News: DMN: George: Cowboys want Murray back but source says no progress yet on new deal

NewsBot

Reaction score
*** Message was removed by demand from DMN ***

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I continue to think Murray will sign a contract with Dallas in the 6 to 7 mill range. Unlike some I do not expect to see any real drop off. Do I expect him to carry it 400 times or more next year? NO do I expect 1,800 yards? NO I do expect him to continue to be highly productive in rushing, blocking and Receiving.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Giving a second contract to a back who will be in his 30's at the end of it is paying age.

It's a horrible idea for a back who is far from special. He's a product of the OL. Get another and use those resources elsewhere.

Can't we just cut him and save on his contract? Granted, I'm not anywhere near a capologist.

NickZepp

Reaction score
I'm starting to think Dallas will try and get him back for around market price. Which will be around 6-8 mil more than likely. The news of possible Romo restructuring really says the most about this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel this is much ado about nothing until free agency actually begins.

Neither side is going to do anything before then.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
The Cowboys executive vice president made it clear the club wants to re-sign the league’s leading rusher.

The running back from Las Vegas bet on himself before the season started and now is in position to cash in.

A source close to Murray said Wednesday the Cowboys want to re-sign the Pro Bowl running back, though no progress has been made on a new deal.

Murray’s representatives visited with Jones and other Cowboys officials for about 20 minutes in the stands during a practice at the Senior Bowl on Wednesday.

Continue reading...

I think they're going to give him an offer that is lower in terms of average per year (lets say $6M), but that is almost fully guaranteed - that's the BIG deal. I could easily see a 4/$24M with about $16-18M guaranteed. Works out well for the cap, and Murray gets a LOT of money.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giving a second contract to a back who will be in his 30's at the end of it is paying age.

It's a horrible idea for a back who is far from special. He's a product of the OL. Get another and use those resources elsewhere.

Are you expecting them to give him a 10 year Tyron Smith-type deal? lol A 4 yr deal takes him right to 30, maybe 31 depending on when his birthday falls.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

He has been putting up numbers far before the OL could be considered above average.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they're going to give him an offer that is lower in terms of average per year (lets say $6M), but that is almost fully guaranteed - that's the BIG deal. I could easily see a 4/$24M with about $16-18M guaranteed. Works out well for the cap, and Murray gets a LOT of money.
And maybe it could be the kind of deal that the Cowboys could probably get out from under after 2-3 yrs

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's my problem.

There's one reason, and one reason only, that you give a guy 400+ carries in a season. The reason is that you're milking him for all he's worth because you have no intention of bringing him back. If you work him like that and then re-sign him, it's a strong sign that your management process is broken.

The caveat is that if he surprises them by agreeing to a ridiculously cheap or short-term deal, then sure, why not sign him? But you don't sign him to what's likely to be his market value after u

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
3 years, 16 million, club option 4th.

I don't think he will be here and if he is, his stats will be

1200 yards, 3.7 YPC, 8 TDS

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I continue to think Murray will sign a contract with Dallas in the 6 to 7 mill range. Unlike some I do not expect to see any real drop off. Do I expect him to carry it 400 times or more next year? NO do I expect 1,800 yards? NO I do expect him to continue to be highly productive in rushing, blocking and Receiving.

This is what I expect. More platooning with Randle to ensure longevity but productive and a locker room leader whose play sets the tone for the entire team.