News: DMN: National columnist: The Cowboys 'aren't that good,' have a 'soft' 9-1 record

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The Cowboys are 9-1, best in the NFL and looking reminiscent of the 1990s Cowboys teams - or at least close. But Fox Sports columnist Chris Chase isn't buying the hype. The Cowboys are very beatable, he says.

"The Dallas Cownoys aren't that good, at least they haven't proved it yet," Chase wrote. "Saying 'that good' is in reference to their 9-1 record, seeming offensive indestructibility and status as favorites in the NFC.

"The truth is the record is soft, the offense is vulnerable and they're a clear second behind Seattle as the rightful favorite to win the NFC."

Nine NFL defenses - including highly touted ones like Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore - may think otherwise about the Cowboys offensive vulnerability. In fact, barring a Terrance Williams misstep in Game 1 vs. the Giants - perhaps the Cowboys would be sitting at 10-0.

Chase argues that the Cowboys have played an easy schedule, at 1-1 vs. teams with winning records and 8-0 against a host of .500 or worse teams.

Chase qualifies his criticism, noting that "We've found out that Dallas is a team that doesn't play down to its competition." But still, he says, 9-1 is the result of "schedule ephemera."

SportsDay insider David Moore disputed the claim that the Cowboys have gotten lucky en route to 9-1 in his column Sunday after the Cowboys' 27-17 win vs. Baltimore.

"Those who choose to fret about the cracks in Michelangelo's David rather than revel in its beauty, those who insist we won't discover what this Cowboys team is all about until it faces adversity are ignoring a universal truth," Moore said. "The Cowboys have overcome plenty of adversity this season. Sunday's 27-17 win over Baltimore is the latest example."

Moore continued:

"An offense that couldn't get anything going early couldn't be stopped late to extend its winning streak to a franchise-record nine games.

"A defense that was gashed early and missing two starters in the secondary responded to ensure the Cowboys are now working on 71 days without a loss.

"Adversity? You stare first-and-30 in the face and not only pick that up but lead the Cowboys to a touchdown the way rookie Dak Prescott did. You lose Pro Bowl veterans to injury throughout the season, starting with quarterback Tony Romo, and fashion the NFL's best record.

"This group has shown time and time again it can come back from adversity. "

What do you think, Cowboys fans? Has America's Team overcome adversity?

Click here to read Chase's full column.

Continue reading...
Blimey!
Who is Chris Case?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Time of Possession 24:21 ravens
Time of Possession 35:39 dallas

we were balanced too ,36 passes, 30 runs, = 66 plays
ravens were 35-15 = 50 plays
our defense faced 50 plays, while ravens D faced 66

What dallas is doing is deceptive, so when they dont understand how we are winning, they say we cant be that good.
no long td passes, no flashy offense, no overpowering d with lot of sacks, so how can we be good ??
it is all in the details that they dont see, just like dak picking up the cup, some get it some dont.

They dont get it, and I hope that continues, makes it easier for us to keep winning, and only belicheck might see it and come up
with a defense for it, so hope we dont have to play them in SB.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
I think the only glaring weakness on this team is the pass rush. The LBs are solid, and even without Mo the secondary is at least good. We lack a consistent pass rush (even when we blitz we struggle to get pressure) which could definitely bite us come playoff time. However looking just at the NFC, the Seahawks have a crap OL and aren't exactly the a high powered offense. I think our defense actually match up well with their offense, given that they aren't a great running team and Jones matches up well with Graham. The falcon's offense could be an issue with Ryan and Jones, but their defense sucks so we just have to play our brand of time possession football to beat them. Really the only teams that worry me are the Seahawks and Patriots. I stated above why we match up with Seattle, the Pats are another story though. Over the past decade or so it's been proven that they can be beaten by a strong pass rush, which we lack. I think they could definitely be a problem for our defense, but let's just get to the big game first before focusing on them too much.

Reactions: BAT

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yep we have a 9-1 Offense and a .500 defense if that. I sure hope the powers that be get some help in the off season.

I'm just hoping we find a consistent pass rush by the playoffs. I'm literally praying for it.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Dude's a tool. This is his thing, and I made fun of him in the past for it.

When you're winning every game, that extra loss makes teams look worse too. How much would our SoS have changed if we lost every game?

Best record in the league in the best division. Nuff said.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are 9-1, best in the NFL and looking reminiscent of the 1990s Cowboys teams - or at least close. But Fox Sports columnist Chris Chase isn't buying the hype. The Cowboys are very beatable, he says.

"The Dallas Cownoys aren't that good, at least they haven't proved it yet," Chase wrote. "Saying 'that good' is in reference to their 9-1 record, seeming offensive indestructibility and status as favorites in the NFC.

"The truth is the record is soft, the offense is vulnerable and they're a clear second behind Seattle as the rightful favorite to win the NFC."

Nine NFL defenses - including highly touted ones like Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore - may think otherwise about the Cowboys offensive vulnerability. In fact, barring a Terrance Williams misstep in Game 1 vs. the Giants - perhaps the Cowboys would be sitting at 10-0.

Chase argues that the Cowboys have played an easy schedule, at 1-1 vs. teams with winning records and 8-0 against a host of .500 or worse teams.

Chase qualifies his criticism, noting that "We've found out that Dallas is a team that doesn't play down to its competition." But still, he says, 9-1 is the result of "schedule ephemera."

SportsDay insider David Moore disputed the claim that the Cowboys have gotten lucky en route to 9-1 in his column Sunday after the Cowboys' 27-17 win vs. Baltimore.

"Those who choose to fret about the cracks in Michelangelo's David rather than revel in its beauty, those who insist we won't discover what this Cowboys team is all about until it faces adversity are ignoring a universal truth," Moore said. "The Cowboys have overcome plenty of adversity this season. Sunday's 27-17 win over Baltimore is the latest example."

Moore continued:

"An offense that couldn't get anything going early couldn't be stopped late to extend its winning streak to a franchise-record nine games.

"A defense that was gashed early and missing two starters in the secondary responded to ensure the Cowboys are now working on 71 days without a loss.

"Adversity? You stare first-and-30 in the face and not only pick that up but lead the Cowboys to a touchdown the way rookie Dak Prescott did. You lose Pro Bowl veterans to injury throughout the season, starting with quarterback Tony Romo, and fashion the NFL's best record.

"This group has shown time and time again it can come back from adversity. "

What do you think, Cowboys fans? Has America's Team overcome adversity?

Click here to read Chase's full column.

Continue reading...
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/thread_stuff/blahblahblah.gif

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It isn't our fault that GB and Cincinnati suck. When we played them they were supposed to be our true tests. There aren't too many good teams in the NFC.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
1> Backup 4th round QB starts season
2> Missed #1 receiver for a good portion of the season.
3> Missed 2 offensive linemen for a short term in the season
4> Had to play several GOOD teams on their own turf, still won.
5> Had QB controversy for the last part of a month.
6> Had adversity in several of the come back wins.
7> Dallas has a team who is 30th in interceptions, and 20th in sacks. Hardly giving the offense anything easy to work with.

Say what you want, but you don't accidentally win 9 in a row. Maybe 4.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I bet his wife thinks things are soft in her neck of the woods 2.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It's funny how they always change the rules for the Cowboys.

How many times have you ever seen reporters talk about a team having an easy schedule because they have only played x number of games against "winning" teams and leave out the .500 teams? That never usually happens.

Secondly, take away the losses against the Cowboys and the Steelers, Ravens, Eagles join the Giants and Commanders as teams with winning records. Take away the two teams that really suck and which really skew the record, the Browns and 49ers, and out opponents winning percentage goes up significantly.

Let's take a look at the rest of elite teams:

New England has wins against Miami, Houston...the rest are .500 or below.

Seattle has Miami, Atlanta and New England.

Oakland has Atlanta, KC, Denver and Houston. I bet Dallas would be favored against them on both the home and the road.

This is pure hate writing. Serves no other purpose than to try to diminish what this team has accomplished.

jchap

Reaction score
His draft opinion is glorious to instantly invalidate anything he says

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I'll even conceed we have not faced the best teams in the NFL: Seahawks, Patriots, Raiders, maybe Broncos. But if we're going to win the Super Bowl, we will probably have to face the Seahawks and Patriots. So we get our chance to prove we're the best and I think we can be successful. But we can only play the schedule that's given to us like any other team does, and so we far we have the best record in the NFL.