News: DMN: Draft analyst: Why the Cowboys are hoping to trade down in the first round

speedkilz88

Reaction score
So 3 out of the top 4 teams want to trade down(Cowboys, Chargers, Titans). The only team that doesn't seem overly interested is the worst front office in the NFL (Cleveland). It should tell us that trading down for good value is not going to be an option.

3 out of 4 of the front offices picking in the top 4 do not see good value picking that high based on the talent at the top of this draft, I think it is safe to say that a good percentage of the teams picking below us feel the same way.

I would think that the top pick is going to be very difficult for the titans to unload because of cost in picks and money - unless it's for Wentz.

Cowboys spot would be a good place for those wanting to get Goff and depending who else is there a guy like Tunsil could draw a lot of interest if he slips. Then you never know who could be in love with Buckner, Bosa, or Jack.

Last edited:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
You seem to like everything the Cowboys do. So what would the Cowboys have to do at #4 for you to not agree with them? What players that they are linked to, would you disagree with them taking?

Me liking everything the Cowboys do is not a true statement.

What I'd like the Cowboys to do in order.

1) Draft Ramsey

2) Trade back

3) If you can't trade back take Bosa.

4) if you can't trade back take Jack

I'd be rather upset if we...

1) Drafted a qb at 4.

2) Drafted Zeke at 4

jjktkk

Reaction score
There is more to being a defensive back than interceptions. And some cbs get interceptions at the expense of getting burned often. The Janoris Jenkins types.

That's not to say I don't think turnovers are important or that I'd be fine with Ramsey not being a playmaker.

I just have a dream that one day people will not boil a prospect or player down to a single metric like interceptions or sacks.

If I'm a taking a cb at 4, I want a shutdown corner, who does get picks, and I don't want any questions about what would be his best position in the pros.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Again, he is being compared to a generational talent. The best of the best. Spin it all you want, but 3 ints in 3 years is pathetic. So Deion dominated with zero ints? JJ Watt dominates with zero sacks? Otay.

Revis has 4 seasons where he had 0-2 INTs... was he still a dominant player?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You seem to like everything the Cowboys do. So what would the Cowboys have to do at #4 for you to not agree with them? What players that they are linked to, would you disagree with them taking?

You shouldn't confuse a poster arguing with most of the dumb criticism found daily on a sports message board with liking everything a team does. Some people simply don't like to belabor their negative criticism. And the level of critical nit-picking on sports forum boards league-wide during an offseason is always insane. When I go to an NFL board and read criticisms of teams I don't follow or don't even like, I usually find myself having the same reaction to a lot of posts: "Well, that's a dumb emotional overreaction."

The bottom line is that it's really difficult to build a consistent winner in the NFL. A lot of time, effort, and ability goes into it in every NFL city. It's easy to see what a team is trying to do if you pay enough attention. Some plans are better than others, but most of the time, the plans are pretty good. Then the season comes along and hits you in the face. It's a cage match where only one plan is left standing at the end of the year. That's what makes it fun to watch.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If I'm a taking a cb at 4, I want a shutdown corner, who does get picks, and I don't want any questions about what would be his best position in the pros.

I always find it funny that a guy scouts think could be a pro bowl cb OR a pro bowl safety is somehow a bad thing.

Having a guy like him on the roster would have been nice when you have a significant injury in the offseason... you know... Like a Oscan Acl...

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
So, to clarify, here's what we might do at #4:

Trade down
Draft Goff
Draft Bosa
Draft Ramsey
Draft Jack
Draft Elliott
Draft Buckner

This guy's a genius.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Revis has 4 seasons where he had 0-2 INTs... was he still a dominant player?

He wasn't dominating in terms of takeaways. No. If that's your idea of dominating, I guess zero int's is on the border of domination too.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Sounds like nothing more that 'a couple of guys' offering their opinions. Contradictory and uninformed. They're simply regurgitating all of the names they've heard mentioned elsewhere and throwing them out there as if they know something when it's obvious they don't.

Yes, a lot but they also are telling you a bit what the club likes FWIW and that's interesting.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He wasn't dominating in terms of takeaways. No. If that's your idea of dominating, I guess zero int's is on the border of domination too.

You see what happens when you make blanket statements?

You're forced to argue that Revis has not been a dominating presence in NFL secondaries.

Let this be a lesson.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No offense but comparing Revis NFL stats to Ramsey's college stats doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Ramsey is a generational talent. Don't know who's generation. But someone who doesn't get int's, he will be an All Pro CB for years to come.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
What are your guys thoughts on Myles Jack? I don't know much about him but see his named mentioned a lot?

I haven't read an answer to this so I'll try to help.

Talent wise he's a top ten pick although most scouts agree Jalen Smith from Notre Dame is the better of the two but both have knee injury concerns. Smith's is the bigger risk because it may involve nerve damage which is a shame, similar to Marcus Lattimore, the running back from Georgia who never recovered enough to be the player he could've been. Smith will get drafted but it's anybody's guess where.

There are whispers that many teams are shying away from Jack at this point. The icing on the cake was that he passed on running a 40 at his personal workout.

It makes sense the Cowboys would stay away from him because the team simply cannot afford to miss on this pick. That's not to say they couldn't miss on any player, but adding an injury component to a top five pick is risky business.

I would expect the Cowboys to pass on Miles Jack but not because of talent. Lastly, you know Jerry - it's possible that the team might pull the trigger on Jalen Smith if he drops to the third.

In any case, both are very interesting players to watch in this year's draft.

Last edited:

endersdragon

Reaction score
Ramsey is a generational talent. Don't know who's generation. But someone who doesn't get int's, he will be an All Pro CB for years to come.

Okay can you tell me some other stats of his rather than obsessing with one. What was the QB rating of opposing QBs throwing his way? How many TDs were thrown his way? How many pass breakups did he have? What about his tackling ability? Etc.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Okay can you tell me some other stats of his rather than obsessing with one. What was the QB rating of opposing QBs throwing his way? How many TDs were thrown his way? How many pass breakups did he have? What about his tackling ability? Etc.

No one threw his way. He is a generational talent. He broke up every pass that was thrown his way (if at all). He is a generational talent. He made every tackle. He is a generational talent. I'm done. The guy walks on water.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just to add some data to the discussion. Here are the CBs taken in the last ten drafts in the Top 15. There are some who had close numbers to what Ramsey had but Ramsey would have the lowest amount of interceptions of any CB taken in the last 10 years in the top half of the first round.

Tye Hill - 5 interceptions

Revis - 8 interceptions

Leodis McKelvin - 4 interceptions
Rodgers-Cromartie - 11 interceptions

Jenkins - 11 interceptions

Hayden - 8 interceptions

Peterson - 7 interceptions

Claiborne - 11 interceptions
Gilmore - 8 interceptions

Milliner - 6 interceptions
Hayden - 6 interceptions (in only 2 seasons)

Gilbert - 5 interceptions
Fuller - 6 interceptions

Waynes - 6 interceptions
Johnson - 9 interceptions