DMN: NFL VP of Officiating: It’s not unreasonable to watch everything Dez did and think

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree it's nonsense. But that is the argument you were making. "The NFL said it was right, so it must be."

The argument I'm making is the ruling was correct and there's video evidence to support my argument and the NFL's argument. It's ridiculous for anyone to dispute some of the things that are being disputed on that video.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
My argument Is the ruling was correct and there's video evidence to support my argument and the NFL's argument. It's ridiculous for anyone to dispute some of the things that are being disputed on that video.

As right as you are about the ball touching the ground, you're twice as wrong about everything else.

You keep spouting that the NFL confirmed the ruling as if that is strong evidence against the idea that the NFL is putting out a PR campaign to cover their failure to properly handle the call. That's about as weak as it gets.

ALL of the video evidence, in conjunction with the rule book supports the argument that the NFL's ruling was wrong.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As right as you are about the ball touching the ground, you're twice as wrong about everything else.

You keep spouting that the NFL confirmed the ruling as if that is strong evidence against the idea that the NFL is putting out a PR campaign to cover their failure to properly handle the call. That's about as weak as it gets.

ALL of the video evidence, in conjunction with the rule book supports the argument that the NFL's ruling was wrong.

I'm wrong about the ball coming loose? You're not just disagreeing with me but the NFL and many who get paid to cover the NFL who scrutinized and studied that play just like we all have. No one is going to take anyone seriously here who contends all the video evidence shows the NFL's ruling was wrong. There isn't anything on that video that shows a PR campaign to cover up anything or the league would be in hot water up to their neck. Hard to cover up something that's been examined by everyone in slo-mo frame by frame replay. You sound like a typical disgruntled armchair FAN who refuses to accept the ruling because it didn't go in the Cowboys favor.

You and everyone else would be right on board with the ruling had it happened to the Packers. Not one FAN here would have had any problem seeing the ball touch the ground and come loose had that been Randall Cobb. LOL That video shows that under the RULE Dez did not complete the process of making the catch through the contact of the ground because he was going to the ground. I haven't heard any expert claim the ruling was wrong. Many don't like the RULE and agree Dez caught the ball but under the RULE it wasn't a legal catch.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
all this is doing is humilating the cowboys, let it go. Its sickening for all sides. Even more so for the NFL who has a lot of egg on its face.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I'm wrong about the ball coming loose? You're not just disagreeing with me but the NFL and many who get paid to cover the NFL who scrutinized and studied that play just like we all have. No one is going to take anyone seriously here who contends all the video evidence shows the NFL's ruling was wrong. There isn't anything on that video that shows a PR campaign to cover up anything or the league would be in hot water up to their neck. Hard to cover up something that's been examined by everyone in slo-mo frame by frame replay. You sound like a typical disgruntled armchair FAN who refuses to accept the ruling because it didn't go in the Cowboys favor.

You and everyone else would be right on board with the ruling had it happened to the Packers. Not one FAN here would have had any problem seeing the ball touch the ground and come loose had that been Randall Cobb. LOL That video shows that under the RULE Dez did not complete the process of making the catch through the contact of the ground because he was going to the ground. I haven't heard any expert claim the ruling was wrong. Many don't like the RULE and agree Dez caught the ball but under the RULE it wasn't a legal catch.

You might need to double check your reading.

And the video evidence clearly shows that it was a catch according to the rules. The rules are what are important, and according to the letter, and spirit of the rules, what occurred in that game was a catch. The videos clearly show that.

The embarrassing job by Mr. Blandino points to an obvious attempt to save face.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
all this is doing is humilating the cowboys, let it go. Its sickening for all sides. Even more so for the NFL who has a lot of egg on its face.

It's the Cowboy FANS who are disputing facets of the play that are indisputable that are humiliating themselves. The big mistake the NFL made was coming up with the term " a football move" and "an act common to the game." No one ever completely understood what either meant and no one in the league including Blandino could ever explain it to anyone's satisfaction. Blandino made the mistake of bringing it up in the Dez play claiming he didn't make " a football move" or " a move common to the game." Of course Dez didn't he's a freak who makes moves uncommon to the game. In an interview on NFLN Blandino started steering away from "a football move" and "an act common to the game" and focused on the ball coming loose as it contacted the ground. I knew at that moment and predicted that the NFL would remove "a football move" and "an act common to the game" from the rule book.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You might need to double check your reading.

And the video evidence clearly shows that it was a catch according to the rules. The rules are what are important, and according to the letter, and spirit of the rules, what occurred in that game was a catch. The videos clearly show that.

The embarrassing job by Mr. Blandino points to an obvious attempt to save face.

If the video evidence clearly showed it was a catch according to the RULES the catch wouldn't have been overturned. A call on the field is never overturned unless there's conclusive evidence to overturn it.The NFL reviewed the call and stated it was the correct call under the RULE. You and the rest are just spewing sour grapes you need to move on training camp is almost here.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The rule book supports the decision. There are plenty of words that do so. I proved that in a different thread.

You did not prove a thing in that thread except not understanding how an exception to a rule is meant to be applied.

Plumfool

Reaction score
Blandino like everyone else could see that Dez caught the ball but under the RULE it wasn't a legal catch. The RULE requires that a receiver who's going to the ground must complete a process.

I'd agree however by saying "enough of a football move" makes it subjective. Or colored. Thus disputable.

blindzebra

Reaction score
For all the they got it right crowd answer the following questions:

1. What is the intent of the Calvin Johnson Rule?

2. Was this intent needed in the Dez play?

3. Without applying the CJ falling exception did Dez: Control the Ball, Get Two Feet Inbounds, Make a Move Common to the Game?

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
If the video evidence clearly showed it was a catch according to the RULES the catch wouldn't have been overturned. A call on the field is never overturned unless there's conclusive evidence to overturn it.The NFL reviewed the call and stated it was the correct call under the RULE. You and the rest are just spewing sour grapes you need to move on training camp is almost here.
I'm not a part of this debate, but I strongly disagree with your statement (in bold) above. The NFL screws up reviewed calls seemingly every year. Some they don't change that they should and some they change that they shouldn't. On occasion they'll actually admit it...but not often. The league does not like to publicly admit when they screw up.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
LOL, some people in this thread need to get their prozac prescription filled. This is funny. It would have been one of the greatest catches of all time. It probably would have won the ESPY over Odells miraculous catch. It would have had football fans all over the world screaming how awesome it was. It would have replaced "The Catch" that Joe Montana threw a hundred years ago with this one. But, Dez hit the ground and the ball popped up. End of story. No Catch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'd agree however by saying "enough of a football move" makes it subjective. Or colored. Thus disputable.

A "football move" and "an act common to the game" made the ruling more controversial. Dez went up, caught the ball and reached for the goal line with the ball if that's not a "football move" or "an act common to the game" I don't know what is. Several days after the game Blandino was once again asked about the so called "football move" or "act common to the game" and he completely steered away from it focusing on Dez going to the ground and not hanging onto the football through the contact of the ground.

Szczepanik

Reaction score

So there was conclusive evidence to uphold the Green Bay call in the 1st half when the ball bounced into his hands? :D

In all honesty the whole point of the conversation is that there isn't conclusive evidence to make that bold claim. The entire NFL thought Dez caught it, except for a few of the refs that are trying to not taint a 2nd consecutive Dallas playoff game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not a part of this debate, but I strongly disagree with your statement (in bold) above. The NFL screws up reviewed calls seemingly every year. Some they don't change that they should and some they change that they shouldn't. On occasion they'll actually admit it...but not often. The league does not like to publicly admit when they screw up.

All calls come down to "judgment" the refs judgment and the fans judgment. The calls that have been screwed up the league owns up to them. There's been screwed up calls that have cost refs and their crews their job. I'm sure some of the calls you claim that are screwed up by the NFL are screwed up in your opinion. The Dez call wasn't screwed up but according to many FANS here it was screwed up.

blindzebra

Reaction score
For God's sake Blandino changed his reason from not enough of a football move to he was falling so he had to hold onto the ball.

He either did not know that a football move had no baring on the falling player as he later claimed or he was pulling an excuse out of his ***. His first excuse actually proves what most in this thread have been saying, that the 3 step process completes the catch and trumps the falling player exception, when the heat from that turns up he changes his story to the catch process does not matter for a falling player. He is either lying or incompetent...I put my money on both.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm done wasting my time with those who are in denial about the ball touching the ground and coming loose. If someone can't even concede that much then they're a lost cause. I hope some of you never get put on a jury.

Forget about them KJJ...you still have your 8 million online followers to fall back on.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
A "football move" and "an act common to the game" made the ruling more controversial. Dez went up, caught the ball and reached for the goal line with the ball if that's not a "football move" or "an act common to the game" I don't know what is. Several days after the game Blandino was once again asked about the so called "football move" or "act common to the game" and he completely steered away from it focusing on Dez going to the ground and not hanging onto the football through the contact of the ground.

To add to Blandino's screwed up explanation, In his explanation right after the game he said that Dez didn't make enough of a football move. When pressed on the issue in an interview a few hours later (after he'd had time to dissect his earlier answer) he said that they determined that Dez indisputably did not make a football move. Then, as you stated, he took the tact of completely steering away from that aspect of the play...(kind of like a magician using slight of hand in an attempt to fool the audience). There has been so much debate on the "football move" part of the play, that for him to say that Dez "indisputably did not make a football move" is simply asinine.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So there was conclusive evidence to uphold the Green Bay call in the 1st half when the ball bounced into his hands? :D

In all honesty the whole point of the conversation is that there isn't conclusive evidence to make that bold claim. The entire NFL thought Dez caught it, except for a few of the refs that are trying to not taint a 2nd consecutive Dallas playoff game.

There wasn't "conclusive" evidence that the ball hit the ground and not bounced off Cobb's hands. I've watched the play several times from the only angle that's provided and you simply can't tell for sure if the ball is bouncing off the ground or Cobb's hands. Dez caught the ball but under the RULE he didn't complete the process of the catch through the contact of the ground.