News: DMN: Laufenberg: Two reasons I'd want Tony Romo to get some game action before the playoffs

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with Babe on Romo, if all is wrapped up, play tony in the 2nd half of the Eagles game, if not longer.

Even though I also agree with Zeke, if all wrapped up, and as much as I want him to get the rookie rushing record. It's not worth the risk. Let him play, but limit his touches.
Maybe play him against Detroit, see where he is going into the 2nd half, if he has a lot of yards, and not a lot of carries, see where it goes. But if the yards are tough to come by, then let him rest more than usual.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope you got two rookies that will benefit from game time Zeke is getting better and better at making the right cuts just let him roll. Dak needs to see all the defensive looks he can

And what if Romo looks like crap? That's entirely possible, then what, do you promote Sanchez?

I think the best thing for Tony this to let him continue to get reps let him start out fresh on a new team with training camps and preseason games where people won't be out to kill him, because the Eagles will be headhunting

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to see both play a half each versus the Eagles. Want to compare them.
Okay I can understand that I would just rather have Dak put all the experience he can in his back pocket before the playoffs begin

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
No you gotta get these guys as many snaps as you can they're not seasoned vets. Also I don't like the idea of them sitting all that time between games. You don't want them going cold.

If Tony is needed at any point he will be ready. He's been practicing so I wouldn't worry to much if he was called upon. He'll be ready

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...and if Romo is physically unable to play a half of football period, Babe Laufenberg, what then? Call 1-800-QUARTERBACK? Get someone BETTER than Sanchez to back up Prescott in the postseason?

Yeah right. Stop the fantasy football Laufenberg. And stop trying to stir up crap. You're NOT Jerry Jones. That"s his narcissistic/marketing shtick.

The Cowboys have ten years of knowledge on Romo. They know what they already have in Romo. He does not need a half of football to prep for the postseason. The thing you (or anyone else for that matter) want is a luxury. The coaches likely understand that already. And if he DID require time to prep for the postseason, a HALF of a football game isn't enough time for him or ANY OTHER PLAYER.

Stop the injury fear mongering, Laufenberg. Play Romo only if Prescott gets injured. If Prescott goes down, guess what? Romo will either play and not get hurt or he will get hurt. The latter consequence doesn't change a freaking thing in the here-and-now. IF THE LATTER DOES HAPPEN, Sanchez will play.

There is ZERO need to play Romo. And you're bound to the current backup situation regardless if the unnecessary paranoia (literally) is justified or not justified. Babe Flipping Laufenberg. In December 2013, you said Romo may never play another game again. Then Romo played the next season. Quit using the injury angle, Laufenberg.

Stop the paranoia. The smart thing is prepping a rookie quarterback to face the adversity posed by playoff football. The coaches get their share of ridicule, fair or not, but they are smart enough to realize the true situation and not fall prey to paranoia in my opinion.

MSCowboyFan

Reaction score
I agree with Babe on Romo, if all is wrapped up, play tony in the 2nd half of the Eagles game, if not longer.

Even though I also agree with Zeke, if all wrapped up, and as much as I want him to get the rookie rushing record. It's not worth the risk. Let him play, but limit his touches.
Maybe play him against Detroit, see where he is going into the 2nd half, if he has a lot of yards, and not a lot of carries, see where it goes. But if the yards are tough to come by, then let him rest more than usual.

I'm in total agreement and started a thread last week stating as much. BUT....don't know if Red wants to open that can of worms now. (Tony and Dak)

sweetness0986

Reaction score
Treat it as you would any backup. If we are playing a meaningless game week 17 and think it's time to go to the backup to preserve Dak you do it. Just as you would Zeke and some other key starters.

He totally should have gone for it on 4th and 1. I'm still annoyed about that decision.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
if he is physically unable to make it through a half of football

People are not gonna like that answer.

Babe has always been Romo's biggest supporter ........ but even he thinks this is likely.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I don't think there is any way they put Tony out there for a half. The problem is not if he doesn't impress, but if he plays well. Then we have an instant QB controversy. So,unless Dak goes down, I think Tony will sit until they cut or trade him when the season is over.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I would want to get Tony some game action. We can hear all about how well he is running the scout team, but with the exception of three plays in the preseason, he hasn't faced live action since last November. And if he is physically unable to make it through a half of football, I would rather know that now then when they possibly might need him in the playoffs.
Makes sense. But it also makes sense that, as a backup, he'd be on the field with the other backups, which is something I don't think anybody wants.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I wish everyone would stop saying romo only played 3 plays in the preseason, he played two series against miami, got nailed on the first one and was fine. Then the second one they went right down the field and scored.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'd rather see Dak play a series, then Romo take over with the starters and Sanchez play after the starters sit. That way we don't expose Romo to unnecessary danger, but give him some game snaps to get back up to speed. It also allows Romo to show other teams that he's still got it for trade purposes.

If his health doesn't hold up in such a brief appearance, then all involved should realize that he needs to retire and move on to coaching or the broadcast booth.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do so many people seem to live in this alternate universe where there was no preseason game against Miami?
Good question. I, on the other hand, can't fathom the injury angst nonsense.

Let's examine the "sound" premise that Romo will get injured if he plays. Using the premise, we place Romo in an actual regular season game and restrict his time on the field to two quarters. The potential for injury exists. The potential for anyone playing a contact sport in particular exists but I digress. The odds are actually heavy in Romo's favor that he would exit a single half of football uninjured.

What does this prove? In a word, squat. The potential for injury playing a contact sport would not decrease just like it does not lessen for any player (dang it I did it again). So, let's extend the premise and introduce a possible scenario.

It's the third quarter of a playoff game. Prescott suffers an injury and leaves the game indefinitely. Romo enters the game and gets tackled.
  • If Romo gets up and finishes the game, it does not validate the non-injury he did not encounter in the half played during the regular season.
  • If Romo gets carted off, the purpose and intent of the half of the regular season game that he completed unscathed would have been equally meaningless.
Why does this madness continue? I have no clue. Yes, Romo has suffered unfortunate injuries. That fact should not quantify an unsubstantiated belief that it's a certainty Romo would automatically be put in traction if a cat sneezes in the Bahamas.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Nope you got two rookies that will benefit from game time Zeke is getting better and better at making the right cuts just let him roll. Dak needs to see all the defensive looks he can

And what if Romo looks like crap? That's entirely possible, then what, do you promote Sanchez?

I think the best thing for Tony this to let him continue to get reps let him start out fresh on a new team with training camps and preseason games where people won't be out to kill him, because the Eagles will be headhunting

I smell Broncos in Tonys future... Exception.... Linehan leaves and Tony becomes OC.....