DMN: National predictions: It's close, but analysts say Eagles have better chance to win NFC East

perrykemp

Reaction score
If the Cowboys had collapsed the way the Eagles collapsed last year down the stretch, we would have never heard the end of it. Chippy gets a pass though because he is a 'Genius'!

They lost their starting QB. For the most part, when a team loses their starting QB in the NFL it's game-over for a team.

10-6 in that situation is pretty impressive IMHO.

Ken

Reaction score
This to me is the biggest thing the media are glossing over. Rookie and Matthews starting, I think that unit is at least as questionable as Dallas' running backs.

Matthews can be a good #2 in all likelyhood. Agahlor looks promising but is also not a #1. That is their biggest problem, they don't have any guys who command a double....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
It didn't stop them on Thanksgiving though? He wasn't the reason they didn't win down the stretch...

Same as what I said to Risen Star. Not necessarily justified. But credit to Kelly for recognizing NEITHER of this incumbents QBs were getting it done and making a change. It could be a poor gamble but better than resting on hope at the QB position.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This to me is the biggest thing the media are glossing over. Rookie and Matthews starting, I think that unit is at least as questionable as Dallas' running backs.

Eh, Maclin is a good WR but their offense lives off crossing routes to move the chains consistently. Between Murray and their scheme I think they'll move the ball. Their system rests on a good OL, power running, an accurate QB and YAC. The only place they severely regressed was on the OL. Mathis can open holes.

perrykemp

Reaction score
That is their biggest problem, they don't have any guys who command a double....

Having a WR that commands a double certainly isn't a prerequisite for much in the NFL these days. Go look at the last 5-6 Superbowl champions and try to find a WR worth doubling on one of those teams:

2014: Edelman - No
2013: Harvin - No
2012: Boldin - No
2011: Cruz - No
2010: Jennings - No

Ken

Reaction score
Same as what I said to Risen Star. Not necessarily justified. But credit to Kelly for recognizing NEITHER of this incumbents QBs were getting it done and making a change. It could be a poor gamble but better than resting on hope at the QB position.
I still question the Foles move. The kid had one of the best seasons in the history of the nfl a couple of years ago. Then last year was 6-2 at the helm and wasn't as effective but neither was the line in front of him at the time or the running game.

Rams snatched him up and already extended him. Throw in a nice draft pick to boot.

perrykemp

Reaction score
They lost to the Commanders with the division in the balance. Not impressive.

How many games did the Cowboys win with their backup QB last season?

I believe the Cowboys were 0-1.

Ken

Reaction score
Having a WR that commands a double certainly isn't a prerequisite for much in the NFL these days. Go look at the last 5-6 Superbowl champions and try to find a WR worth doubling on one of those teams:

2014: Edelman - No
2013: Harvin - No
2012: Boldin - No
2011: Cruz - No
2010: Jennings - No

I said they don't have a guy period who commands a double....Gronk is a walking Double, Lynch and Russell coupled with that D is a unique situation.

Cruz is a double but he also had a historic defense. Rogers is an elite historic qb... Generally speaking, you need someone on your offense to be a double, that is my philosophy anyway.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I still question the Foles move. The kid had one of the best seasons in the history of the nfl a couple of years ago. Then last year was 6-2 at the helm and wasn't as effective but neither was the line in front of him at the time or the running game.

Rams snatched him up and already extended him. Throw in a nice draft pick to boot.

I really hope so. I think the gamble was worth it if he had identified Foles wasn't going to be all that much.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Eh, Maclin is a good WR but their offense lives off crossing routes to move the chains consistently. Between Murray and their scheme I think they'll move the ball. Their system rests on a good OL, power running, an accurate QB and YAC. The only place they severely regressed was on the OL. Mathis can open holes.

Where's the proof of this desire for a power running attack? Lamichael James, Barner, McCoy, Sproles. Which of those guys is a power running back? Seems like a conveinent Kellyism similar to "that wasn't a read option".

Reactions: BAZ

Ken

Reaction score
How many games did the Cowboys win with their backup QB last season?

I believe the Cowboys were 0-1.
The dropoff from Foles to Sanchez, a guy who has taken a team to the Conference championship, is minimal.

Romo to just about anyone is monumental. Big difference.

But i will give the eagles credit, they have better backup qbs.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Matthews can be a good #2 in all likelyhood. Agahlor looks promising but is also not a #1. That is their biggest problem, they don't have any guys who command a double....

If you watched them in the preseason, they were dumping off to the backs and using the TE's down the field as well.

They were using Sproles out of the back field to avoid pressure, so our lb's need to be ready.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Where's the proof of this desire for a power running attack? Lamichael James, Barner, McCoy, Sproles. Which of those guys is a power running back? Seems like a conveinent Kellyism similar to "that wasn't a read option".

Because in the read option, there is a hole in your head the running back you want to hit that hard and fast. The purpose is to stay ahead of the change by getting at least 4 yards on each down making the defense stepped up. Once the defense stepped up, crossing routes or even that much more open. I'd suggest that signing Murray is a big indicator of their desire.

Sproles is more of a pass catching running back than part of the read option.

Nexx

Reaction score
eagles are super bowl bound every year it seems. too bad their trophy case is still empty.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Because in the read option, there is a hole in your head the running back you want to hit that hard and fast. The purpose is to stay ahead of the change by getting at least 4 yards on each down making the defense stepped up. Once the defense stepped up, crossing routes or even that much more open. I'd suggest that signing Murray is a big indicator of their desire.

Sproles is more of a pass catching running back than part of the read option.

So why has someone that is a supposed genius never bothered to recruit one of those guys? It sounds like a ridiculously convenient argument that never appeared until Chip decided to back up the brinks and pay two of those types of runners.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
So why has someone that is a supposed genius never bothered to recruit one of those guys? It sounds like a ridiculously convenient argument that never appeared until Chip decided to back up the brinks and pay two of those types of runners.

That is like asking why Jason Garrett didn't decide to stock up on pass rushers until the third year as head coach. You have to wait for the opportunity to present itself.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I've seen just as many national predictions that the Cowboys will rule the East. It'll be a dogfight, tho.

I believe the acquisition of C-Mike might very possibly have tipped the scales decidedly in our favor.

Last edited:

StarOfGlory

Reaction score

He already had a stud in McCoy that he tried to shoehorn into that role. He realized that as good as McCoy is, he was not the type of back he needed. I saw a lot of Eagle games, and I was surprised at how many times he was dropped for no gain or a loss. Chip needs guys who can grind out 4-5 yards consistently, not a guy who runs for 1, 2, -2, 1, 28. McCoy did not give the type of chain movement needed for that offense.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I've seen just as many national predictions that the Cowboys will rule the East. It will be a dogfight, tho.

If the media world doesn't unanimously state that the cowboys are the most dominant team of the decade, this board likes to believe that there is some sort of a bias against us.