News: DMN: Moore: Cowboys will sign a player or two by Thursday

jjktkk

Reaction score
Our FA strategy means we have to take chances on those type of players and hope they pay off. I will not be surprised if Hall becomes the next to get away because we're not willing to outbid other teams for him. Players like Manziel, Griffin and Hardy are liable to have no one else bidding for their services, which is the only way we get a leg up with out FA plan.

I'm surprised we were able to land Thornton, but I think we actually targeted him more aggressively as a player we really wanted to add ... which probably tells us that none of these other FAs are seen as must-haves.
This strategy has backfired on Dallas , just as recently as last years signing of Hardy.

visionary

Reaction score
Really do not see any comments at all. Pretty odd, because usually either Jerry or Stephen Jones have plenty to say and are quite visible most of the time.

To be honest, I cannot say I have seen the Joneses or Garrett make much of a public showing since the Combine.

Meanwhile, you see GMs and head coaches from other teams all over the country at Pro Days. The highest profile member of the organization I have heard about on the draft circuit is Ciskowski, who just showed up at Baylor's Pro Day.

They all must be just be holed up somewhere, pouring over free agent options and college tape.

Ciskowski is the real decision maker/GM

I heard it right here (4 or 5 years back)

khiladi

Reaction score
By financial restraint, Jerry clearly doesn't mean on the booze. Based on his decisions or lack thereof, whatever he's saving in not spending on the team, is going right to his liver..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
People forget you need depth.. Folks only think about the top 3, but they started the year with Carr, Clai, Patmon, and somebody else whose name I forget, not Scan or Jones. So now.. you got Scan (coming off injury), Clai (coming off injury), Jones, and Carr. They need the depth especially this time of year. Opening roster could change.

Frankly, I think we would need to pick up two players who deserve playing time in the nickel to cut Carr.

Right now, our corner depth is Carr, an injured Scandrick and an oft-injured Claiborne. If we get Hall, he gives us a player who can either start or play the nickel role depending on how the other pieces fall into place.

Another nickel worthy player would put us in a position where Hall could start if needed, Claiborne could start if needed and we'd still have enough depth if Scandrick isn't ready. Or if Scandrick is ready and Claiborne has more injury problems, then we would have Scandrick, Hall and the other FA.

Or if we get a starting safety, Jones could be used at corner, which would also make Carr expendable, if we also get Hall.

There are just too many risks with the injuries to cut Carr if we just pick up Hall IMO.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Judd Garrett, the brother, if I remember correctly, heads the pro scouting department. Don't worry, things are always bright in Dallas when a Garrett is involved...

Yes, Jason Garrett's own brother is over pro personnel. It was like plucking off a tick when our TE coach was a Garrett.

Huff puff. High and tight, Martellus.

The sooner that family is out of the picture, there might be a changing of the guard.

Unlike the Joneses, they can be fired.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frankly, I think we would need to pick up two players who deserve playing time in the nickel to cut Carr.

Right now, our corner depth is Carr, an injured Scandrick and an oft-injured Claiborne. If we get Hall, he gives us a player who can either start or play the nickel role depending on how the other pieces fall into place.

Another nickel worthy player would put us in a position where Hall could start if needed, Claiborne could start if needed and we'd still have enough depth if Scandrick isn't ready. Or if Scandrick is ready and Claiborne has more injury problems, then we would have Scandrick, Hall and the other FA.

Or if we get a starting safety, Jones could be used at corner, which would also make Carr expendable, if we also get Hall.

There are just too many risks with the injuries to cut Carr if we just pick up Hall IMO.

I agree with all of this... Only caveat is adding "two starting-caliber" players to release Carr. Not too many of those floating around.

jjktkk

Reaction score
As

As far as cb depth, if the Boys sign Hall, I could see Dallas cutting Carr, and then you would have Scandrick, Claiborne, as your starters, Hall as your slot corner, and imo, you can have Mitchell, and/or Olatoye as your 4th corner. I believe Mitchell and Olatoye showed enough late last season to warrant more playing time.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
same roster and staff went 12-4 two years ago.
good talk.

You mean the roster that had the NFLs offensive player of the year?

Yea, we let him walk in 2015. You know, because, we're good... Don't need ya.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree with all of this... Only caveat is adding "two starting-caliber" players to release Carr. Not too many of those floating around.

Well, by starting-caliber, I mean two guys who can be on the field in the nickel without being much of a liability. For instance, I'd be OK with letting Carr go if we picked up Hall and Sterling Moore. I also consider a nickel corner a starter because he is on the field so much.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As

As far as cb depth, if the Boys sign Hall, I could see Dallas cutting Carr, and then you would have Scandrick, Claiborne, as your starters, Hall as your slot corner, and imo, you can have Mitchell, and/or Olatoye as your 4th corner. I believe Mitchell and Olatoye showed enough late last season to warrant more playing time.

Having Jones gives us some flexibility because he can always be moved to corner if necessary, but then we're back to Church and Wilcox at safety.

Maybe Mitchell and Olatoye can step up to make moving Jones unnecessary, but I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on that.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I like Irvng. But I dont think he's a DE in this 4-3 system.

Really? He kind of reminds me of Too Tall..
.if he could become half of the playerthat Too Tall was...I'd take that.

Ken

Reaction score
Seems to me we overplayed the frugality card and now there's hardly anything out there other than the ones nobody wants like the Manziels, RGIII's and Hardy's of the NFL. Either that or we had no strategy at all and the other teams ate our lunch.

As I stated earlier in the offseason...more cap available would severely hamper the frugal deals this year. I didn't agree with our strategy and still don't.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Seems to me we overplayed the frugality card and now there's hardly anything out there other than the ones nobody wants like the Manziels, RGIII's and Hardy's of the NFL. Either that or we had no strategy at all and the other teams ate our lunch.
Well they did get a good DT, so that is something many have said they needed.

If they get Elliot or a good RB in draft that will be good, and then a QB in draft too.
I think they are saving cap space for future signings of OL etc, so that should be good too.

Also drafting higher means higher costs there too right?

So if they do good in the draft it will even out and be good for next year.

gmoney112

Reaction score
There's still time to upgrade the secondary at least.

Bring in Hall and Nelson, cut Carr and Barry.

Mo, Hall, and Scandrick at CB
Jones and Nelson at safety

Looks like an improvement to me, and we'll probably save money.

I'm just worried that Jerry and Stephen are too busy trying to convince Frisco to rename themselves Jonestown.