DMN JJT Blog: Let's Talk T.O.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
tomson75;2440575 said:
There were plenty of people criticizing him before hand...that's what I'm referring to...I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I don't really care for JJT in one way or the other, but that doesn't mean I can't see how incredibly lame this particular blog piece is. He sounds like an overly sensitive little girl.

What he's doing here is no better than what the fans he's directing the piece at did (albeit he probably did it with a little more class)...the irony isn't that hard to spot.

I think he's directing his comments to readers who email him.

Second, one of the purposes behind a blog is to invite a certain amount of immediacy and intimacy for readers. If that is the case, of course, he's going to engage readers. You wouldn't do this in a traditional format, or not the way he's doing it. But the Internet and the immediacy of communication has taken dialogue between reader-writer to another level.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
tomson75;2440621 said:
Holy sh'Nikes!

I had no idea there was this much animosity towards JJT. JFE, maybe, but this is surprising.

Personally, I think he's right about being entitled to his opinion here, it's just that his reaction to his reader's reaction is hypocritical and immature. He should have been the 'bigger man' and just accepted the criticism. It's part of the job.

That's my opinion also. Someone struck one of his nerves in a big way!

:laugh2:

tunahelper

Reaction score
I would love to meet JJT face to face, but he would need to stand on a box!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2440625 said:
He said when we get the ball things happen. TO might have a huge ego and things that he must have the ball in order for this team to win. Or we he has the ball the team has the best chancing of winning. Or when the Offense goes through him we have the best chances of winning. Seems like he's trying to put the team on his back and carry them.

No it does not! It seems that he is "calling out" the team with his "I can't throw and catch the ball" crap. Sounds like he's calling Romo out or Garrett, not putting the team on his back, crap!

:cool:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact is that JJT picked the wrong week to say TO was losing it and it blew up in his face.

But instead of him "Cowboying up' and admitting he was wrong, we get this piece of tripe...

I just hope his bosses scan the blog stuff and see what their employee is up to.

He should be embarrassed.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
TheCount;2440623 said:
You're sure he got permission? Maybe your last assumption is true, that by including their names, they didn't know they were allowing their names to then be written in print.

I'm going by what our newspaper practice is, i.e., to get confirmation from the reader that we can use their name and address. Maybe the rules are different because of the Internet.

You don't need to work for newspaper to criticize someone, it takes exactly 0 skill. I'm criticizing JT right now, maybe I should get paid to write this.

We aren't even arguing T.O. ability at this point, we are arguing one writers arrogance in thinking his pen hand has some reverberating consequence in the world.

So much so that the first thing he wrote was about how all the members of the Cowboy empire read his blog, and now he's calling out readers and saying he doesn't care what they say anyway and that TO should impress HIM? Impress HIM? Who the hell is JT?

All columnists have an inflated sense of self and sense of importance. That's why they're columnists. It takes a lot for a people who have never played the game to criticize coaches who coach the game and players who play the game.

Then again, we all do that. If you were to read this forum, we have a bunch of fans who know what's best for the Cowboys. And if they were in charged, this team would be 11-0.

The only differences between JJT and your average fan are ...

1.) bias - whether that's pro-Cowboys, anti-Cowboys or no bias.
2.) availability - he writes for the Dallas Morning News, which gives him a larger audience and we don't.
3.) access - he can speak directly to the players and attend the games on the newspaper's dime and we can't.

I don't make him more than he needs to be. I recognize his position as a member of the media and allow that perspective to shape how I view his columns and conclusions, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
stasheroo;2440661 said:
The fact is that JJT picked the wrong week to say TO was losing it and it blew up in his face.

But instead of him "Cowboying up' and admitting he was wrong, we get this piece of tripe...

I just hope his bosses scan the blog stuff and see what their employee is up to.

He should be embarrassed.

Wrong time and place.

"Now you know the rest of the story."

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I'm not following JJTs logic. He said that based on T.O.s stats through the first 10 games, he no longer thought he should be the Primary receiver. That's all fine, but then he said Roy William's SHOULD be.

I'm sure Roy will do great later on, but if JJT was basing his assumptions on stats alone, T.o.'s are much better than Roy's through the first 10 games or through the last 3 or so Roy has been here.

And T.O.'s one game hasn't convinced him otherwise yet? What has Roy done so far to warrant his belief that he is superior to T.O.? Roy needs his own breakout game or two before I'll concede he is better than T.O.

Face it, JJT is going strictly off of his own hunches, that is all. That's probably why he is being so sensitive. The facts and stats didn't let him down, his own ego did.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;2440659 said:
No it does not! It seems that he is "calling out" the team with his "I can't throw and catch the ball" crap. Sounds like he's calling Romo out or Garrett, not putting the team on his back, crap!

:cool:

:rolleyes:

Garrett has been bad this season. All the I can't throw and catch it means is get the ball in my hands and I will make things happens. We need more of our play makers that want the ball and try to make this team win.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jterrell;2440626 said:
wow....
How many errors can you make in one post?

1. Randy Moss isn't average.
2. Terrell Owens now has the biggest day of the year by a WR so no other WR gets played that coverage or T.O. just handed it better than anyone has???
3. You assume they didn't play T.O. properly but they manned him up with one of the highest paid CBs in the entire league and then gave him help over the top.
4. The fact T.O. destroyed Nate Clements in man coverage does prove he hasn't dropped to being a secondary WR as JJT claimed.

1. Where did I call Randy Moss average? Please, read carefully.
2. I don't even understand what you're asking. :confused:
3. I didn't assume anything. I saw the game. I saw analysis of the game. Second, so what if Nate Clements is one of the highest paid CBs? The point is that the most effective way to take T.O. out of a game is to bump him and provide a safety over the top. The 49ers didn't do this.
4. I don't think JJT claimed he was a secondary receiver. I think he said he's not the best receiver. And I think JJT believes that Witten is a better receiver than T.O., the pre-rib injury Witten that is.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2440662 said:
I'm going by what our newspaper practice is, i.e., to get confirmation from the reader that we can use their name and address. Maybe the rules are different because of the Internet.

All columnists have an inflated sense of self and sense of importance. That's why they're columnists. It takes a lot for a people who have never played the game to criticize coaches who coach the game and players who play the game.

Then again, we all do that. If you were to read this forum, we have a bunch of fans who know what's best for the Cowboys. And if they were in charged, this team would be 11-0.

The only differences between JJT and your average fan are ...

1.) bias - whether that's pro-Cowboys, anti-Cowboys or no bias.
2.) availability - he writes for the Dallas Morning News, which gives him a larger audience and we don't.
3.) access - he can speak directly to the players and attend the games on the newspaper's dime and we can't.

I don't make him more than he needs to be. I recognize his position as a member of the media and allow that perspective to shape how I view his columns and conclusions, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't.

Since I have been giving you grief for other posts let me say I agree with you here.

The only issues I'd have with what you said are both concerning bias.

1. JJT definitely has bias. He doesn't even hide it. As many members of the local media seem to have done, he picks favorites on the team and criticizes others way too often. T.O. going to Deion with a national story and the biggest interview of the week upset many local media guys who would have killed for that interview?? You darn right it did.

2. As a media member there is going to be some bias for in regard to other members of the media. You understand to some extent his job and his path to get there so there will be at least some level of connection.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2440676 said:
:rolleyes:

Garrett has been bad this season. All the I can't throw and catch it means is get the ball in my hands and I will make things happens. We need more of our play makers that want the ball and try to make this team win.

You mean like the last few games? Where T.O. was the BIG difference in a win or a loss? Right?

:bow:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;2440687 said:
You mean like the last few game? Where T.O. was the BIG difference in a win or a loss? Right?

:bow:

I'm pretty sure if TO could play D he would. He goes out and does what he can to the best of his ability. If they don't use him to the best then something wrong. I haven't seen TO give anything less than 110% since he's been here.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2440694 said:
I'm pretty sure if TO could play D he would. He goes out and does what he can to the best of his ability. If they don't use him to the best then something wrong. I haven't seen TO give anything less than 110% since he's been here.

I don't want to see T.O. on defense! He would just moan and groan about he's not getting enough tackles or Int's or whatever. :bow:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
superpunk;2440630 said:
Well then you're not very bright.

Ah, here come the insults over minor disagreements or misunderstandings.

Is that how you want this discussion to proceed? Or are you interested in having a mature, intelligent conversation?

Let me know because I'm not up to juvenility.

Instead of addressing what I said about JJT you made an asinine comment about fans falling to pieces in game threads. Diversionary. Red herring. If you've attended any sort of debate class or even stepped inside an English classroom in the past 100 years you should be familiar with what you just did.

I know enough about English to understand COMPARISONS. So get this:

JJT made an observation based on the past few games T.O. has played. He has not been able to break free from double coverage.
One game, a game in which the 49ers didn't apply the same strategy, does not prove that he is "back."
It simply means that a very good receiver was able to do what he does best - catch the ball when facing a scheme that allows him a free run from the line of scrimmage.

Or maybe that's considered an acceptable debate technique for "journalists". I wouldn't know.

Do you have a problem? Once again, if you're incapable of having a civil conversation or your maturity level is that of an elementary schooler. Let me know and I'll bow out of this conversation.

First, I am not engaged as a "journalist" on this forum. I'm not writing a blog.

Second, I am simply providing insight into why JJT may have taken the approach that he did.

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt by me standing up for JJT and providing another perspective. But you'll get over it - I hope.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jterrell;2440685 said:
Since I have been giving you grief for other posts let me say I agree with you here.

The only issues I'd have with what you said are both concerning bias.

1. JJT definitely has bias. He doesn't even hide it. As many members of the local media seem to have done, he picks favorites on the team and criticizes others way too often. T.O. going to Deion with a national story and the biggest interview of the week upset many local media guys who would have killed for that interview?? You darn right it did.

2. As a media member there is going to be some bias for in regard to other members of the media. You understand to some extent his job and his path to get there so there will be at least some level of connection.

1. Human nature being what it is, I don't disagree. I've often said EVERYONE has a bias. But bias doesn't necessarily equal bad.

2. Thanks for engaging in a civil discussion. We can agree to disagree and not lose our self respect. At the end of the day, we all are Cowboys fans and want what's best for the team. At least I hope that's the case. :)

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
7 catches for 213 yards and a TD. HE AVERAGED OVER 30 YARDS A CATCH ON 7 CATCHES.

How the hell can people be playing the "coverage" angle? This is an EXTREMELY rare kind of performance for a wide receiver. Someone who isn't what he used to be doesn't do that, regardless of the coverages he's facing.

Not to mention, on two of his 3 deep balls he was being covered by Nate Clements, one of the better corners in football. Teams tend to leave their #1 corners on #1 receivers without much help...that's why they HAVE those #1 corners in the first place. When Owens schooled Champ Bailey (who quite honestly isn't as good as Clements...he gets burned a lot more and only has the reputation he does because of all the interceptions he gets) back in 2005, everyone was making a huge deal of it. Was Bailey "jamming him at the line with a safety over the top?" Nope. Not even close.

Maybe, just maybe, T.O., like most premier receivers, has hardly ever beaten true double coverage and got most of his big plays from situations in which he received single coverage or blown coverage where the safety bit on something else.

Perhaps teams were terrified of what Owens could do after the first two weeks of this season and made it their priority to stop him at all costs. Now that the Cowboys have Roy Williams, teams are being forced to play more honest...hence he's back to dominating.

Call it a hunch...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1. Where did I call Randy Moss average? Please, read carefully.
sorry you said above-average... not that Moss or T.O. are merely above-average considering both have Hall of Fame numbers.

But one game doesn't not prove T.O. hasn't slowed down. Any receiver of above-average talent could have beaten the double coverage the 49ers played. See Randy Moss and the Dolphins game for example.

2. I don't even understand what you're asking. :confused:

Reference the quote above. You said any above-average Wr could have beaten the coverage he faced. Yet other above-average WRs have certainly faced that defense this year and yet not a single one has totaled more yardage than T.O. did. I thought this was easy to follow....

3. I didn't assume anything. I saw the game. I saw analysis of the game. Second, so what if Nate Clements is one of the highest paid CBs? The point is that the most effective way to take T.O. out of a game is to bump him and provide a safety over the top. The 49ers didn't do this.

If Nate Clements can not cover you then you are in fact a very good NFL WR. Doesn't matter how he does it. He plays off other guys and covers them just fine.

4. I don't think JJT claimed he was a secondary receiver. I think he said he's not the best receiver. And I think JJT believes that Witten is a better receiver than T.O., the pre-rib injury Witten that is.

He didn't write that. He wrote the team should go to RW as the primary WR that T.O. was no longer a go to guy and had lost a step. As staunchly as you are defending the guy you probably should go read his column.

BTW, Witten in 4 games has something like 4 catches for 45 yards. Guess we need to just move on to Bennett now... :rolleyes:

Troy Aikman is a close friend of Garrett but he even stated that T.O.'s performance gave what he said a lot of credibility. The team is not as good when T.O. doesn't put up big plays. And by not as good I mean one of those teams is a very good team and the other is really just a mess.