone instead of Draft Zone because I think its a good enough read. The tidbit on Bosa at the end is interesting. While I suspect he will be a productive player in the pros I think he will be a 4-5 sack a year guy....very steady not a playmaker per se.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wait, this supposedly makes me a zealot...it involves something beyond the only smart move of taking Wentz or Gozz at #4...:facepalm:

I see the top talents at the pick, as Goff, Ramsey, Jack...I like Elliott, but feel a move down and bringing team level is pretty important for now. Not the greatest blue chip, as would be the norm. Value at the very top two rounds will probably get the most work done and help cap in the immediate future as well.

This is what Sturm is saying: Bob Sturm: "This franchise has always put all of its hope in Tony Romo for as long as I can remember. It sure doesn't seem that they are sending clear messages that this is changing for me. I advise them to take Wentz or Goff at #4. I think it is easily the smartest thing they could do.
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ncluding-jared-goff-carson-wentz-paxton-lynch

This is what was said about the defensive end position:

(Gregory) He very much would in many ways, but he still would not be that run stopping edge DE that they still need. That is why Bosa gets so much talk and Buckner, I guess, as well. They both can pack some real physicality on the edge, and not just speed around the corner. Gregory is always going to be a real small DE which is fine with pass rush, but not great with 1st and 2nd down in a physical battle. But, if your point is not to make this really short-sighted decision to spend everything because Gregory is out 4 games, I agree. This should not be a decision about 1 month, but rather 1 decade. If you need a DE, go get Jeremy Mincey back on a 1-year deal.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...rms-weekly-pigskin-part-2-tweets-around-world

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like nothing more that 'a couple of guys' offering their opinions. Contradictory and uninformed. They're simply regurgitating all of the names they've heard mentioned elsewhere and throwing them out there as if they know something when it's obvious they don't.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This guy's an idiot. Another of those quick fix short term thinkers that want to *******ize the draft.

Anyone who says player x would be my pick because he'd have the most rookie impact should never be fielding draft questions.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on Myles Jack? I don't know much about him but see his named mentioned a lot?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
What is he thinking calling Ramsey a generational prospect?

I heard here on the zone you can get a guy like him in the middle rounds.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Sure, a cb prospect who doesn't get int's.

There is more to being a defensive back than interceptions. And some cbs get interceptions at the expense of getting burned often. The Janoris Jenkins types.

That's not to say I don't think turnovers are important or that I'd be fine with Ramsey not being a playmaker.

I just have a dream that one day people will not boil a prospect or player down to a single metric like interceptions or sacks.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
why keep drafting corners in the first round in the last few years they have drafted at least two in the first round and they both wentbust. and also a linebacker with a bum knee don't like the sound of that at all.

robjay04

Reaction score
So 3 out of the top 4 teams want to trade down(Cowboys, Chargers, Titans). The only team that doesn't seem overly interested is the worst front office in the NFL (Cleveland). It should tell us that trading down for good value is not going to be an option.

3 out of 4 of the front offices picking in the top 4 do not see good value picking that high based on the talent at the top of this draft, I think it is safe to say that a good percentage of the teams picking below us feel the same way.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
There is more to being a defensive back than interceptions. And some cbs get interceptions at the expense of getting burned often. The Janoris Jenkins types.

That's not to say I don't think turnovers are important or that I'd be fine with Ramsey not being a playmaker.

I just have a dream that one day people will not boil a prospect or player down to a single metric like interceptions or sacks.

Here we go again with the 'there is more to cb's than ints'. We know that. My point is to be a so called once in a generation player, you have to be more than a guy who doesn't get ints.

robjay04

Reaction score
why keep drafting corners in the first round in the last few years they have drafted at least two in the first round and they both wentbust. and also a linebacker with a bum knee don't like the sound of that at all.

Who? I'll give you Claiborne but Jenkins was what...6 or 7 years ago? He made the probowl but it is too long ago to consider that "recent".

I hope you aren't considering Jones a bust. I can't think of a significant investment at CB in between Claiborne and Jones.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I cant see how they can pass on a QB at 4, claiming to be in "win now" mode after the way UFA was handled.

That's my huge concern with this team...there's no real plan. Each move is isolated from the next.

Lets approach UFA conservatively, then look at the DRAFT as a means to win now. Really??

robjay04

Reaction score
I cant see how they can pass on a QB at 4, claiming to be in "win now" mode after the way UFA was handled.

That's my huge concern with this team...there's no real plan. Each move is isolated from the next.

Lets approach UFA conservatively, then look at the DRAFT as a means to win now. Really??

I look at it this way. The front office is following the same exact strategy they have in UFA since they signed Brandon Carr and a host of other FAs awhile back. Spending big bucks in free agency does not mean more wins. The draft is how you improve your team but usually rookies do not make a huge impact in year one.

The team is basically hoping that their bad luck has run out and they don't get hit with the injury bug as hard next season. For better or worse, they feel the team is good enough to win now and they are correct on the offensive side of the ball. I believe that the front office knows the backup QB position is the main reason we are picking at number 4 right now, they can improve that position drastically with that number 4 pick.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Here we go again with the 'there is more to cb's than ints'. We know that. My point is to be a so called once in a generation player, you have to be more than a guy who doesn't get ints.

This reminds me of the JJ watt only had 11.5 sacks in 2 years crowd.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This guy's an idiot. Another of those quick fix short term thinkers that want to *******ize the draft.

Anyone who says player x would be my pick because he'd have the most rookie impact should never be fielding draft questions.

To say nothing of how idiotic it would be for a team to follow that philosophy. If the Cowboys actually practiced prudence, patience, and frugality when it came to free agency, and then followed that up by drafting for 'immediate impact', they're morons who would get the awful results that they deserved.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I see people on the outside talking that way, and showing their ignorance in the process. Until the team actually does it, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to not be that stupid.

Last edited: