DMN: NFL VP of Officiating: It’s not unreasonable to watch everything Dez did and think

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If the video evidence clearly showed it was a catch according to the RULES the catch wouldn't have been overturned. A call on the field is never overturned unless there's conclusive evidence to overturn it.The NFL reviewed the call and stated it was the correct call under the RULE. You and the rest are just spewing sour grapes you need to move on training camp is almost here.

That is the definition of delusional right there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I take that as you knowing that to answer those questions your BS gets exposed. I don't need to do research I KNOW THE ANSWERS.

You're just looking to waste my time the fact that you're disputing the ball came loose says everything anyone needs to know about you.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I don't come here to play games I'm here to engage in serious football discussion with other knowledgeable fans. If it were me I would have called an incompletion on the Cobb play because the ball bounced. Appears you get your jollies by wasting the time of those who choose to be objective and understand the game. If you want to know what the intent of the Calvin Johnson rule is as well as other rule questions go do some research or ask someone involved in making the rules so you'll accept the answers better.

lmao....really. It just keeps getting better and better. No, you come here with your intent to "win arguments" (your words) and to call anyone that does not see your convoluted thinking FANS. As if that is some kind of put down.

I'm a FAN and damn proud of it...so are some of the other FANS on this board. Who knows what you are....

blindzebra

Reaction score
You're just looking to waste my time the fact that you're disputing the ball came loose says everything anyone needs to know about you.

Show me where I said it did not come loose...once again instead of answering the questions about the rules and how to apply them you resort to lying about previous posts.

Answer the questions mister objective opinion.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Actually, tons of us FANS do know everything about him. It's you that people are wondering about. Maybe a 49'er fan with a computer that is able to look up all kinds of stuff about the Cowboys to look smart...but, I am proud that I cannot and won't call you a FAN!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
The definition of delusional is what makes up at least 80% of this board.

So, let me get this straight. Are you saying that 80% on this board are FANS?

Wow....I wonder why?

lmao...

By the way, how do you know 80% are delusional? You have more than that on ignore!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Show me where I said it did not come loose...once again instead of answering the questions about the rules and how to apply them you resort to lying about previous posts.

Answer the questions mister objective opinion.

I posted a slo-mo frame by frame video sequence where Dez reaches the ball towards the goal line but his body covers the ball bouncing off the ground and coming loose. I then posted another video from a different angle of the same sequence and that angle clearly shows the ball bouncing off the ground and coming loose. You said and I quote: "for it to be indisputable you need to see both in the same view otherwise you are guessing." You've made some of the most ridiculous comments I've seen on this topic. LOL

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I posted a slo-mo frame by frame video sequence where Dez reaches the ball towards the goal line but his body covers the ball bouncing off the ground and coming loose. I then posted another video from a different angle of the same sequence and that angle clearly shows the ball bouncing off the ground and coming loose. You said and I quote: "for it to be indisputable you need to see both in the same view otherwise you are guessing." You've made some of the most ridiculous comments I've seen on this topic. LOL

Really? Then why are the majority of people in this discussion, aside from another troll or two who agree with you, don't agree with that statement? The only one looking ridiculous is....guess who? Uh, that would be you...but, at least your 8 million online followers like you. (why I don't have a friggen clue)! lol

Plankton

Reaction score
I give honest opinions your opinions are biased. There's no way to be 100% certain on the angle that's provided whether the ball bounced off the ground or Cobb's hands.

All opinions are biased.

Plumfool

Reaction score
The play would have never been as controversial had the NFL not come up with a "football move" or "an act common to the game." It just added confusion to the entire play which is why the NFL has done away with both terms.

However the terms were there at the time of the play. And DB not addressing it is what casts shade on the play.

You add four points of contact before Dez hits the ground. And the fact that Dez made a football move when he switched from his outside hand to his inside hand, (which coincidentally is taught at the lowest levels of football) with the stretch that both DB and MP acknowledged it's not a clear case of an incomplete pass.

Plankton

Reaction score
Not true some opinions are honest.

No, an opinion is inherently biased. Here's the definition:

Full Definition of OPINION
a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

b : approval, esteem
a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge

b : a generally held view
a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert

b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Not true some opinions are honest.

You know the saying, opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one.

If you think your's are honest, then you are lying to yourself. Narcissism is not a good trait. Seek therapy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
However the terms were there at the time of the play. And DB not addressing it is what casts shade on the play.

The terms were there but they were subjective based on one's own personal opinion which is why they've been removed. There wasn't a clear definition of exactly what a "football move" is there was too much judgment involved in determining it. The NFL is trying to remove as much judgment from calls as possible.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No, an opinion is inherently biased. Here's the definition:

Full Definition of OPINION
a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

b : approval, esteem
a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge

b : a generally held view
a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert

b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

I don't care what the definition says most of my opinions are based on facts not bias.

Plankton

Reaction score
Here's the rule from the NFL Rule Book on Completing a Pass:

http://static.nfl.com/static/conten...pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS
Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass
A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining
control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

Note 2: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose
control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body other than his
hands to the ground, or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch.

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting
the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

To me, the underlined portion is significant here. When Bryant went to the ground, he had control of the ball. At the time he hit the ground, he had control of the ball. It was after he hit the ground that he lost control of it. In losing it, it never contacted the ground without him being in possession of it: it came loose, and he secured it before it hit the ground. On that basis, reading the rule as written, the play was a catch, and should have been a touchdown.