DMN JJT Blog: Let's Talk T.O.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jterrell;2440728 said:
sorry you said above-average... not that Moss or T.O. are merely above-average considering both have Hall of Fame numbers.

Trure, they are both two of the best receivers in the game. But that still makes them above-average.

Reference the quote above. You said any above-average Wr could have beaten the coverage he faced. Yet other above-average WRs have certainly faced that defense this year and yet not a single one has totaled more yardage than T.O. did. I thought this was easy to follow....

I didn't understand your point as clearly as you put it above.

If Nate Clements can not cover you then you are in fact a very good NFL WR. Doesn't matter how he does it. He plays off other guys and covers them just fine.

I guess my point is that teams showed the way to shut T.O. down and frustrate him. The 49ers didn't choose to do this, despite knowing what T.O. is capable of.

I'm not certain whether other teams last year defensed T.O. the same way the Skins, Giants and Rams chose to do so or not. I'd have to go back and look at game tape. But anytime a dominant receiver is shut down, that tends to raise questions about his suppose dominance.

I don't think that's an unreasonable question.

He didn't write that. He wrote the team should go to RW as the primary WR that T.O. was no longer a go to guy and had lost a step. As staunchly as you are defending the guy you probably should go read his column.

The column I read didn't mention that. It left the question handing.

BTW, Witten in 4 games has something like 4 catches for 45 yards. Guess we need to just move on to Bennett now... :rolleyes:

Uh, Witten has been playing with broken ribs in the past four games has he not? :rolleyes:

Troy Aikman is a close friend of Garrett but he even stated that T.O.'s performance gave what he said a lot of credibility. The team is not as good when T.O. doesn't put up big plays. And by not as good I mean one of those teams is a very good team and the other is really just a mess.

Somehow that doesn't make me feel confident, considering how T.O. got effectively shut down in the four previous games. Granted, Witten is hurt and Roy E. is still trying to learn the playbook, and Romo was hurt and is now starting to get his Stella (Groove) back. So maybe that had more of an impact on T.O.'s past performances. I would hope so.
But because the guy is so hyped, you would expect him to beat even double teams and not revert to a "mere" mortal because someone's bumping him at the line and playing a safety over top.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
:popcorn:

shut down TO = injure Romo.....Garrett play calling had a lot to do with his lack of production also.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not surprised when the same bunch swarms in to take up for their 'journalistic' brethren either.

Even when it's indefensible.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
stasheroo;2440804 said:
I'm not surprised when the same bunch swarms in to take up for their 'journalistic' brethren either.

Even when it's indefensible.

But at least we can articulate in language most civilized, mature adults do when they disagree. ;) :D

superpunk

Reaction score
Chief;2440790 said:
It's science. He's a female dog, he's been a female dog, and this piece shows him clearly to be a female dog.

He picked a fight with the readers over something he is guilty of himself in this instance - hindsight criticism.

But some people will still lick his butthole and say it tastes great. Hey, he's a journalist. He faces these guys everyday. How brave.

Give me a break.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2440768 said:
Trure, they are both two of the best receivers in the game. But that still makes them above-average.

I have zero against you tyke but I just don't get your take here about JJT at all.

Beyond that some of the individual points are eluding me.

for instance in the quote above... Yes both guys are above average... but again you said ANY above-average WR than used Moss as an example of ANY above-average WR.

The truth is yes a Hall of Fame WR would torch defenses who played him like that and that's just what T.O. did.

Its not like the guy caught 5 passes for 80 yards and a TD. He went over 200 and torched the 49ers. They tried to put a safety over the top of him but Romo out-threw the coverage and T.O. outran it.

Mediocre WRs just don't ave those kinda of days regardless of coverage. In fact almost no WR has that kind of day regardless of coverage.

Moss, T.O., Boldin, Fitzgerald, Steve Smith.... the list isn't a long one of guys who can go for 200.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tyke1doe;2440811 said:
But at least we can articulate in language most civilized, mature adults do when they disagree. ;) :D

Oh sure.

That's one advantage of being a journalist ya know!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Why does it matter so much what the guy thinks? He made a bold statement and, as of right now, he's wrong and it's not eve close to being right.

Will the guy say he was wrong by years end if Owens continues to have big games? IMO no he won't and he actually made that obvious by saying he 'might' change his mind.

That tells me that he won't and he'll have some new spin for why he isn't wrong and why it's this reason or that in which Owens is able to do the things he's done.

A hater is a hater. He's always going to hate on TO, and any fan who doesn't agree with his opinion, so let him hate. It's his life he's ruining by hating so much.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2440882 said:
Why does it matter so much what the guy thinks? He made a bold statement and, as of right now, he's wrong and it's not eve close to being right.

Will the guy say he was wrong by years end if Owens continues to have big games? IMO no he won't and he actually made that obvious by saying he 'might' change his mind.

That tells me that he won't and he'll have some new spin for why he isn't wrong and why it's this reason or that in which Owens is able to do the things he's done.

A hater is a hater. He's always going to hate on TO, and any fan who doesn't agree with his opinion, so let him hate. It's his life he's ruining by hating so much.
The only way to prevent this sort of event from happening in the future is to shame the guy into thinking twice the next time.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i dont think that was legal naming names like that...he is going to get himself in trouble with his newspaper...

STSINAZ

Reaction score
he is so off....TO went off yesterday because he still is the player he was...Romo was back, we had a guy to take the triple team off him and voila...look what happens...when brad was in there nothing was going to happen, he was the worst backup statistically in history KC joyner said...before that 3 guys were covering him, no one is getting open like that, they did that to get him to implode...TO will get his catches now....all will see...is TO selfishi? he is still selfish but he will get his catches because teams cant triple team him now....

CowboysxSwagger

Reaction score
I disagree with you saying we should focus our offense on Roy Williams.
As you can see Romo and Williams still have to get trust with each other
I think Roy is doing fine,he's doing his part of the team and that is to help out the offense and catch every ball that is thrown to him
There is way to many weapons on the cowboys offense to focus on one guy
In my opinion we have to get the ball to TO,Roy,Witten,Barber to get some big plays
but the cowboys still have alot of talent on the offense to focus on one guy

Swolt

Reaction score
CowboysxSwagger;2441119 said:
I disagree with you saying we should focus our offense on Roy Williams.
As you can see Romo and Williams still have to get trust with each other
I think Roy is doing fine,he's doing his part of the team and that is to help out the offense and catch every ball that is thrown to him
There is way to many weapons on the cowboys offense to focus on one guy
In my opinion we have to get the ball to TO,Roy,Witten,Barber to get some big plays
but the cowboys still have alot of talent on the offense to focus on one guy

agreed.

Coy

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2440525 said:
And, no, I'm not JJT.

But I have stayed at a Holiday Day Inn Express.

<cue music>

:)

:laugh2: :laugh2: good one.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Is any one else just sick of hearing about owens one way or the other?
Shut up and do what you are paid to do owens. Be a teammate and help win games. That's all I care about.