DMN JJT Blog: Let's Talk T.O.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hostile;2440579 said:
It doesn't bother me the way it does some people I guess. I didn't have any problem with his original opinion. TO needs to do that when teams are jamming him before JJT was wrong.

JJT's opinion might not be so wrong, but to go postal on his readers is another thing!

:laugh2:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
TheCount;2440538 said:
Cowboyed up? He's spent the last two day stroking his own ego about how important his writing is and now he's calling out T.O. like he means anything to football and STILL hasn't said, "I got it wrong".

How in the hell is it stepping up to selectively abuse readers who called you a maroon for writing a dumb article in the first place? And there were plenty of people who said he was a stooge when he wrote the first article, T.O. puts up 200+ yards and he says, "impress me"?

Who the hell is this guy that a hall of fame potential player would have to impress him?

First, I'm sure he got permission to use those readers' names in print. In most cases, newspapers have policies where if a person writes to a newspaper, the newspaper must get permission to run that information. Or the reader can request his/her correspondence not see print. Or there may be a general assumption that if you submit your name, your correspondence/name can be used.

Second, JJT writes for a national newspaper. He has a right to criticize by virtue of his position. The athletes know this and so do the coaches. They may not like it, but that's what occurs in a country with a free press.

Third, if the 49ers or any other team doesn't adopt the strategy that the Commanders, Giants and every other team this side of San Francisco did in bumping T.O. and putting a safety overtop, then T.O. is going to burn them all day. But don't expect in upcoming games for T.O. to receive the generosity that the 49ers showed.

I'm sure if T.O. has big games against the Steelers, the Giants, the Ravens and the Eagles, then JJT will recant his statement.

But one game doesn't not prove T.O. hasn't slowed down. Any receiver of above-average talent could have beaten the double coverage the 49ers played. See Randy Moss and the Dolphins game for example.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2440501 said:
for someone who doesn't mind being criticized, he sure went out of his way to name those who did, totally uncool of him.

That's what I thought, too. Not very professional to put their full names in public like that.

Also weird that he would say that what separates his emailers from him his that he will go see these athletes in person and say it to their faces. Can we show up at the DMN and say something to JJT to his face?

I don't even think JJT was that wrong with his TO column, but in general he's a lazy, arrogant writer who got his tenure after years of being a decent beat writer and now does a pretty poor job.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
5Stars;2440589 said:
JJT's opinion might not be so wrong, but to go postal on his readers is another thing!

That doesn't bother me either. They go postal on him and if it was any of us and they did we would too. It's harmless exchanges. Why act like he slapped you with a glove and challenged you to a duel?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with anything he said...it's a free world and everybody has their opinion . I just think his columns suck and that he writes nothing of interest . If it weren't for reading this forum , I'd never cast an eye on his stuff .

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas;2440571 said:
No it is not.

Not even close.

It is the opposite. He didn't Cowboy up at all. He is whining and making excuses.

T.O. and Tony Romo have the most TDs of any QB/WR duo in football since 2006. He chose a few bad games where T.O. was slowed without a healthy Romo and a porous OL to make a comical point.

It is hilarious. His last article before the 3rd grade T.O. rant was that Dallas didn't need Pac Man. That came after 1 great game by Newman. Short-sided there perhaps??? Long-term it is obvious Dallas can't keep enough healthy quality cover corners and has been playing soft zone because of it. No sooner than he wrote Newman was banged up again and then the next game Jenkins goes off.

JJT really shouldn't be allowed to write anything.

As in most things he rose to the level of his incompetence. He sucked as a beat writer so they promoted him....

We should have promoted Albert Breer and sent JJT off to New Jersey. At least Albert could admit being wrong and would back up opinions with actual football concepts and facts. JJT thinks going to Ohio State gives him football credibility.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dallas;2440557 said:
Yeah that as well. I forgot that part Chief. ;)

No offense to tyke but he does kinda go "Papa bear" when fans have issues w/ writers. That was all I was trying to point out.

I'm just trying to provide a "balanced" approach.

I don't agree with everything any writer says simply because he's a journalist.

But I do think I have some insight into the business, being a writer myself.

For what it's worth, that is. :)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2440593 said:
First, I'm sure he got permission to use those readers' names in print. In most cases, newspapers have policies where if a person writes to a newspaper, the newspaper must get permission to run that information. Or the reader can request his/her correspondence not see print. Or there may be a general assumption that if you submit your name, your correspondence/name can be used.

Second, JJT writes for a national newspaper. He has a right to criticize by virtue of his position. The athletes know this and so do the coaches. They may not like it, but that's what occurs in a country with a free press.

Third, if the 49ers or any other team doesn't adopt the strategy that the Commanders, Giants and every other team this side of San Francisco did in bumping T.O. and putting a safety overtop, then T.O. is going to burn them all day. But don't expect in upcoming games for T.O. to receive the generosity that the 49ers showed.

I'm sure if T.O. has big games against the Steelers, the Giants, the Ravens and the Eagles, then JJT will recant his statement.

But one game doesn't not prove T.O. hasn't slowed down. Any receiver of above-average talent could have beaten the double coverage the 49ers played. See Randy Moss and the Dolphins game for example.

I think TO will see coverage Like the 49er's did from now on. Two Reasons....

1 Romo's Healthy
2 Roy Williams

So let them take TO away and Witten and Williams goes off.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
superpunk;2440562 said:
I'm sure that as a journalist you realize that the response you just attempted was moronic and diversionary.

Try again.

Huh? :huh:

I have no idea what this means.

Try again.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;2440605 said:
Not even close.

It is the opposite. He didn't Cowboy up at all. He is whining and making excuses.

T.O. and Tony Romo have the most TDs of any QB/WR duo in football since 2006. He chose a few bad games where T.O. was slowed without a healthy Romo and a porous OL to make a comical point.

It is hilarious. His last article before the 3rd grade T.O. rant was that Dallas didn't need Pac Man. That came after 1 great game by Newman. Short-sided there perhaps??? Long-term it is obvious Dallas can't keep enough healthy quality cover corners and has been playing soft zone because of it. No sooner than he wrote Newman was banged up again and then the next game Jenkins goes off.

JJT really shouldn't be allowed to write anything.

As in most things he rose to the level of his incompetence. He sucked as a beat writer so they promoted him....

We should have promoted Albert Breer and sent JJT off to New Jersey. At least Albert could admit being wrong and would back up opinions with actual football concepts and facts. JJT thinks going to Ohio State gives him football credibility.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hostile;2440600 said:
That doesn't bother me either. They go postal on him and if it was any of us and they did we would too. It's harmless exchanges. Why act like he slapped you with a glove and challenged you to a duel?

I guess it's just that he "named" some of his readers. That to me is like the boss calling you out in front of your peers. Not very professional, IMO.

Email them back and cuss them out...but in public?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2440607 said:
I think TO will see coverage Like the 49er's did from now on. Two Reasons....

1 Romo's Healthy
2 Roy Williams

So let them take TO away and Witten and Williams goes off.

That may be true.

But T.O. has invited this criticism upon himself by constantly complaining that he's not getting the ball.

He speaks as if he's the No. 1 guy. And maybe he is. But if he's not getting the ball because teams are doubling him, why not accept that? Why keep saying, "I must get the ball for us to win?"

I doubt people would be talking about him losing a step if he didn't whine so publicly about wanting the ball.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Holy sh'Nikes!

I had no idea there was this much animosity towards JJT. JFE, maybe, but this is surprising.

Personally, I think he's right about being entitled to his opinion here, it's just that his reaction to his reader's reaction is hypocritical and immature. He should have been the 'bigger man' and just accepted the criticism. It's part of the job.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2440593 said:

You're sure he got permission? Maybe your last assumption is true, that by including their names, they didn't know they were allowing their names to then be written in print.

You don't need to work for newspaper to criticize someone, it takes exactly 0 skill. I'm criticizing JT right now, maybe I should get paid to write this.

We aren't even arguing T.O. ability at this point, we are arguing one writers arrogance in thinking his pen hand has some reverberating consequence in the world.

So much so that the first thing he wrote was about how all the members of the Cowboy empire read his blog, and now he's calling out readers and saying he doesn't care what they say anyway and that TO should impress HIM? Impress HIM? Who the hell is JT?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
JJT, I believe that you were spot on in calling out T.O. when you did. It obviously got his fire going again and you manned up after the fact. These folks need to get a life!

On a side note that in no way connects to my public support of you on this topic, please send me two tickets to the Raven's game for always being in your corner! ;)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2440618 said:
That may be true.

But T.O. has invited this criticism upon himself by constantly complaining that he's not getting the ball.

He speaks as if he's the No. 1 guy. And maybe he is. But if he's not getting the ball because teams are doubling him, why not accept that? Why keep saying, "I must get the ball for us to win?"

I doubt people would be talking about him losing a step if he didn't whine so publicly about wanting the ball.

He said when we get the ball things happen. TO might have a huge ego and things that he must have the ball in order for this team to win. Or we he has the ball the team has the best chancing of winning. Or when the Offense goes through him we have the best chances of winning. Seems like he's trying to put the team on his back and carry them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2440593 said:

wow....
How many errors can you make in one post?

1. Randy Moss isn't average.
2. Terrell Owens now has the biggest day of the year by a WR so no other WR gets played that coverage or T.O. just handed it better than anyone has???
3. You assume they didn't play T.O. properly but they manned him up with one of the highest paid CBs in the entire league and then gave him help over the top.
4. The fact T.O. destroyed Nate Clements in man coverage does prove he hasn't dropped to being a secondary WR as JJT claimed.

superpunk

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2440610 said:
Huh? :huh:

I have no idea what this means.
Well then you're not very bright.

Instead of addressing what I said about JJT you made an asinine comment about fans falling to pieces in game threads. Diversionary. Red herring. If you've attended any sort of debate class or even stepped inside an English classroom in the past 100 years you should be familiar with what you just did.

Or maybe that's considered an acceptable debate technique for "journalists". I wouldn't know.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;2440626 said:
wow....
How many errors can you make in one post?

1. Randy Moss isn't average.
2. Terrell Owens now has the biggest day of the year by a WR so no other WR gets played that coverage or T.O. just handed it better than anyone has???
3. You assume they didn't play T.O. properly but they manned him up with one of the highest paid CBs in the entire league and then gave him help over the top.
4. The fact T.O. destroyed Nate Clements in man coverage does prove he hasn't dropped to being a secondary WR as JJT claimed.

True.....

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
here is my issue with this....what has Roy Williams done in Dallas or in recent memory to CONVINCE JJT that he IS the best WR on this team? Roy has not and will never be TO....give me some evidence otherwise!