DMN JJT Blog: Do you still prefer Patrick Watkins over Roy Williams?

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
Doomsday;2297255 said:
Are you telling me we have a good defense? Sorry but Im not seeing it, we show some flashes of being good but we also show a lot of flashes of being bad. I really dont see much of a difference from the defense we had when Parcells was here.

They are no where near as good as they should be, but when the offense cant sustain drives, ie. run the ball, or better yet, refuse to try to run the ball, it will expose just about any defense that isnt the 2000 Ravens.

rangers71

Reaction score
To me it speaks volumes about the defense when we are concerned about the safety making tackles in the running game. Where was James and Thomas all game?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rangers71;2297720 said:
To me it speaks volumes about the defense when we are concerned about the safety making tackles in the running game. Where was James and Thomas all game?

I think they combined for like 22 tackles

I know James had 10 yesterday

the front 3 is the problem, well, Canty and Spears, they open up no lanes for the LBs to rush, so the outside ones have to come out wide, and the ILBs are getting snuffed, and have to pursue the backside to make the tackle

rangers71

Reaction score
You may be right. I don't remember them being that active but I was so pissed that I probably missed them. I just don't remember their name being called a lot. I agree that Canty and Spears are almost useless.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I know this sounds juvenile and simplistic, but our defense simply doesn't have a mean streak and it's badly needed. We need to be more physical. We sure have the size for it. Time to step up and use it. Our D needs to smack the crap out of opposing offenses every week. Period.

rangers71

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2297730 said:
I know this sounds juvenile and simplistic, but our defense simply doesn't have a mean streak and it's badly needed. We need to be more physical. We sure have the size for it. Time to step up and use it. Our D needs to smack the crap out of opposing offenses every week. Period.

I agree with that completely. Iam so sick of watching us help up the other team after a tackle. You would never have seen Randy White or Harvey Martin do that crap. I miss the days of when you despised your opponent and didn't want to hug them.

superpunk

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2297176 said:
Watkins, 6-5 and 211 pounds, is better in coverage, but Williams, 6-2, 230, is significantly better against the run.
Based on what?

It's like noone remembers how terrible Watkins was, and still is.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
We have a good defense to get in the playoffs, we do not have a great defense to win a Super Bowl. How do you not have 1 interception after this many games??? We have zero playmakers on defense except for Ware. I feel bad for him because at times he has to sack the QB, tackle running backs that other players miss on then at times cover guys out of the backfield. He might as well play by himself with all the help he gets from James, Spears, and Canty. Rat gets his 1 in 5 plays every once in awhile and Thomas has been steady at making tackles, but that is about it. The Dream Team secondary gets torched by James Trash??? James Trash??? If Jim Johnson of the Eagles had these players, I can guarantee you that we would have more sacks and turnovers then we do now...If I were Jerry I would be in someone's rear today as his money is being wasted on mediocre effort and game plans thus far this season...

ddh33

Reaction score
I may be the last one who believes this, but I still say that Roy Williams is the best safety on this team. For all of the love directed at Ken Hamlin, I would tke Roy over him everyday.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
ddh33;2297898 said:
I may be the last one who believes this, but I still say that Roy Williams is the best safety on this team. For all of the love directed at Ken Hamlin, I would tke Roy over him everyday.
i would take Roy over Hamlin any day too.. Hamlin has been a fine player for us, solid, but Roy is much better against the run, and Hamlin, i'd argue, is only slightly better than Roy against the pass..

and i agree 100% with JJT here.. i was just about to bring up those same points.. the 12th man on the field penalty (which was huge) wouldn't have happened if Roy was playing.. the mix up on that touchdown to Thrash wouldn't have happened if Roy was playing.. and all those rushing yards would have at least been significantly less if Roy had been playing.. you guys think it's any coincidence that for the first time in forever, we allow a 100 yard rushing game, and Roy just happens to miss that game? i know if we completely shut down the passing game, a lot of Roy haters would be crying "see!! we are so much better without Roy!".. so now that we gave up all those rushing yards without Roy, i think it's only right to say, "see!! we are so much better off WITH Roy!"

AKATheRake

Reaction score
A lot of broken tackles this game. We have to give Roy that, if he got there first or second that tackle was almost always made. Not too many highlights out there breaking RW hits and tackles.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Star4Ever;2297730 said:

I dont think its juvenile, its just hard to do that when the mentality of the coach is to play a flex type defense.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Doomsday;2298224 said:
I dont think its juvenile, its just hard to do that when the mentality of the coach is to play a flex type defense.

You got my vote.

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any difference in the defense without Roy Williams. I don't know why people are acting like we had some dominant defense that has all of the sudden floundered without Roy in the lineup - this defense is pretty much playing the way it always has.

Roy being a great one defender is one of the more confusing talking points I've heard in some time. I can't remember the last time the guy made a TFL or big play behind the line of scrimmage. I honestly can't see any difference in the defense with or without Roy and I think anyone who sits there and says there is a visible difference is probably posting while wearing a #38 jersey.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Use Your Illusion;2298271 said:
I haven't noticed any difference in the defense without Roy Williams. I don't know why people are acting like we had some dominant defense that has all of the sudden floundered without Roy in the lineup - this defense is pretty much playing the way it always has.

Roy being a great one defender is one of the more confusing talking points I've heard in some time. I can't remember the last time the guy made a TFL or big play behind the line of scrimmage. I honestly can't see any difference in the defense with or without Roy and I think anyone who sits there and says there is a visible difference is probably posting while wearing a #38 jersey.
don't notice any difference? how about Terence Newman saying that had Roy been out there instead of Watkins, he would have known the switch on that TD to Thrash? how about that 12th man penalty that might have cost us the game that was on Watkins? how about the fact that we gave up over 100 yards rushing for the first time in about 20 games? i'd call that a difference..

people have made light of the fact that Roy gets 100+ tackles a year and make light of the fact that he is dominant stopping the run.. well, we could have used some of those tackles and some of that run support on Sunday.. in a 2 point game, a few tackles for shorter gains here and there can be the difference in the game.. period..